+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would it happen here?

Re: Would it happen here?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I didn't mention the 60s because my recollections of that decade revolve around what was in the Dandy and Beano each week and not much else. Re the 1970s, had heroin, cocaine (or even LSD) been an integral part of yoof/working class culture in South Wales then I definitely would have known, and they weren't. I've seen the flick Quadrophenia. If that was an accurate reflection of mid-60s London and mods versus rockers then pill popping was the extent of the drugs scene.
    Organ's been taking red pills since 1999. Some would do well to pay attention!

You moaned about nobody giving examples of British cultural changes. I mentioned some. Rather than try and refute them you reverted to your tiresome 'they're out of touch' default position rather than articulate an alternative view. Up your game, boyo.
    But your cultural changes are bollocks, you think people weren’t taking any drugs other than weed in the 60s. You think crime has risen because couples have kids before getting married. You think the only crime before the 80s was football violence and petty stealing. It’s all wrong and easily proven.

I wasn’t asking about cultural changes I was asking what culture have we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Organ's been taking red pills since 1999. Some would do well to pay attention!
    Maybe if he took some blue ones he would get away from his computer once in a while.

Almost correct. Croesy Blue's even more fragile than Saint Rudy.
    Says the guy who's just posted 4 separate consecutive posts in reply to a comment made about him

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Where are the decent venues in Cardiff? Please tell....wow we have the tramshed
    As regards music venues, Cardiff is relatively poor, especially by comparison to Bristol. That's nothing new, though. It's been the case ever since I started going to gigs in 1980.

We do have Clwb Ifor Bach and the Moon Club, but that's about it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    "Are you following me around you weirdo."
    You just get used to certain posters patterns. You’ve scurried off a few times after failed attempts to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    As regards music venues, Cardiff is relatively poor, especially by comparison to Bristol. That's nothing new, though. It's been the case ever since I started going to gigs in 1980.

I have lived in both Cardiff and Bristol and I think Bristol does just about edge it, but I didn’t rate the carling academy to be honest which had a lot of bands that never made it to Cardiff, the fleece is ok but small and out the way. Quite liked gigs at the theckla though, not sure if it’s still going. Places like the point and coal ex were a big loss in Cardiff, we could do with a venue like the Concorde in Brighton. Strangely, when I lived in bristol for 5 yrs I found myself heading back to Cardiff more for gigs circa 2002/3 or off to London.

I have lived in both Cardiff and Bristol and I think Bristol does just about edge it, but I didn’t rate the carling academy to be honest which had a lot of bands that never made it to Cardiff, the fleece is ok but small and out the way. Quite liked gigs at the theckla though, not sure if it’s still going. Places like the point and coal ex were a big loss in Cardiff, we could do with a venue like the Concorde in Brighton. Strangely, when I lived in bristol for 5 yrs I found myself heading back to Cardiff more for gigs circa 2002/3 or off to London.
    I go to plenty of gigs - 34 so far this year. I guess it depends on the type of bands you're interested in, but I seem to go to gigs in Bristol more often than Cardiff and to a wider variety of venues there too.

Taking the last couple of years as an example, I've been to 14 different venues in Bristol - the Thekla (still going strong), the Louisiana, the Exchange, the Thunderbolt, the Crofters Rights, the Fleece, the O2 Academy (hate that place), the Anson Rooms, the Trinity Centre, SWX, the Bierkeller (finally shut last year), Zed Alley, the Mother's Ruin and Rough Trade.

During the same period, I've been to just 8 different venues in my home town of Cardiff - Clwb Ifor Bach, the Moon Club, Fuel, the Globe, Gwdihw (now shut), the Tramshed (which I can't stand), the Uni and the Motorpoint.

In my experience, Cardiff has never been able to support many music venues. Sadly, they usually end up shutting after a few years, the Point and the Coal Exchange being prime examples. That's not a new development either - it's been the same since the Eighties when I began going to gigs.

I meant to add, coincidentally the last gig I was at was in Brighton's Concorde 2!

Yep agree, the independent music scene in Bristol is excellent.

The Louisiana, The Tunnels, The Exchange , Fleece, The Lanes , Thekla , crickey I could go on for hours .

Started with Travel Agents, dipped into racism, had a little segue into drugs and is now on the South Wales and West music scene. What a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You just get used to certain posters patterns. You’ve scurried off a few times after failed attempts to prove me wrong.
    The only time I remember conversing with you in the last few months was the Thomas cook thread when, yes you guessed it, it was William who scurried off. As for sniping, well who's sniping here?

