+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 3 - 0 QUEENS PARK RANGERS. Match thread

Re: CARDIFF CITY v QUEENS PARK RANGERS. Match thread

Chair bench Pugh 😁 You had to be there. A convincing win. QPR just couldn't finish but would do well in a diving competition. Three points. Onwards and upwards.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 3 - 0 QUEENS PARK RANGERS. Match thread

How can people say we were poor??? QPR were absolute shite, we played the perfect game of them f*cking about passing here, passing there with no end product, boring crap like Fulham. Looking up at the scoreboard did it for me 3-0, and should have been more. I’d love for the City to play beautiful football but if it don’t end up in the back of the net it’s bollocks. 3-0 is beautiful for me 👍

I'm not sure how to think about us lately - feel's a bit shit even if we win - new broom required next season regardless, beginning to lose faith.. it's like if it was boxing we can be knocking people out but only with shitty sucker punches.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Tomlin the creator and pack with the passing and calmness we seem to bang on about on here.. both started. So I’m not sure there is another player we can put on to “play” sadly.
    Bacuna looks a 'player' to me. With Pack/Ralls/Bacuna in the engine room (Will Vaulks not even getting on the bench - and I thought he would have become first name on the team sheet when he signed) and Tomlin/Paterson/Hoilett as options in the No 10 position, there is a fair amount of skill there - not just hard 'block it - lump it' types. Of course Pato is, apart from the artistry of his goals, but not the others.....!

No idea how we’ve won that 3-0 but I’ll take it. Reminded me of Fulham at home

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I haven't seen any of the game, been working, but it sounds like Pack and Tomlin have been vital cogs this evening. Two players that can actually pass and use the ball in midfield and we win 3-0.

The downside to that argument is that our possession stats were woeful. Irrelevantly so, but still rubbish.
    Tomlin had a few nice touches, but he also gave the ball away cheaply on a couple of occasions and he's a passenger when we don't have the ball.

If it was 2-0 to QPR at half time we couldn't have had too many complaints. Gave the ball away far too often in dangerous places and their no10 was a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How can people say we were poor??? QPR were absolute shite, we played the perfect game of them f*cking about passing here, passing there with no end product, boring crap like Fulham. Looking up at the scoreboard did it for me 3-0, and should have been more. I’d love for the City to play beautiful football but if it don’t end up in the back of the net it’s bollocks. 3-0 is beautiful for me ��
    QPR weren't shite in the first half. They caused us huge problems down our left flank and had a couple of good chances to equalize. It was only after Paterson's goal that we looked really comfortable.

How can people say we were poor?
    City barely managed to string three passes together all night, but in truth they rarely even tried to do that until they were 3-0 up. Overall, the quality of their football was very, very poor.

Smithies did well enough in goal. Peltier played well. Flint was City's man of the match for me, he defended really well and his reading of the game was very good. Morrison was solid enough. Bennett looked dodgy at times, particularly in the first half. Pack was reasonable, although his passing wasn't as good as I expected. Bacuna worked really hard and had a good game overall. Tomlin was a passenger for the most part. Whyte worked his socks off and did well defensively, but didn't do much going forward. Murphy was anonymous. Glatzel looked lost.

Almost all of the team worked hard, defended reasonably solidly and did well in terms of nullifying QPR's main threats, but their football was grim to watch until the last ten minutes or so..

To compare QPR's tactics to Fulham's is inaccurate. QPR were far more adventurous than Fulham. They weren't simply passing it around at the back at all. Indeed, the lad who was at number 10 for them looked far and away the best player on the pitch and the winger on the right looked handy too - those two had a lot of possession in advanced positions. QPR's big problem was they couldn't defend, particularly at set pieces.

Earlier in the thread, someone said QPR had been Warnocked and that just about sums it up for me. Two set pieces, two goals, a 2-0 half time lead that was almost incredible given how little City had created from open play and how poor they had been in possession. The third goal was also very much against the run of play, but we've seen that sort of thing from this side many times before. Usually their football's a bit better, but tonight it was truly awful despite the scoreline.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Bacuna looks a 'player' to me. With Pack/Ralls/Bacuna in the engine room (Will Vaulks not even getting on the bench - and I thought he would have become first name on the team sheet when he signed) and Tomlin/Paterson/Hoilett as options in the No 10 position, there is a fair amount of skill there - not just hard 'block it - lump it' types. Of course Pato is, apart from the artistry of his goals, but not the others.....!
    I was answering as if we were looking for someone not already on the pitch :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    City barely managed to string three passes together all night, but in truth they rarely even tried to do that until they were 3-0 up. Overall, the quality of their football was very, very poor.

