+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What leave voters voted for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What leave voters voted for?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There we go two broken promises, or one, didnt the govemment pump the value into NHS though?

https://fullfact.org/health/nhs-engl...-million-more/
    Well that would go someway to satisfying the promise if brexit was going to yield an overall short term economic dividend. It is almost universally accepted that it won't, so whilst a commitment to spend more on health is good news (how good, depends on where the additional spending is proposed to be sourced from...), all it proves is that remain could have driven an equally big red bus around promising a substantially higher net increase in funding for the NHS as they weren't proposing to crash the economy in exchange for it.

You realise when the government makes a spending pledge there is a good chance it is coming out of the pockets of working people? It isn't the kind of benevolence that your various posts suggest you think it is, or should be viewed as.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Bit more complicated than that, but have you never considered the great deals the Irish would get from US trade ?
    There's a huge Irish lobby in the USA and the island of Ireland as a whole would get a double portion of the benefits on either side of the border.
    Of course, the Irish themselves tried to get free from Europe and voted to leave but just like here they had their own traitors ,and it was those traitors who prevailed - at least for the time being. I think they'll be the next to leave one way or another.

Bit more complicated than that. They had a vote on the Lisbon treaty, they didn’t like it. They got what they wanted and passed it/

The Republic Of Ireland has enjoyed being part of the EU as all polls show a very high desire to remain so I think ‘Irexit’ despite what you say won’t be happening any time soon or after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Bit more complicated than that. They had a vote on the Lisbon treaty, they didn’t like it. They got what they wanted and passed it/

The Republic Of Ireland has enjoyed being part of the EU as all polls show a very high desire to remain so I think ‘Irexit’ despite what you say won’t be happening any time soon or after that.
    Those polls are probably fake though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Those polls are probably fake though.
    Only as long as they show support for the EU.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...eals-1.3488112

Well, the Irish have a tendency to resent Foriegn involvement in the country after a while you know.

Well, the Irish have a tendency to resent Foriegn involvement in the country after a while you know.
    Well the way Johnson is going with his Irish Sea border and all that goes with it we may see the end of 'Foreign involvement' in the 6 counties sooner rather than later - and a united Ireland within the EU. The Irish seem to enjoy their pooled sovereignty through the institutions of the EU and the ability of a small country on the edge of the continent to influence the direction of a union of 27 states.

You know.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Well the way Johnson is going with his Irish Sea border and all that goes with it we may see the end of 'Foreign involvement' in the 6 counties sooner rather than later - and a united Ireland within the EU. The Irish seem to enjoy their pooled sovereignty through the institutions of the EU and the ability of a small country on the edge of the continent to influence the direction of a union of 27 states.

You know.
    Although according to the BBC it will create thousands of civil service jobs in Northern Ireland which will be financed by compulsory redundancies across every department in the U.K and a ' root and branch ' revue of civil service pensions. It's a pity that we've got to employ more pencil necked clerks and time wasters in Ireland, but the good side is that we can reduce their numbers on the mainland.
    That'll be good for enterprise and there'll be an overall saving providing the pension reductions go ahead.

You're an awful clever fellah with your cartoons and opinions about Ireland, you know

“I looked him in the eye and he said”

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/stat...893829636?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post

Was that meant to be a Boris Johnson impression?

Although according to the BBC it will create thousands of civil service jobs in Northern Ireland which will be financed by compulsory redundancies across every department in the U.K and a ' root and branch ' revue of civil service pensions. It's a pity that we've got to employ more pencil necked clerks and time wasters in Ireland, but the good side is that we can reduce their numbers on the mainland.
    That'll be good for enterprise and there'll be an overall saving providing the pension reductions go ahead.
    Oh no, dont get the ex civil servants riled up, they add so much value and debate, we'd be lost without them .

They voted leave, not half in, half out, they voted no deal leave.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    They voted leave, not half in, half out, they voted no deal leave.
    Throughout the campaign, the leave groups from Faridge downwards talked about Norway, Canada ++, etc - what kind of deal we would have with the EU when we left. So this suggestion that people voted no deal is preposterous, just outright wrong.

But let's park that.

Say we do have a no deal brexit. What happens in the future? Will there never be an arrangement with the EU? WTO forever?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Throughout the campaign, the leave groups from Faridge downwards talked about Norway, Canada ++, etc - what kind of deal we would have with the EU when we left. So this suggestion that people voted no deal is preposterous, just outright wrong.

