+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What leave voters voted for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What leave voters voted for?

All this bollocks about a spelling error !
    If that's the best you can find !........good job I don't start checking spelling and grammar from the back hand gang.
    Tobw is right actually because a lot of American legal stuff spells it with an H, especially the old stuff. It was an error on my part though, and I'm afraid to tell you that lawyers aren't immune from spelling errors. They tend to have typists and secretaries you see.

So, what did leave voters vote for? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    So, what did leave voters vote for? ��
    Well I voted for the return of legislative and legal powers together with direct accountability to the British public , and what I regard as great opportunity for the country .
    I must ask you though, because I think you said that you were a lawyer - is it possible for lawyers to make spelling errors ?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well I voted for the return of legislative and legal powers together with direct accountability to the British public , and what I regard as great opportunity for the country .
    I must ask you though, because I think you said that you were a lawyer - is it possible for lawyers to make spelling errors ?
    I did a Law degree, I didn’t do the Legal Practice Course as I started my previous employment the autumn after graduating.

As for the spelling mistake we’re all human so yes even Lawyers can make mistakes 😉

I did a Law degree, I didn’t do the Legal Practice Course as I started my previous employment the autumn after graduating.

As for the spelling mistake we’re all human so yes even Lawyers can make mistakes 😉
    Watch out, you will be confusing that rare species of six dollar words for ten dollar words next!

So, what did leave voters vote for? 😂
    I voted to remain .
    If we do get another vote
    ( which I don't think is right ) I'd vote to leave, I personally have grown to dislike the way the European parliament works , decides its policy , elects its commission, never mind the waste of money , and fat cat pension burden, to the taxpayer.

Foe me there is way too many levels of bureaucracy in today's life , being Welsh its bewildered with the Assembly, local councillors, UK Parliament and Europe Commission .

Madness and costly.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I voted to remain .
    ( which I don't think is right ) I'd vote to leave, I personally have grown to dislike the way the European parliament works , decides its policy , elects its commission, never mind the waste of money , and fat cat pension burden, to the taxpayer.

Foe me there is way too many levels of bureaucracy in today's life , being Welsh its bewildered with the Assembly, local councillors, UK Parliament and Europe Commission .

Madness and costly.
    Costly madness!

I voted to remain .

Madness and costly.
    What bits of the way that the European Parliament works do you particularly dislike?

I wasn't aware that it determined EU policy, rather had oversight and some ratification of legislation. Similarly it was the Council of Ministers (Member States) that adopted Commissioners with the Parliament having the power to make a positive or negative evaluation of each Commissioner's competence.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    What bits of the way that the European Parliament works do you particularly dislike?

I wasn't aware that it determined EU policy, rather had oversight and some ratification of legislation. Similarly it was the Council of Ministers (Member States) that adopted Commissioners with the Parliament having the power to make a positive or negative evaluation of each Commissioner's competence.
    Well there is a long list of dislikes some highlights :

Article 17 to represent the EU in trade negotiations; to make rules and regulations, for example in competition policy

Free movement

Not able to determine our laws

Control of our borders ,free movement linked to trade

Fishing and agriculture policy .

€9.75bn EU staff pension and our liabilities.

Lacks of a standard minimum wage across members sates to stop folk having to leave their countries and homes

Lacks of wealth share to the poorer nations ,the Euro value between some is stark .

It's almost federal state like approach .

Lack of real democratic elections of commissioners or presidents its like some old boys club , they are not elected by voters ( ie real people ) their nomination come member state ?? in consultation with the Commission President ?? , then subject to hearings on their suitability ?? so their actual competency and responsibility is never exposed to the public is it , its like the bad bankers and CEO appointments , that old Labour hates .

Article 17 to represent the EU in trade negotiations; to make rules and regulations, for example in competition policy

Free movement

Lacks of a standard minimum wage across members sates to stop folk having to leave their countries and homes

Lacks of wealth share to the poorer nations ,the Euro value between some is stark .

Lack of real democratic elections of commissioners or presidents its like some old boys club , they are not elected by voters ( ie real people ) their nomination come member state ?? in consultation with the Commission President ?? , then subject to hearings on their suitability ?? so their actual competency and responsibility is never exposed to the public is it , its like the bad bankers and CEO appointments , that old Labour hates .
    Your dislike of the European Parliament seems to have expanded to the European Union and all its institutions.

As someone commented earlier, given the length of this confusing list (heaven only knows what free movement linked to trade and the Euro value between some is stark means) how you ever decided to Vote Remain in ignorance or despite all of these objections is one of life's great mysteries!

I voted to remain .

Madness and costly.
    I've met these "I Voted Remain" individuals before. The truth is they're Leavers at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I've met these "I Voted Remain" individuals before. The truth is they're Leavers at heart

Well that was not my view , however some folk simply evolve or change their point of view as they gain more knowledge , you cant put everyone in the same silo because you believe it .

Free movement

So why did you vote remain in first place?

Good cut and pasting from the Leave EU website by the way 😂😂

So why did you vote remain in first place?

