+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today’s highlights

Today’s highlights

Re: Today’s highlights

Think Smithies should’ve got over to the free kick?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Think Smithies should’ve got over to the free kick?
    One that will split opinion. It was placed brilliantly.

Should have saved that free kick. Not sure what was going on for the second goal.

Looked like we had a few decent chances though.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Should have saved that free kick. Not sure what was going on for the second goal.

Looked like we had a few decent chances though.
    Smithies shouldn't really get done on his near post although it was placed well, for him to save it he'd have had to have collided with the post. Their freekick was a great delivery whipped in but there's no way that the Hull player should have had a free header, all Flint had to do was get infront of the player who scored.

Morrison saved us at the death.

Look at how far forward Bacuna gets for our first goal. That's the benefit of playing with Pack sat in front of the back four.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Smithies shouldn't really get done on his near post although it was placed well, for him to save it he'd have had to have collided with the post. Their freekick was a great delivery whipped in but there's no way that the Hull player should have had a free header, all Flint had to do was get infront of the player who scored.
    Warnock says he was fouled.
    Haven’t watched it myself

I couldn't see a foul in there for their second goal. As for the first goal, I would say that the only way Smithies might be blamed is possibly in the lining up of the wall - there were two superb dead ball deliveries for the Hull goals and I'd rather applaud the scorer of the first one than blame Smithies for not keeping it out.

Shouldv'e won today. We were marginally the better team. We've GOT start playing better football and contolling the ball. I have no problem with the long ball from the keeper it's the head tennis that pisses me off.

Compared to the Boro match, this was a joy to watch. Yes, head tennis at times, but a much better balance in the stsrting line up that nearly saw us take a two goal lead. Murphy showed why he us better in the bench when he came in. He gives up too easily when tackled and throws a strop. 2-1 would not have reflected the edge that City displayed. 2-2, worth the journey. We need to be converting these sorts of matches to 3 points if we are to finish better than mid table. Best laugh of the day was Hull fans singing "You're going back to your shithole" when they thought they had won it late on. If that is not the definition of irony, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    One that will split opinion. It was placed brilliantly.
    I keep changing my mind with it.

I do think though it’s an awfully far way out and he should read it better, even if it is well placed.

Caught a bit of the scouse game while running a bath yesterday and the commentary said about a free kick how far it was out (with salah, TAA- a decent free kick taker and another stood over the ball)

Think the keeper needs to do better with an attempt from that far out.

Smithies nearly got caught out v Boro, thankfully the attempt went over.
    I know you have to expect the wall to “do it’s job”, but he does seem to leave himself a lot to do, by standing so far over.
    That said, it was a nice strike from the Hull player. Just our luck this season, dominating, then getting punished.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I keep changing my mind with it.

I do think though it’s an awfully far way out and he should read it better, even if it is well placed.

Caught a bit of the scouse game while running a bath yesterday and the commentary said about a free kick how far it was out (with salah, TAA- a decent free kick taker and another stood over the ball)

Think the keeper needs to do better with an attempt from that far out.
    Didn't Etheridge get caught out with one similar against Man Utd last season?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Didn't Etheridge get caught out with one similar against Man Utd last season?
    Are we talking about Etheridge?

Are we talking about Etheridge?
    We're talking about being caught out with free kicks.

We're talking about being caught out with free kicks.
    We were talking about smithies.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Compared to the Boro match, this was a joy to watch. Yes, head tennis at times, but a much better balance in the stsrting line up that nearly saw us take a two goal lead. Murphy showed why he us better in the bench when he came in. He gives up too easily when tackled and throws a strop. 2-1 would not have reflected the edge that City displayed. 2-2, worth the journey. We need to be converting these sorts of matches to 3 points if we are to finish better than mid table. Best laugh of the day was Hull fans singing "You're going back to your shithole" when they thought they had won it late on. If that is not the definition of irony, I don't know what is.
    Only Burnley/Blackburn is worse than 'Ull. Middlesbrough not included says a lot.

We were talking about smithies.
    In which case, it's important to consider that our main goalkeeper has also been caught out. Sometimes these things happen. If anyone is unhappy with Smithies over the goal, then they also should have been unhappy with Etheridge, or we just accept that this occasionally happens, even to better goalkeepers than we have.

In which case, it's important to consider that our main goalkeeper has also been caught out. Sometimes these things happen. If anyone is unhappy with Smithies over the goal, then they also should have been unhappy with Etheridge, or we just accept that this occasionally happens, even to better goalkeepers than we have.
    I’m not upset over it, would be unreasonable to feel like that over a single incident, that wasn’t even that bad.

I’m not upset over it, would be unreasonable to feel like that over a single incident, that wasn’t even that bad.
    Agreed. Think we've both misinterpreted each other

Agreed. Think we've both misinterpreted each other
    Yes, and being tired never helps!!

Just finished watching the full highlights..... bloody hell we are a better team when Pack plays!!

I often wonder if you give the angle by creating a wall, depending where the kick is and who the kicker is.

I would man up on each post and maybe a 1 or 2 man 'wall', although not next to each other, slightly apart so the keeper sees the ball all the way. Maybe even go 3 men on the line and the keeper just inside his 6 yard box depending on the angle.

Not for all free kicks, but as a paid up member of the Goalkeepers union i think this needs to be considered more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I often wonder if you give the angle by creating a wall, depending where the kick is and who the kicker is.

I would man up on each post and maybe a 1 or 2 man 'wall', although not next to each other, slightly apart so the keeper sees the ball all the way. Maybe even go 3 men on the line and the keeper just inside his 6 yard box depending on the angle.

Not for all free kicks, but as a paid up member of the Goalkeepers union i think this needs to be considered more seriously.
    Your keeping them onside literally up to your goal line then though? Little chip and..