Projection, William. How's your mum, by the way? Are you still telling her about your chats on here?

The only time I remember conversing with you in the last few months was the Thomas cook thread when, yes you guessed it, it was William who scurried off. As for sniping, well who's sniping here?

Projection, William. How's your mum, by the way? Are you still telling her about your chats on here?
    What about the time you were accusing me of being racist, but had nothing to back it up?
    Then the thread where you were adamant that every racist in the UK had voted for Brexit.
    You disappeared from those threads quicker than Dan James over 10 yards.. what a mug!

What about the time you were accusing me of being racist, but had nothing to back it up?
    Then the thread where you were adamant that every racist in the UK had voted for Brexit.
    You disappeared from those threads quicker than Dan James over 10 yards.. what a mug!
    The first was after you'd made a racist joke and I've never said the second. Keep the sniping coming William

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    But your cultural changes are bollocks, you think people weren’t taking any drugs other than weed in the 60s. You think crime has risen because couples have kids before getting married. You think the only crime before the 80s was football violence and petty stealing. It’s all wrong and easily proven.

I wasn’t asking about cultural changes I was asking what culture have we lost.
    Again, I didn't mention the 60s. For the 70s, if you really believe the drugs culture was anywhere close to the humongous level of today then you must be off your rocker.

I told you what culture I believe has been lost in the first sentence of my initial post - which is the collapse of Christianity. Yes, you could rightly contend that some people still attend places of Christian worship in the UK and therefore that culture hasn't completely vanished. But it's all but disappeared. As I implied, that demise coincided with it becoming far more socially acceptable to have illegitimate children, and today almost half UK babies are born outside marriage. I'd wager the percentage of babies born within wedlock is much higher for those of mothers of the Hindu, Muslim and (especially) Sikh faiths than it is for those females who self-identify as Christians or atheists.

The first was after you'd made a racist joke and I've never said the second. Keep the sniping coming William
    You get top marks for hypocrisy. You're a full time drive by sniper. Your MO is making useless one-line observations and bugger off.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Started with Travel Agents, dipped into racism, had a little segue into drugs and is now on the South Wales and West music scene. What a thread.
    Nothing like staying on point.....

Again, I didn't mention the 60s. For the 70s, if you really believe the drugs culture was anywhere close to the humongous level of today then you must be off your rocker.

I told you what culture I believe has been lost in the first sentence of my initial post - which is the collapse of Christianity. Yes, you could rightly contend that some people still attend places of Christian worship in the UK and therefore that culture hasn't completely vanished. But it's all but disappeared. As I implied, that demise coincided with it becoming far more socially acceptable to have illegitimate children, and today almost half UK babies are born outside marriage. I'd wager the percentage of babies born within wedlock is much higher for those of mothers of the Hindu, Muslim and (especially) Sikh faiths than it is for those females who self-identify as Christians or atheists.
    Drug culture in the 60’s was rare, all the hippy bs was just for a small group of mainly wealthy kids who went to uni etc.....not the masses at all. Mods were popping pills but there weren’t so many of them either. My father in law was a mod in Cardiff back then so I’m forever hearing stories about it and in London where he went to live.

I go to plenty of gigs - 34 so far this year. I guess it depends on the type of bands you're interested in, but I seem to go to gigs in Bristol more often than Cardiff and to a wider variety of venues there too.

Taking the last couple of years as an example, I've been to 14 different venues in Bristol - the Thekla (still going strong), the Louisiana, the Exchange, the Thunderbolt, the Crofters Rights, the Fleece, the O2 Academy (hate that place), the Anson Rooms, the Trinity Centre, SWX, the Bierkeller (finally shut last year), Zed Alley, the Mother's Ruin and Rough Trade.

During the same period, I've been to just 8 different venues in my home town of Cardiff - Clwb Ifor Bach, the Moon Club, Fuel, the Globe, Gwdihw (now shut), the Tramshed (which I can't stand), the Uni and the Motorpoint.

In my experience, Cardiff has never been able to support many music venues. Sadly, they usually end up shutting after a few years, the Point and the Coal Exchange being prime examples. That's not a new development either - it's been the same since the Eighties when I began going to gigs.

Shame about gwdihw, not a big venue but still had some decent nights there. How come you don’t like the tramshed? I’ve not been yet but lots of mates go regularly.

