+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warsaw

Warsaw

Has anyone been? Would you recommend as a 3 day city break in December?

Re: Warsaw

I haven't been there myself but the higher average temperature in December is 2 degrees and the lowest minus 4.

A lovely city to visit. 3 days will give you enough time to see everything without rushing. You can spend a large chunk of a day just doing the old city. It is quite a big city but the tram system is great and cheap for a day ticket. For a nice early evening refreshment check out the market Hall. We ended up going there for an hour or two every evening as the atmosphere and food / drink was excellent.

I used the 'in your pocket guide' to give me a good overview of what there was to see and do.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Has anyone been? Would you recommend as a 3 day city break in December?
    Warsaw is a great place. But f you want to visit a city in Europe in December, I'd recommend somewhere a little further south.

I've been to Warsaw Indiana. Similar temperature in December to the other Warsaw probably, and a lot less to see

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Warsaw is a great place. But f you want to visit a city in Europe in December, I'd recommend somewhere a little further south.
    I have been to Sofia and Gdansk in December. Wrap up warm and keep moving and you will be fine. Just dress accordingly. Sometimes the bright blue skies of a cold december day can make the place look stunning. When I was in sofia with wind chill it was down to something like minus 10, it made the stopping off in a coffee shop more enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I have been to Sofia and Gdansk in December. Wrap up warm and keep moving and you will be fine. Just dress accordingly. Sometimes the bright blue skies of a cold december day can make the place look stunning. When I was in sofia with wind chill it was down to something like minus 10, it made the stopping off in a coffee shop more enjoyable!
    Yeah, a bit of cool air never killed anybody! It's just more snowflake doom and gloom

I went for a 3 day break end of Oct 2017. It is not a great City and 3 days was far too long as there is very little to see. Maybe the xmas markets will keep you busier, but once you have seen the old town (which is only 30 years old having been bombed to bits and rebuilt) then you are virtually done, even the old town is a struggle for a full day.

Did manage to see Legia Warsaw while there which was great, but overall a disappointment.

If you want to be impressed for a 3 day break go to Krakow...we went for 3 days oct 2018. More than enough to see, and I would even go back again it was that enjoyable

I go to places to experience the anthropology, rather than visit the tourist traps, which are best avoided or at least minimised.

I found Pawiak Prison Museum & Marie Curie Museum (Muzeum Marii Sklodowskiej-Curie) the most interesting. The Old town featuring the castle & square is the tourist spot, but very pleasant to walk around. Mostly rebuilt after WW2.

Great City but as other have said wrap up warm, it gets in your bones!

Yes been, not sure about December 😂 great people, good value for UK peoples, great beer choice, cleanest European city I have been to, a great all round 3 day break and which I saw my lad play there with his band 🎶🎶🎶🎶 to put the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    A lovely city to visit. 3 days will give you enough time to see everything without rushing. You can spend a large chunk of a day just doing the old city. It is quite a big city but the tram system is great and cheap for a day ticket. For a nice early evening refreshment check out the market Hall. We ended up going there for an hour or two every evening as the atmosphere and food / drink was excellent.

I used the 'in your pocket guide' to give me a good overview of what there was to see and do.
    Was on my mobile earlier - here is a link to the Market Hall - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...al_Poland.html

In your pocket guide - https://www.inyourpocket.com/warsaw - download a pdf version here - https://www.inyourpocket.com/data/download/warsaw

You can put any email address in for the download so long as it is in an email format, eg bob@gmail.com

i was in chernobyl last november and it was -7, mild compared to there

Quote Originally Posted by lazbian View Post
    i was in chernobyl last november and it was -7, mild compared to there
    If you're going to Poland I'd recommend Krakow over Warsaw. My company has an office in Warsaw and I meet with my Polish counterparts a lot. Even they say that Krakow is a the nicer city.

Looking to go to Krakow in December. Was there in February but it was a trip with my mates and we did very little other than drink in the old town. Want to go back and do the salt mines, auschwitz etc. Expect it to be very cold but can't see it beating Iceland, now that was ridiculous. We had to wait on the plane for 90 mins upon arrival as it was too windy to open the door

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Looking to go to Krakow in December. Was there in February but it was a trip with my mates and we did very little other than drink in the old town. Want to go back and do the salt mines, auschwitz etc. Expect it to be very cold but can't see it beating Iceland, now that was ridiculous. We had to wait on the plane for 90 mins upon arrival as it was too windy to open the door
    I went last year and hired a bike. Spent 5 hours in the countryside, which was very pleasant. I also took a bus to Zakopane and went up the mountain in gondolas - and the hotels in Zakopane seemed very cheap off-season. Mine was £17 and a very decent hotel that looked like it should have cost a lot more.

Auschwitz and Birkenau are a must even though they are incredibly depressing, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I went last year and hired a bike. Spent 5 hours in the countryside, which was very pleasant. I also took a bus to Zakopane and went up the mountain in gondolas - and the hotels in Zakopane seemed very cheap off-season. Mine was £17 and a very decent hotel that looked like it should have cost a lot more.

Auschwitz and Birkenau are a must even though they are incredibly depressing, of course.
    Might look into that, cheers. And yeah, can imagine it's a very moving experience, it's one of the main reasons we decided not to bother when on a stag do style trip earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Might look into that, cheers. And yeah, can imagine it's a very moving experience, it's one of the main reasons we decided not to bother when on a stag do style trip earlier this year.
    Schindler's factory is also very well worth a visit - allow a few hours as there is loads to see. There is also a good museum under the main square - a bit like the Jorvik museum in York.

Schindler's factory gets insanely busy, book tickets beforehand and go as early as possible.

2 Footie teams there...Wisla and Cracovia, so for a football fix a bit easier

For me the Jewish quarter was amazing.....a full day required with a guided trip thrown in...the anthropology experience there was very interesting !!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Schindler's factory is also very well worth a visit
    I'll stick it on the list