+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Lone Gunman

The Lone Gunman

I see he's on here going on about some tarty new romantic band from his long lost past

The man's a gibbering wreck

Machine fecking Head Machine fecking Head

Re: The Lone Gunman

He probably likes Machine Head who wouldn't.

Soft Machine playing Earl Haig Whitchurch in October.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He probably likes Machine Head who wouldn't.

Soft Machine playing Earl Haig Whitchurch in October.
    He doesn't like metal , his sort don't

Any of the original members of Soft machine playing in the current line up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I don't think so. I don't like it when bands do this. It's fine if it's the lead singer and principal songwriter like Arthur Lee or Jeff Lynne. But Wayne Kramer touring as the the MC5 is out of order as far as I'm concerned.

As the OP knows, whenever Gunman has thrown enough Peroni down his neck he pays tribute to his music hero, and fellow bald coot, Phil Oakley of The Human League. Here's Phil still going strong aged 60+.

Current band features Theo Travis,
    John Etheridge on guitar, Roy Babbington on bass and John Marshall on drums and yours truly on sax, flute and keyboards. So… three quarters of the celebrated 70s version of the group which recorded the acclaimed Softs album in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think so. I don't like it when bands do this. It's fine if it's the lead singer and principal songwriter like Arthur Lee or Jeff Lynne. But Wayne Kramer touring as the the MC5 is out of order as far as I'm concerned.
    There are two versions of UB40 doing the rounds and both using that name. Both versions contain members of the original line-up but the split was very acrimonious.

John Etheridge on guitar, Roy Babbington on bass and John Marshall on drums and yours truly on sax, flute and keyboards. So… three quarters of the celebrated 70s version of the group which recorded the acclaimed Softs album in 1975.
    I'm reading that as you playing sax, flute and keyboards. I thought that was Theo Travis' role. Are you Theo Travis'?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There are two versions of UB40 doing the rounds and both using that name. Both versions contain members of the original line-up but the split was very acrimonious.
    There were two versions of the Beat touring until recently too. And the "Beach Boys" tour without Brian Wilson. Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'm reading that as you playing sax, flute and keyboards. I thought that was Theo Travis' role. Are you Theo Travis'?
    Yes

Sounds interesting. I've only ever heard and owned the first four albums, but I may well pop over the mountain to see Soft Machine in October. Do you do any tracks off the first four albums?

The current line up of Dr Feelgood has no original members. However, all of them, apart from the lead singer were in the band with Lee Brilleaux and all have been in the band longer than any other members ever were. But are there really the Feelgoods?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The current line up of Dr Feelgood has no original members. However, all of them, apart from the lead singer were in the band with Lee Brilleaux and all have been in the band longer than any other members ever were. But are there really the Feelgoods?
    Not for me. Same thing with the Stranglers. I've seen Hugh Cornwell a couple of times and even though there's no JJ Burnell or Dave Greenfield, it's still more like the real thing for me. Hanging Around needs to be sung by Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Apparently their manager bought the rights to the name 'Dr Feelgood' years ago, so he can decide who is in the band. Having seen the band back in '76 with Wilco and Lee, I couldn't face seeing the band now, although I have been told that they are brilliant live

Not for me. Same thing with the Stranglers. I've seen Hugh Cornwell a couple of times and even though there's no JJ Burnell or Dave Greenfield, it's still more like the real thing for me. Hanging Around needs to be sung by Hugh.
    I saw the original line up of the Stranglers a few times back in the later 70's early 80's but my wife never did. When they tour now she always makes noises about going but I can't build up any enthusiasm. However Hugh Cornwell is playing in Swansea later this year. I'm seriously considering going to that

Apparently their manager bought the rights to the name 'Dr Feelgood' years ago, so he can decide who is in the band. Having seen the band back in '76 with Wilco and Lee, I couldn't face seeing the band now, although I have been told that they are brilliant live
    They are good, obviously not the same but I have seen them a couple of times in the last few years and hate to admit it but I enjoyed them more than Wilko at the Tramshed a year or two back

. Madness.
    Only 1 of the original line up missing atm.
    Chas smash i think

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Only 1 of the original line up missing atm.
    Chas smash i think
    I knew someone would have something to say about that.