+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: China Crisis, They Ain't No OMD Are They?

China Crisis, They Ain't No OMD Are They?

Ive seen a couple of '80s bands in the past few years OMD continue to be one of my favourite ever 'bands'. I'm off to see them again next month and in my opinion Mcluscky still puts on a great show. I also have tix to see China Crisis live in Pentyrch (of all places), but from what i've seen (on you tube) they are way past it and look like a poor tribute band.

Anyone seen them or have an opinion?

Re: China Crisis, They Ain't No OMD Are They?

Is the Pentyrch venue that old church? It looks like a semi-acoustic gig - I find those things can stand or fall on the chat and personal nature of the singer and I've heard Garry Daly is a bit gobby so you'll probably be alright. Got a couple of mates who still rate CC and will probably be at the same show.

Yes, the old church on the corner, I've seen a few artists there and its a nice little venue. The irony is that I probably had CC on my walkman on the school bus going past that church, and now they are playing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Yes, the old church on the corner, I've seen a few artists there and its a nice little venue. The irony is that I probably had CC on my walkman on the school bus going past that church, and now they are playing there.
    The Acapela, my lad has played there a few times.

I saw China Crisis at the Globe last year. They're not my type of band at all, but I went along to keep a friend company as she had a spare ticket. They seemed pretty good at what they were doing and went down really well with an enthusiastic crowd. The vocalist didn't shut up, though. He was quite funny to start with but gradually became irritating. I'm all for a story or two between tracks, but he was pushing it.

I never much cared for them. For all their admiration for Bowie, Roxy, Eno etc they really lacked a creative edge. Very much a 2nd tier act.

I think it's a bit difficult to compare C. C. With OMD, even in their heyday. They produced quieter more melodic work whereas OMD had a much richer, faster sound and a lot of it was danceable. I've liked a lot of C. C. Stuff but never seen them live. I have however been an omd fan since 1978 (oops showing my age), got every album and seen them live countless times, they never fail to deliver. I have been dragged to quite a few gigs to see bands I don't know much about and even some I didn't like but I still enjoyed the night out so I hope you enjoy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I never much cared for them. For all their admiration for Bowie, Roxy, Eno etc they really lacked a creative edge. Very much a 2nd tier act.
    3rd tier act bit like OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    3rd tier act bit like OMD.
    😖😖😢😢

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you ever enjoy anything other than purving over young girls on the subway every day?

can't compare them, two different genres

https://youtu.be/xcld29T8Uh4
    Always liked this. 👍
    Seen them in their early days. They were decent.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    https://youtu.be/xcld29T8Uh4
    Always liked this. 👍
    Seen them in their early days. They were decent.
    Got that on picture disc somewhere in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Got that on picture disc somewhere in the attic.
    Not a bad version. The original is way overproduced and watered down though. And it's got that awful Pino Palladino-style fretless bass sound. The most abominable of noises.