+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of our managers in recent times have gone on to bigger and better?

How many of our managers in recent times have gone on to bigger and better?

Watching Match of the Day and looking at Leicester's manager, Brendan Rogers. Swansea have had a number of managers who have moved on to better things, so I thought I'd look at how we've fared.

Since 2000 and excluding caretaker managers, we've had 10 managers since Frankie Burrows departed in our 1999/2000 relegation season.

Billy Ayre - sadly passed away.
    Bobby Gould - disappeared into oblivion.
    Alan Cork - no further decent management jobs.
    Lennie Lawrence - no further decent management jobs.
    Dave Jones - brief unsuccessful spell at Sheffield Wednesday.
    Malky Mackay - sacked under a cloud, never reemployed.
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - returned to Norway, no signs that he'd take over at Man Utd.
    Russell Slade - biggest job of his career, not got close to the Championship since.
    Paul Trollope - cheap option after Slade was sacked. Not likely to get a decent management job again.
    Neil Warnock - possibly his last managerial job.

I make it that we haven't had any managers since 2000 that have done so well that bigger clubs have thought of taking them on. No forward thinking managers to take the club forward. We've mainly had steady hands.

Re: How many of our managers in recent times have gone on to bigger and better?

Solskjaer IS manager at Man U though.

Literally Ole is the only one

I love how you tried to play down Ole, just happens to be managing the biggest club in the world.

I know he wasn't successful, but Mackay did manage after leaving us.

Solskjaer, but that's due to his playing career

Unfair to call jones a steady hand too.
    He was definitely forward thinking here and did get Sheffield Wednesday promoted to the Championship against the odds at the time.
    He probably deserved another job at championship level after us.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I know he wasn't successful, but Mackay did manage after leaving us.
    I'd forgotten about that briefest of stints at Wigan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Unfair to call jones a steady hand too.
    He was definitely forward thinking here and did get Sheffield Wednesday promoted to the Championship against the odds at the time.
    He probably deserved another job at championship level after us.
    I wouldn't regard any manager who sticks rigidly with the same formation and tactics as forward thinking. Giving him credit for winning promotion with Wednesday is a tad generous as he was only there for the last 2 months of that season. The abysmal way Wednesday started the following season with his failure to get us promoted are probably the main reasons no Championship side ended up employing him. Billy Davies was another who got close to promotion but disappeared into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Solskjaer, but that's due to his playing career
    And it's ironic that he was a failure at City.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd forgotten about that briefest of stints at Wigan.
    Didn’t he manage Scotland for one game?

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I love how you tried to play down Ole, just happens to be managing the biggest club in the world.
    For now....only because of his connections to the club aswell, not because of his achievements. As much as I dislike Swansea they have had countless managers they’ve actually got money for, it’s one thing gonzo got right. It will be very interesting to see who replaces Neil, I’d hope for someone like Bellamy maybe to set us us for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And he's not doing that well at Man U.

Phil Neal left us for Manchester City (and flopped) but I guess that was too long ago to qualify for "Recent Times".

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Phil Neal left us for Manchester City (and flopped) but I guess that was too long ago to qualify for "Recent Times".
    Wasn’t he in charge when we finished the lowest we ever have and drew most games....crikey if you think yesterday was dull you should have seen the 1990’s.....

..Jones had a stint at Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Not for long though.

I don’t think he’ll do anything after this job either

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And is doing so well at Man U.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9116221.html

So, does this mean we are a graveyard of managers ? We only appoint no hopers or managers on the way down or out. What limited success achieved amongst those listed was not by good long term prospects. Perhaps the next Eddie Howe is not going to beat a path to our door ?

Lawernce has done well alongside Flynn at the County. Far from a flop. A lower leagues solid professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Lawernce has done well alongside Flynn at the County. Far from a flop. A lower leagues solid professional.
    I don't disagree, but since he was sacked by us he has only managed 2 games. As a manager, he's done bugger all since he left us. Knowledgeable guy to have as assistant, but not a manager.

Going back to 1974 Frank O’Farrell led Iran to the Asian Cup after his short spell with us. Apparently he’s still alive at the age of 91, surely our oldest living former manager (if he hasn’t passed).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I wouldn't regard any manager who sticks rigidly with the same formation and tactics as forward thinking. Giving him credit for winning promotion with Wednesday is a tad generous as he was only there for the last 2 months of that season. The abysmal way Wednesday started the following season with his failure to get us promoted are probably the main reasons no Championship side ended up employing him. Billy Davies was another who got close to promotion but disappeared into oblivion.
    Billy Davies now thats a manager i think could have done a job for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Worst haircut in football

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    I bet other clubs thought Jones could have done a job for them.

Opinions are objective. That's an aspect of being a football fan I find most interesting. Both Jones and Davies disappeared at roughly the same time. Why were they not trusted with a promotion seeking side again?