+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Climate Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Climate Change

There's an interesting argument to do away with all taxes except for VAT.
    It would be difficult to avoid paying it if you're living here.
    Things thAt were subject to tax would be roughly double the cost but you'd pay no income tax or nat insurance.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There's an interesting argument to do away with all taxes except for VAT.
    It would be difficult to avoid paying it if you're living here.
    Things thAt were subject to tax would be roughly double the cost but you'd pay no income tax or nat insurance.
    The Liberals were advocating this years ago. You do not pay any tax on money you do not spend so your savings grow faster. Which is OK until you then spend them.
    The problem with it is if the government had no idea what their tax income might be they couldn't budget to run the country. (some may say they can't anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The Liberals were advocating this years ago. You do not pay any tax on money you do not spend so your savings grow faster. Which is OK until you then spend them.
    The problem with it is if the government had no idea what their tax income might be they couldn't budget to run the country. (some may say they can't anyway )
    I guess there would be a big upsurge in smuggling goods bought abroad, especially for more expensive items, but then the people currently working in the existing tax system could be repurposed to counteract this.

The good thing would be real.essentials like food and children's clothes would be tax free

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I guess there would be a big upsurge in smuggling goods bought abroad, especially for more expensive items, but then the people currently working in the existing tax system could be repurposed to counteract this.

The good thing would be real.essentials like food and children's clothes would be tax free
    They already are.

They already are.
    I think he means because there would be no tax on income either.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think he means because there would be no tax on income either.
    That isn't what he said, but anyway they are tax free and would presumably remain so.

That isn't what he said, but anyway they are tax free and would presumably remain so.
    It was in a conversation about scrapping income tax. I don't think he needed to explicitly spell it out.