Shame about gwdihw, not a big venue but still had some decent nights there. How come you don’t like the tramshed? I’ve not been yet but lots of mates go regularly.
    There are a number of issues with the venue, but easily the biggest is the capacity. It's set at around 800 for most gigs but can be raised under the licensing agreement to 1,000 on six occasions a year, which is just ridiculous. In truth, the capacity should have been set at around 700 as an absolute maximum. Any more than that and it gets very uncomfortable. Whenever a gig is either sold out or close to it, access to the bar becomes difficult and access to the toilets can be nigh on impossible depending on where you are stood when it gets busy. It's genuinely dangerous on occasions.

The capacity issue is compounded by an awful entry system and lax security, meaning people can often wander into the venue without buying a ticket. I've witnessed this happen on several occasions and I've walked into the venue myself without showing my ticket to anyone on two occasions, one of which was a sold-out show. You can then walk back to the outside bar and pass your ticket over the railings to someone else if it hasn't been checked, meaning the capacity gets stretched even further.

As an example of how it can get at the Tramshed, I went to a sold-out show there in March. I wasn't particularly interested in the headline act, Idles, but me and my partner were on the support band's guest list. We arrived early to see them and it was great, they put in a good performance, went down well with a lively crowd that was probably around the 400 to 500 mark at that stage of the evening and access to the bar and the toilets was no issue. After they'd finished their set, the place quickly became rammed and by the time Idles hit the stage you could barely move in there. It was stupid. As we attempted to leave halfway through the Idles set, my partner was literally lifted off her feet and carried a few yards backwards in the crush. Had we been close to the stage, it would have been one of those things. However, we were right at the back of the venue between the mixing desk and the bar! It took ages to get from one side of the venue to the exits and it felt genuinely dangerous.

I've seen a few decent gigs there when the crowd has been around 500 to 600, but it gets daft when it's 800 and utterly ridiculous when it's 1,000. The bar is also poor - way overpriced, limited selection of drinks, lager like piss, generally poor service. In my circle of friends, almost all of us who go to gigs regularly (especially the females) can't stand the Tramshed, but those who only go to gigs occasionally seem to quite like it.

Personally, I now deliberately avoid gigs at the Tramshed that are likely to be sold out no matter how much I like the acts because the experience just ain't enjoyable enough when it's rammed.

Nothing more annoying at a gig than a ten deep bar where when you do finally get there you can barely get out again and lose a good portion of your drinks....sounds like the tramshed is a bit of a nightmare, maybe youngsters will put up with that but not in your mid 40’s hey. Love the way you know exactly how many gigs you’ve been to this year btw gunman, forever on it with the stats.
    What did you head to the concord for?

You’re wasting your time with Rudy. He’s a sensitive soul with tunnel vision.
    Think he’s also had a humour by-pass op as well.

Nothing more annoying at a gig than a ten deep bar where when you do finally get there you can barely get out again and lose a good portion of your drinks....sounds like the tramshed is a bit of a nightmare, maybe youngsters will put up with that but not in your mid 40’s hey. Love the way you know exactly how many gigs you’ve been to this year btw gunman, forever on it with the stats.
    What did you head to the concord for?
    I've been keeping a list of the gigs I attend for the last decade simply because I often forget who I've seen, especially when it comes to support bands. It's an age thing.....

For me, not being able to get to the toilet when I need to at a gig is more of a concern than the bar. Again, it's an age thing.....

I went to Brighton just after the last bank holiday to see Bodega. They're a band from Brooklyn I stumbled across last summer at Clwb Ifor Bach and I instantly fell in love with them. Great people, too. So far I've seen them live five times in Cardiff (twice), Berlin, Leicester and Brighton. I have my own bespoke Bodega t-shirt made for me by the female vocalist. Such a pathetic fanboy, even at the age of 52.

I've been keeping a list of the gigs I attend for the last decade simply because I often forget who I've seen, especially when it comes to support bands. It's an age thing.....

For me, not being able to get to the toilet when I need to at a gig is more of a concern than the bar. Again, it's an age thing.....

I went to Brighton just after the last bank holiday to see Bodega. They're a band from Brooklyn I stumbled across last summer at Clwb Ifor Bach and I instantly fell in love with them. Great people, too. So far I've seen them live five times in Cardiff (twice), Berlin, Leicester and Brighton. I have my own bespoke Bodega t-shirt made for me by the female vocalist. Such a pathetic fanboy, even at the age of 52.

Thank god for the welsh club, couldn’t tell you how many bands I’ve seen there, often go there three times a week in the 90’s...

You’re wasting your time with Rudy. He’s a sensitive soul with tunnel vision.
    Think he’s also had a humour by-pass op as well.
    You’re wasting your time kissing someone’s arse on a messageboard you gimp