+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff win but don’t really stick to the 19/20 script.

Cardiff win but don’t really stick to the 19/20 script.

Re: Cardiff win but don’t really stick to the 19/20 script.

Sounds like another thriller.....

How do you think the midfield will line up when Pack returns? I presume there will be no place for Tomlin?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

How do you think the midfield will line up when Pack returns? I presume there will be no place for Tomlin?
    Nervy, not boring, but pretty poor quality.

Boro were as poor as I’ve ever seen them.

Next few weeks are going to be interesting, we’ve not really played a team in form yet and have QPR, West Brom, Bristol and Swansea coming up.

We are starting to look more organised and solid, but decision making around the box and quality of finishing is still pretty poor.

I caught a bit of Quest last night.

They said about Warburton “he’s always been a 4231 man but he’s realised he needs to play Wells and Hugill in the same team”

So he’s basically changed it to play to his teams strengths by having them 2 on the pitch together.

We’ll play the same tired formation all season.

Patterson being played because he’s solid, rather than using someone there who can attack says it ****ing all about us this season.

Thats a very fair synopsis of yesterdays game.
    I thought Bacuna and Whyte were excellent .
    Its great to see a player improve as much as Bacuna has, almost like having a top new signing.
    We badly need a centre forward, Bogle doesn't look the answer, perhaps a goal would give him that little bit of confidence, I dont see anything in Danny Ward at this level unfortunately.
    I am not a fan of Patterson , another hard wurkin player who lacks the skill levels required .If hard wurkin is your target the Patterson is your man . Rather depressingly he also plays for Scotland.
    Tomlin is more my type of player , someone who can actually play a bit of football with the ability to play the game changing pass , I dont think he is one of Neils favourites , for whatever reason...

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I caught a bit of Quest last night.

They said about Warburton “he’s always been a 4231 man but he’s realised he needs to play Wells and Hugill in the same team”

So he’s basically changed it to play to his teams strengths by having them 2 on the pitch together.

We’ll play the same tired formation all season.

Patterson being played because he’s solid, rather than using someone there who can attack says it ****ing all about us this season.
    I was surprised to see QPR so near the top. Early days yet but Warburton seems to be doing an excellent job there

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Thats a very fair synopsis of yesterdays game.
    I thought Bacuna and Whyte were excellent .
    Its great to see a player improve as much as Bacuna has, almost like having a top new signing.
    We badly need a centre forward, Bogle doesn't look the answer, perhaps a goal would give him that little bit of confidence, I dont see anything in Danny Ward at this level unfortunately.
    I am not a fan of Patterson , another hard wurkin player who lacks the skill levels required .If hard wurkin is your target the Patterson is your man . Rather depressingly he also plays for Scotland.
    Tomlin is more my type of player , someone who can actually play a bit of football with the ability to play the game changing pass , I dont think he is one of Neils favourites , for whatever reason...
    I though the article was fair and well written too.

Can’t see Tomlin being more than an impact player now.

It’ll be 3 of Ralls, Bacuna, Pack and Paterson.

Yesterday Boro put out a side to physically match us, so I could sort of understand why Warnock stick with what he did, but I was left feeling that we could have killed them off in that last 20 if Tomlin had come on, particularly with Paterson becoming tired and less effective.

Paterson, in fairness to him did his job in the air, but seems to have lost his effectiveness around the box and his off the ball runs were poor. Often taking space away from other attackers or going into a place where the pass just wasn’t possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I was surprised to see QPR so near the top. Early days yet but Warburton seems to be doing an excellent job there
    Same to be honest, although he’s a good manager I didn’t see it. Neither did my mate who’s supported them 50+ years who I speak to regularly.

Point is though that their manager has seen something and changed it. What do we get?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I suppose they could switch to 4-3-3 and play Pack, Bacuna and Ralls with the latter being the one charged with getting forward to support the central striker (I think Ralls could score regularly at Championship level if he was given the licence to get further forward, but as a number ten type? Don't see it myself, so you'd still have the same problem I mentioned about there not being enough players who thought like forwards.

I don't think Warnock really wants Tomlin in the team and once Pack is fit, I don't see him starting many games. In the most recent one he played for us (Fulham) he played a pass that very few others at the club could through to Glatzer just after we'd scored which could easily have produced another goal, but that was, more or less, all he did in the game because he was in possession so little and, if you have as little of the ball as that, this manager would expect you to justify your place by your defensive contribution.

