Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
It’s been widely reported that market uncertainty has had a significant effect on Thomas Cook due to Brexit.
It’s also well know that currency devaluation has played a large part in their problems, again due to Brexit.
I totally agree that Thomas Cook were still relying on an outdated business model, but the I believe spending the £200m was a risk worth taking to buy the company some time to reorganise itself, maybe by selling off the airline.
The difference between them and TUI is that they were more reliant on the UK market, which is exposed... because of Brexit.
There are far greater differences between the two than just markets. TUI has changed quite a bit to differentiate itself by essentially taking over hotels to generate brand loyalty (eg Holiday Village). Which was good management. TUI also has a lot less debt.

And your two arguments don't really hang together anyway ( being i) Brexit caused the failure; and ii) Govt should have stumped up £200m to tide them over until they sort out their business model). Brexit isn't going away so if that's a significant reason for failure why would giving them time to sort out their business model help?