Good cut and pasting from the Leave EU website by the way 😂😂
    I think I can answer that. When LoM was his previous persona, HubertHuw he started a thread called Brexit: Should I listen to the Loons with these prescient words:

There is no greater turn off in politics than listening to politicians spout to one ,what to or not do. In the case of the right sided politicians ,you have loons like Farage , Boris , Gove ,William Rees - Mogg , John Redwood , who in their right mind would be guided by their advise ?? when its plain to see thye are suing this as an internal power struggle within the Tory party , and bugger all to do with our best interest , Brexit is just the vehicle .

Just imagine out of Europe , Boris as PM , Gove as his deputy , Redwood as foreign Secretary and Mogg as the Chancellor, and with the the current loopy ( 70's style ) left as the effective opposition . Bloody hell save us all , give me a crap Europe union over any of the above, at least it keeps a tight reign on them .

So he voted remain to stop loons like Johnson and Gove getting to power and now would vote leave to keep loons like Johnson and Gove in power.

Looks like there could be a deal;-

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-concessions

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Because of the Benn Act all roads lead to Johnson breaking his solemn promise apart from the one where they go back to the initial agreement Theresa May struck before being kebabbed by the DUP. This led to the move from an island of Ireland solution to the all UK backstop. If these reports are true it will be interesting to see how the DUP/ERG react. Could even cause friction in the DUP as Dodds sounded less on board than Forster at the weekend on the likely path.

Next place to watch is Scotland as Sturgeon will soon cry foul about the competitive advantage NI could gain and push her independence agenda pointing to something tangible that has real benefits compared with where Scotland sits.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Who will LOM blame if nobody votes for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Who will LOM blame if nobody votes for it?
    I think highly paid academics are his latest target so could be them I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think highly paid academics are his latest target so could be them I suppose.
    Dont worry we will still be voting this or any deal down for the next decade , just to keep yer all happy, as we continue to remain in a political life of limbo ,great project .

No real opposition = no power .

Whoever wins in the end, the whole thing has proved one thing. If we'd previously believed that democracy was here to stay, we were wrong.
    Maybe we'll recover and embrace the idea in the future, but for now it's a thing of the past. This being so, there's not much point in anyone continuing to discuss the matter or , actually, continuing to vote or acknowledge parliament.

This matter has set a precedent and in future no losing party or group will accept a vote as the final word in anything, but rather the starting flag for a campaign to reverse the outcome by fair means or foul. Whoever wins at the ballot box won't be able to govern or do anything but fight a counter campaign throughout its term of office, and no progress or effective administration will be possible.

The outcome of this would eventually be a failure of law and government ,probably followed by a chaotic period of disorder or worse, and it's looking increasingly as if this is the path we're on.

Whoever wins in the end, the whole thing has proved one thing. If we'd previously believed that democracy was here to stay, we were wrong.
    Maybe we'll recover and embrace the idea in the future, but for now it's a thing of the past. This being so, there's not much point in anyone continuing to discuss the matter or , actually, continuing to vote or acknowledge parliament.

This matter has set a precedent and in future no losing party or group will accept a vote as the final word in anything, but rather the starting flag for a campaign to reverse the outcome by fair means or foul. Whoever wins at the ballot box won't be able to govern or do anything but fight a counter campaign throughout its term of office, and no progress or effective administration will be possible.

The outcome of this would eventually be a failure of law and government ,probably followed by a chaotic period of disorder or worse, and it's looking increasingly as if this is the path we're on.
    You are so right , lets be fair the forces to reverse the vote of the people was greater . . Can we now reverse every strike vote that hurts the people getting about their business and life .

Brexit can still happen, any old deal would pass parliament if they endeavour to ask the country whether they actually want the reality of brexit before actioning that.

Hindsight tells us a 52/48 type result should have led to a compromise which involved either a staged approach to leaving (initially a softer brexit) with further votes to determine next steps. Or if the 52/48 was remains way there should be a commitment to another ref in X years. Unfortunately both sides are so entrenched now that none of this is possible and the responsibility for that falls on the people who plotted our course, ultimately Cameron, May and subsequently Cummings and his nodding dog.

Brexit can still happen, any old deal would pass parliament if they endeavour to ask the country whether they actually want the reality of brexit before actioning that.

Hindsight tells us a 52/48 type result should have led to a compromise which involved either a staged approach to leaving (initially a softer brexit) with further votes to determine next steps. Or if the 52/48 was remains way there should be a commitment to another ref in X years. Unfortunately both sides are so entrenched now that none of this is possible and the responsibility for that falls on the people who plotted our course, ultimately Cameron, May and subsequently Cummings and his nodding dog.
    This one got through

Choice Votes %
    I agree that there should be a Welsh Assembly 559,419 50.30%
    I do not agree that there should be a Welsh Assembly 552,698 49.70
    Valid votes 1,112,117 99.64%
    Invalid or blank votes 3,999 0.36%

This is actually fantastic, after years of brexiteers telling us a stiff upper lip will get the EU to climb down. The result is that we climb down and take something we were offered at the very start. I am not going to trawl back through posts but I know a few in here fall into that category.

This is actually fantastic, after years of brexiteers telling us a stiff upper lip will get the EU to climb down. The result is that we climb down and take something we were offered at the very start. I am not going to trawl back through posts but I know a few in here fall into that category.
    Quite right, they're so shit scared of another Referendum they're grabbing any old raft to get to shore.