But let's park that.

Say we do have a no deal brexit. What happens in the future? Will there never be an arrangement with the EU? WTO forever?
    Norway, Canada ++ etc, the public did not vote for any of those abstract things, none of them things was on the ballot paper, the ballot paper said ''Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?, all the leave voters I know, wanted out, plain and simple just like the question asked, none of them wanted out with a deal.

Norway, Canada ++ etc, the public did not vote for any of those abstract things, none of them things was on the ballot paper, the ballot paper said ''Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?, all the leave voters I know, wanted out, plain and simple just like the question asked, none of them wanted out with a deal.
    A very strange argument to make - this and that weren't on the ballot paper, but my one was what people really wanted.

The simple truth, which you can't escape, is that the things I mentioned (and more) were used as arguments for Leave, while no deal was not.

A very strange argument to make - this and that weren't on the ballot paper, but my one was what people really wanted.

The simple truth, which you can't escape, is that the things I mentioned (and more) were used as arguments for Leave, while no deal was not.
    What people really wanted at the time was out with no deal, most ordinary people are not particularly interested in politics and what some politician they may or may not have heard of saying something on some late night politics show, they just wanted out.

But how many people knew what leaving with or without out a deal really meant? I can't recall many people discussing the detail of the effects of tariffs, the Northern Ireland problem or anything else about the economic ramifications of leaving. You only have to see the vox-pop street interviews on TV to know that there was (and still is) hardly any real understanding of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But how many people knew what leaving with or without out a deal really meant? I can't recall many people discussing the detail of the effects of tariffs, the Northern Ireland problem or anything else about the economic ramifications of leaving. You only have to see the vox-pop street interviews on TV to know that there was (and still is) hardly any real understanding of the subject.
    Exactly Taunton Blue Genie, yet all the leavers lardy knows seemingly knew exactly what the effects would be, but they still wanted to leave with something known as the Norway deal - very impressive politicking, all the leavers voters i know, knew jack sh*t about any possible ramifications and had little understanding of the subject.

I see the EU have allowed an extension until 31 January - seems they won't agree to any renegotiation of the Withdrawal agreement as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50205603

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see the EU have allowed an extension until 31 January - seems they won't agree to any renegotiation of the Withdrawal agreement as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50205603
    Feeling of Deja Vu there.

They said they wouldn't renegotiate when they granted the October 31st as well

Out of the European Union?

You are talking rubbish lardy, I don't make things up, people I know voted out as in OUT, I doubt if any of them have ever heard of Canada this and Norway that, I couldn't even tell you what Canada this and Norway that is myself [I would have to look it up].

You are talking rubbish lardy, I don't make things up, people I know voted out as in OUT, I doubt if any of them have ever heard of Canada this and Norway that, I couldn't even tell you what Canada this and Norway that is myself [I would have to look it up].
    All the leave voters I spoke to wanted the Norway deal.

You think that's irrelevant and changes nothing, don't you? You'd be correct.

What's not rubbish is that no deal was barely discussed in the campaigns. The evidence is still there; the soundbites and interviews, the articles, the web searches, it all confirms it.

It's certainly true that there's a large number of people who want no deal now. Chances are that Farridge and his backers wanted no deal along, but if they did they kept it quiet because leave would not have won if that had been the message.

In fact, the way that they have maneuvered to make it seem that's what people always wanted (The Will Of The People) is a mixture of impressive and scary.

All the leave voters I spoke to wanted the Norway deal.

You think that's irrelevant and changes nothing, don't you? You'd be correct.

What's not rubbish is that no deal was barely discussed in the campaigns. The evidence is still there; the soundbites and interviews, the articles, the web searches, it all confirms it.

It's certainly true that there's a large number of people who want no deal now. Chances are that Farridge and his backers wanted no deal along, but if they did they kept it quiet because leave would not have won if that had been the message.

In fact, the way that they have maneuvered to make it seem that's what people always wanted (The Will Of The People) is a mixture of impressive and scary.
    ''All the leave voters I spoke to wanted the Norway deal'', you say...……...crickey, how many vote leavers do you know ?, what is the Norway deal ?, are there variations of the Norway deal like Norway minus and Norway plus ?

You are talking Brexit are you ? or are these people you know fans of the 1905 Norway deal ? when they broke away from the United Kingdom and gained Independence [the Sweden - Norway United Kingdom not our one, lol].