Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
thanks all

3 options now

Stratford Mall, downside is M25 drive

Basingstoke, shorter train ride in, and no tube change

Reading, slightly shorter drive for me, longer tube and train trip coming home

I will have a think
If you are going to drive to Stratford you might as well drive to the O2. Or somewhere like Charlton where you can park for free on the street and get a bus there (the bus from Charlton church lane to North Greenwich takes about 10-15 mins and it's bus lanes almost all the way). All three are a hell of a drive- I used to do that route at least once a month for 2 years and in the end gave up driving before 8pm. It's not just the M25- you have to crawl through south east London for about 15 miles too.

If you are in bath then presumably you get to amazingstoke on the M3, whereas reading is M4? You will know better than most which two of those motorways is busiest going east at 4pm on a work day, and/or stick Google maps on and decide which looks best as you leave.

Your post suggests you've got kids with you for this trip? If so, a direct tube from Waterloo to North Greenwich may be a bit less stressful but the change from jubilee to bakerloo at baker st is pretty straightforward.

I suspect whatever time you gain on your shorter drive to reading you would lose again on the train journey and longer underground ride.

If you really cannot make the last train to bath then my guess is that Basingstoke is your best option, provided that the traffic looks better that way on the day. I'd be reluctant to drive all the way.