+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 3 - 0 QUEENS PARK RANGERS. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 3 - 0 QUEENS PARK RANGERS. Match thread

People love a moan. QPR did barely anything second half. One shot against the post and one save from Smithies. Not good enough when 2-0 down. If that had been us for the second half against Hull we’d have been slated on this mb.

QPR were decent first half and played some nice stuff, again though, only one Smithies save and a shot against the post to show for their efforts from memory. The second half was a cruise for us in all honesty.

All with our best player this season in joe ralls sat in the stands.

QPR were all over us for a lot of the game, but couldn't score in a brothel.
    We took our chances, they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Agree with all of that. If we had been losing 0-2 at half-time then we couldn't have had any complaints.
    Based on possession is it?

Because we were definitely equal to them for chances created and I didn’t sense a lot of danger when they attacked us tbh because we had their number all game imo from a defensive POV

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The throws ins up the line need to stop.

Opposition teams are going to hate playing against us. Very good defensively tonight. Missed Ralls badly.

Its frustrating. The players we have should surely be able to keep and pass the ball a lot better. Theres nothing in this league this season. Its a big opportunity to bounce straight back up but we have to improve big time on keeping the ball. Cutting out the long throw up the line would be a start.
    I know we were 3 nil up but there was a passage of play at the end where we kept the ball with quick little passes under pressure and moved the ball around well, it left me wondering why we can do it more often, then you realise we were 3 up and we’re normally instructed to hold it and play in the final third.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I know you’re neutral now Dave and may enjoy the slick passing and movement albeit miles from your opposition’s penalty area but I’d be so frustrated if the City had all that skill with no end product. In fact I thought we frustrated them tonight and they ended up overdoing it, they did look dreadful with no end product and ended up a bit of a shambles.
    I've always enjoyed decent passing and movement regardless of my feelings about the club as a whole. I don't think I'm unusual in that respect. Most football fans do enjoy it.

QPR's failure to score last night was down to some good goalkeeping, some good last-ditch defending, some poor decision-making in the final third and some rank bad luck in hitting the woodwork twice. It wasn't a case of no end product because they were dreadful.

I've been genuinely surprised by your views on last night's game. They don't tally with what I watched at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I've always enjoyed decent passing and movement regardless of my feelings about the club as a whole. I don't think I'm unusual in that respect. Most football fans do enjoy it.

QPR's failure to score last night was down to some good goalkeeping, some good last-ditch defending, some poor decision-making in the final third and some rank bad luck in hitting the woodwork twice. It wasn't a case of no end product because they were dreadful.

I've been genuinely surprised by your views on last night's game. They don't tally with what I watched at all.
    And some good defending.

Don’t forget you can praise the club and it’s players now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Based on possession is it?

Because we were definitely equal to them for chances created and I didn’t sense a lot of danger when they attacked us tbh because we had their number all game imo from a defensive POV
    Based on the Smithies save at 0-0, the Rangel header and their number 10 hitting the post. I think they had another good chance before we scored our second as well.

And some good defending.

Don’t forget you can praise the club and it’s players now and again.
    I said: "QPR's failure to score last night was down to some good goalkeeping, some good last-ditch defending, some poor decision-making in the final third and some rank bad luck in hitting the woodwork twice."

Don't forget you can read all of a post without replying to it now and again.

I don't follow football as closely as in recent years, but it was still a shock to only recognise 3 or 4 players from the QPR squad last night. That must be an all time low for me for an established championship side.

I don't care if it's awful to watch, seeing 3 points on the board is all that matters.

Playing pretty football but getting no points and being happy with it is absolute lunacy.

If us being 'awful' and winning pisses the opposition off, then that's even more satisfying.

Awful and effective over pretty and ineffective all day long for me.

Teams need to stop trying to be Man City and having a philosophy of playing great football, because if it gets you no points it's literally pointless. Work on winning before you work on your style.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Based on the Smithies save at 0-0, the Rangel header and their number 10 hitting the post. I think they had another good chance before we scored our second as well.
    So drawing then and not losing? Would make more sense.

I said: "QPR's failure to score last night was down to some good goalkeeping, some good last-ditch defending, some poor decision-making in the final third and some rank bad luck in hitting the woodwork twice."

“Good defending” is different to “good last ditch defending”

It’s almost a back handed compliment, my argument was that you can praise us now and again.

I did read your post, I read it as a back handed compliment, and not direct praise.

“Good defending” is different to “good last ditch defending”

It’s almost a back handed compliment, my argument was that you can praise us now and again.

I did read your post, I read it as a back handed compliment, and not direct praise.
    You're simply seeing what you want to see.