Back to central midfield, I think Ralls will always be picked by Neil Warnock at this level and he seems to see Pack as a very important on field influence, so I'd say Bacuna would be the, unlucky, one to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I suppose they could switch to 4-3-3 and play Pack, Bacuna and Ralls with the latter being the one charged with getting forward to support the central striker (I think Ralls could score regularly at Championship level if he was given the licence to get further forward, but as a number ten type? Don't see it myself, so you'd still have the same problem I mentioned about there not being enough players who thought like forwards.

I don't think Warnock really wants Tomlin in the team and once Pack is fit, I don't see him starting many games. In the most recent one he played for us (Fulham) he played a pass that very few others at the club could through to Glatzer just after we'd scored which could easily have produced another goal, but that was, more or less, all he did in the game because he was in possession so little and, if you have as little of the ball as that, this manager would expect you to justify your place by your defensive contribution.

Back to central midfield, I think Ralls will always be picked by Neil Warnock at this level and he seems to see Pack as a very important on field influence, so I'd say Bacuna would be the, unlucky, one to miss out.
    A lot of it isn’t just down to the formation I think. It’s player instructions and what they’re allowed to do.

2 teams playing a 433 with 3 CM could be 2 completely different attacking forces, we don’t necessarily need a 10 to get someone up to support the front 3 we just need a CM that’s allowed to push up.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Same to be honest, although he’s a good manager I didn’t see it. Neither did my mate who’s supported them 50+ years who I speak to regularly.

Point is though that their manager has seen something and changed it. What do we get?
    Still early days yet mind.

Hughill would have been a good signing for us

I'm surprised he seems wedded to the 4-2-3-1 seeing as we were promoted playing 4-3-3

Bennett was awful

Still early days yet mind.

Hughill would have been a good signing for us
    It’s worrying that other managers can be proactive and Warnock just.. well

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

In rugby they now describe subs as "finishers" and I think that is a perfect description for the role Hoilett is playing for us currently. I don't think Tomlin could have been a "finisher" yesterday but his impact would have been tenfold, and the threat level of our team, against Fulham if he had come on after Arter had been sent off rather than starting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Bennett was awful
    Why?

Bennett was awful
    You must have been watching a different match to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    You must have been watching a different match to me.
    and me

I thought Bennett was very good yesterday, admittedly he hasn't been at his best this season so far. Peltier was good too, and Morrison and Flint were really impressive at the centre of defence. Murphy was obviously ill and Whyte had his best game. Ralls and Bacuna were excellent. And Bogle did well up front, I do not understand why the ever unimpressive Ward was brought on? But the weak link is Paterson, it's like we've got 10 men every game! He won a few headers and his positional play, defensively, was tidy, but he offers not much else. So when we are looking to attack there's nobody there who can do anything. Mind you it's a good job Middlesbrough were awful.

Bennett was awful
    He put one poor cross in after we worked a decent position with him overlapping but apart from that I thought it was it his best game for us this season. Looked to overlap when he could but it’s obvious he’s under instruction not to push too far which seems to go against his natural game.

I though the article was fair and well written too.

Can’t see Tomlin being more than an impact player now.

It’ll be 3 of Ralls, Bacuna, Pack and Paterson.

Yesterday Boro put out a side to physically match us, so I could sort of understand why Warnock stick with what he did, but I was left feeling that we could have killed them off in that last 20 if Tomlin had come on, particularly with Paterson becoming tired and less effective.

Paterson, in fairness to him did his job in the air, but seems to have lost his effectiveness around the box and his off the ball runs were poor. Often taking space away from other attackers or going into a place where the pass just wasn’t possible.
    Agree with what you say Tim. All I could think yesterday was wouldn’t it be nice if we could actually put a team away and have a comfortable score margin. It was obvious that Paterson was having absolutely no impact but I thought if Warnock would have made a sub, it would have been Vaulks or Nelson who would have come on, rather than someone positive thinking like Tomlin.

Paterson looks like a shadow of the player from the previous championship season. He looks unfit, lacking pace and lacks any quality on the ball. He had a knack of timing runs into box so well in 2017/18 season but even that seems to have deserted him now. I’d rather as you say have Pack come back into the team at his expense if it’s not Tomlin or Hoilett in the ‘number 10’ role.