+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: English voters in Wales tilted it towards Brexit

English voters in Wales tilted it towards Brexit

I know it's a politics thread but it's more likely to have a bit of a life here before it gets moved

It always did seem strange to me that Wales voted out, new research might explain why

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rexit-research

Re: English voters in Wales tilted it towards Brexit

Not many English 'settlers' living in Blaenau Gwent and Torfaen, which voted 60% to leave.

Apparently, some parts of Wales are more 'genuinely Welsh' than others.

I think it’s probably got more to do with the fact that we have a high proportion of uneducated people in Wales, who are unfortunately eligible to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Not many English 'settlers' living in Blaenau Gwent and Torfaen, which voted 60% to leave.
    Broadly agree with you but you'd be surprised. I grew up in a pretty much rural area of Blaenau Gwent with the street I lived on leading into Powys. Both of my parents neighbours there now are English retirees, moved to the area because they got more bang for their buck than moving a few minutes up the road to say Crickhowell. They go on multiple holidays a year and live pretty much in the Brecon Beacons.

Don't know how they voted tbf but one of the households would have most definitely voted for Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I think it’s probably got more to do with the fact that we have a high proportion of uneducated people in Wales, who are unfortunately eligible to vote.
    this

And Scottish ....... Freedom.......

Christ.they'd be queueing up to give you a verbal bashing on the other forum.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I know it's a politics thread but it's more likely to have a bit of a life here before it gets moved

It always did seem strange to me that Wales voted out, new research might explain why

I'd like to see this broken down by towns , as I thought the majority of English folk live and like the more rural posher bordrer areas of Wales , and I suspect a lot of Brexit votes were from old Labour heartlands valley communities .

Isn't that why Farage is targeting Wales??
    as he suspects theres more Labour Welsh Voters to be had than the small percentage of English retirees.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    And I think Caerphilly leaning Brexit must be hiding thier English maruders in the castle and just letting them out for elections 😂

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Christ.they'd be queueing up to give you a verbal bashing on the other forum.
    All the uneducated and unwashed are on the other forum. I left it long ago, it was doing my head in. They've got some right beauties to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by G angetown Blue View Post
    Don't be so patronising...the whole of Wales voted to LEAVE!!!

It's the Guardian, so it's just more remain bollocks!

International

Are you suggesting that uneducated shouldn't be allowed to vote? some may think if you applied that across the board there would never be another labour government.
    And what criteria would you use to determine what you consider is a proportionate level of education?
    It's just too silly

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Don't be so patronising...the whole of Wales voted to LEAVE!!!
    I didn't. I also didn't vote for medicine shortages, people to lose their jobs, livelihoods, security and freedoms. Sadly, I'm seeing rising numbers of Brexiters who are happy for suffering so long as we leave. The argument was that we'd be better off out of the EU, to we'll be ok, to we don't know but we might be alright, to a bit of suffering won't hurt anyone as we survived the war, to not giving a shit if people are affected.

Whatever your opinions on Brexit, to happily accept suffering by others is utterly despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I didn't. I also didn't vote for medicine shortages, people to lose their jobs, livelihoods, security and freedoms. Sadly, I'm seeing rising numbers of Brexiters who are happy for suffering so long as we leave. The argument was that we'd be better off out of the EU, to we'll be ok, to we don't know but we might be alright, to a bit of suffering won't hurt anyone as we survived the war, to not giving a shit if people are affected.

Whatever your opinions on Brexit, to happily accept suffering by others is utterly despicable.
    'effin 'ell

But do we know there will be medicine shortages.

As I pointed out in the Operation Yellowhammer thread taking insulin as an example there shouldn't be given the long storage life and a bit of foresight.

Mind you you sneered at my knowledge then and never acknowledge my response so I am not holding my breath for a reply!

Oh and as I said on that thread I voted Remain as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    'effin 'ell
    Glad you find the possiblity of people being worse off after Brexit amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    But do we know there will be medicine shortages.

As I pointed out in the Operation Yellowhammer thread taking insulin as an example there shouldn't be given the long storage life and a bit of foresight.

Mind you you sneered at my knowledge then and never acknowledge my response so I am not holding my breath for a reply!

Oh and as I said on that thread I voted Remain as well
    We don't know that there won't be. NHS chiefs have told people to be aware of the possibility.

Whether it happens or not after Brexit, there are still plenty of morons out there who will happily take that risk. I don't understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

Cardiff didn’t vote out, nor did most of the bigger multi cultural cities in England.

Glad you find the possiblity of people being worse off after Brexit amusing.
    I'm just amused by the way you present conjecture as fact. I'd even go as far to say that your rhetoric has more than a hint of project fear to it!

I would love to know the average earnings of the Brexit voters V Remain. It seems to me that the people who haven't got a pot to piddle in predominately voted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'm just amused by the way you present conjecture as fact. I'd even go as far to say that your rhetoric has more than a hint of project fear to it!
    Ok, I'll rephrase.

There are Brexiters who couldn't care less about the possibility of others losing jobs, their livelihoods etc. You cannot be 100% sure that everything will be absolutely fine from the moment we leave, so you are prepared to run the risk of people being worse off etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    I would love to know the average earnings of the Brexit voters V Remain. It seems to me that the people who haven't got a pot to piddle in predominately voted out.
    Opinion polls suggest two trains of thought on this. Either people are skint and don't think things can get any worse, or people have done their life's work and don't think they'll be affected.

But how can anyone be totally sure that all the doom is going to happen. The way some people have gone into meltdown just when the word Brexit is mentioned is odd. Do they think there wasn't any Job loses, drug/ food/ fuel shortages, queues at Calais, housing price crashes, recessions, riots etc etc before June 2016?