If you read through my comments in this thread (and others), you'll see that I have praised the defending, suggested Flint was City's man of the match, and also praised the team's work rate and commitment.

The comment you have quoted was in direct reply to Steve's about QPR's failure to score. There were a number of times last night when City's defenders threw their bodies on the line in last-ditch blocks and challenges to keep the visitors out. That's obviously good defending - it's what the defenders are there for.

You're simply seeing what you want to see.

If you read through my comments in this thread (and others), you'll see that I have praised the defending, suggested Flint was City's man of the match, and also praised the team's work rate and commitment.

The comment you have quoted was in direct reply to Steve's about QPR's failure to score. There were a number of times last night when City's defenders threw their bodies on the line in last-ditch blocks and challenges to keep the visitors out. That's obviously good defending - it's what the defenders are there for.
    I was replying to a single post. I was up to date at one point with the thread but woke up to a load of replies this morning so have skipped over them.

“Last ditch defending” just sounds like we weren’t organised. If I’m wrong I’m wrong and I’ve read your reply differently to how you said it.

We were dreadful to watch for most of the game. We are well organized defensively and defended well as a team.

There are going to be many teams this year who are going to pass us off the park and their fans are going to wonder how they lost and give it the Cardiff are crap stuff.

However it wouldnt suprise me if we made the top 6 even playing like this.

The frustrating thing is i think this squad could do much better in what looks a weak division.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    I don't care if it's awful to watch, seeing 3 points on the board is all that matters.

Playing pretty football but getting no points and being happy with it is absolute lunacy.

If us being 'awful' and winning pisses the opposition off, then that's even more satisfying.

Awful and effective over pretty and ineffective all day long for me.

Teams need to stop trying to be Man City and having a philosophy of playing great football, because if it gets you no points it's literally pointless. Work on winning before you work on your style.
    Not a single person on this board has advocated for this. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We were dreadful to watch for most of the game. We are well organized defensively and defended well as a team.

There are going to be many teams this year who are going to pass us off the park and their fans are going to wonder how they lost and give it the Cardiff are crap stuff.

However it wouldnt suprise me if we made the top 6 even playing like this.

The frustrating thing is i think this squad could do much better in what looks a weak division.
    I didn’t think we could but after seeing us pick up points in recent weeks I’ve changed my mind. I think we’ll do it and it won’t be pretty.

Happy to pick up points but don’t think I’ll be happy with the way we get them all season.

Let’s just hope we can move away from it with a new manager when Warnock calls it a day.

Is hitting the post rank bad luck or inaccurate shooting?
    Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Asking for a friend.
    Tell your friend it depends on the team. If it's City, it's bad luck. If it's QPR or any other of City's opponents, it's inaccurate shooting.

Asking for a friend.
    Their effort in the first half - a hint more curl and it flicks the post on the way in. if you aim for the corner, this happens on occasions. I think that was fortunate for us, almost akin to a seam bowler where the ball can move off the seam in different ways, all slight but enough to make a difference.

The way Paterson's shot ricocheted off the turf, it could have gone anywhere. It was a good effort but a decent example of where fractions make all the difference. TLG is right. Had QPR scored and Paterson hit the post we'd be saying we were a bit unlucky.

Luck - success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.
    My friend thinks you are having him on.
    QPR were just rank shite in front of goal.
    Unlike us including Patterson.

Asking for a friend.
    I don't think it's bad luck or innaccurate shooting. Both strikes were hit really well with good technique and had the keeper beaten. I'd call them very good attempts!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think it's bad luck or innaccurate shooting. Both strikes were hit really well with good technique and had the keeper beaten. I'd call them very good attempts!
    Good attempts at not actually hitting the target ie the back of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    But no goals in their last two games with a goal difference of 0-5, they knocked it about like Fulham did but one goal against 4 between the two clubs against us doesn’t say much for them seeing as some seem to think we’re so poor. Ok they they hit the woodwork twice but so what it didn’t go in. I know you’re neutral now Dave and may enjoy the slick passing and movement albeit miles from your opposition’s penalty area but I’d be so frustrated if the City had all that skill with no end product. In fact I thought we frustrated them tonight and they ended up overdoing it, they did look dreadful with no end product and ended up a bit of a shambles.

Is he really neutral? I get that his passion for following the club may no longer be what it once was, however... a neutral? Are you saying he wouldn't have been bothered one way or the other if QPR had beaten us by three clear goals? He still attends some City games both home & away. Perhaps he'll be non-plussed about who wins the local Welsh derby or the Severnside derby for that matter..
    Maybe you're right though, as he didn't take the opportunity to correct you.