Smithies did well enough in goal. Peltier played well. Flint was City's man of the match for me, he defended really well and his reading of the game was very good. Morrison was solid enough. Bennett looked dodgy at times, particularly in the first half. Pack was reasonable, although his passing wasn't as good as I expected. Bacuna worked really hard and had a good game overall. Tomlin was a passenger for the most part. Whyte worked his socks off and did well defensively, but didn't do much going forward. Murphy was anonymous. Glatzel looked lost.

Almost all of the team worked hard, defended reasonably solidly and did well in terms of nullifying QPR's main threats, but their football was grim to watch until the last ten minutes or so..

To compare QPR's tactics to Fulham's is inaccurate. QPR were far more adventurous than Fulham. They weren't simply passing it around at the back at all. Indeed, the lad who was at number 10 for them looked far and away the best player on the pitch and the winger on the right looked handy too - those two had a lot of possession in advanced positions. QPR's big problem was they couldn't defend, particularly at set pieces.

Earlier in the thread, someone said QPR had been Warnocked and that just about sums it up for me. Two set pieces, two goals, a 2-0 half time lead that was almost incredible given how little City had created from open play and how poor they had been in possession. The third goal was also very much against the run of play, but we've seen that sort of thing from this side many times before. Usually their football's a bit better, but tonight it was truly awful despite the scoreline.
    Agree with all of that. If we had been losing 0-2 at half-time then we couldn't have had any complaints.

I thought Flint was Man of the Match for us too. Smithies was excellent. Bennett was taken apart time and time again, and Morrison scored even though he wasn't that good. Tomlin was good in the first half, but did nothing after half time. Bacuna ran around a lot, Pack was Ok. Murphy was .....well Murphy good at times and missing at other times. I fail to see the love in some have with Whyte, although he won the corner from which the goal came, again with his cross. Glatzel did nothing but had absolutely no support. 3-0 is great but we were awful. head the ball in the air or punt it up front. In trouble at the back? Don't pass to a team mate just hoof it in the air. I'm still wondering how we won that 3-0. But for QPR you have to say they can't defend, and they hit the woodwork twice and brought an excellent save out of Smithies.

No Vaulks or Bogle on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Agree with all of that. If we had been losing 0-2 at half-time then we couldn't have had any complaints.
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair as set-pieces are a big part of the game and QPR looked in trouble every time City had a corner or a free kick. I thought the teams deserved to be level at the break, but the visitors switched off in injury time and paid the price with Pack's goal.

You have to admire City's work rate and organisation, particularly at the back, but things like the long throws up the line, the ball continually being punted upfield despite there being time and space to work in, and giving away possession time and time again through awful short-range passing is tough to watch.

The throws ins up the line need to stop.

Opposition teams are going to hate playing against us. Very good defensively tonight. Missed Ralls badly.

Its frustrating. The players we have should surely be able to keep and pass the ball a lot better. Theres nothing in this league this season. Its a big opportunity to bounce straight back up but we have to improve big time on keeping the ball. Cutting out the long throw up the line would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The throws ins up the line need to stop.

Opposition teams are going to hate playing against us. Very good defensively tonight. Missed Ralls badly.

Its frustrating. The players we have should surely be able to keep and pass the ball a lot better. Theres nothing in this league this season. Its a big opportunity to bounce straight back up but we have to improve big time on keeping the ball. Cutting out the long throw up the line would be a start.
    Hopefully Ralls will be back on Saturday and we can play 4-3-3 again. The attacking midfielder, whether its Paterson or Tomlin, is a waste of a shirt when we play 4-2-3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    QPR weren't shite in the first half. They caused us huge problems down our left flank and had a couple of good chances to equalize. It was only after Paterson's goal that we looked really comfortable.
    I thought they were dreadful, flattered to deceive. Huge problems? The so called ‘footballing’ sides I’ve witnessed in this division so far (bar Reading & Wigan) are missing the most vital thing, a decent striker, we’re missing one of those as well but seem to have a decent end product from others and the unbeaten run goes on.

I thought they were dreadful, flattered to deceive. Huge problems? The so called ‘footballing’ sides I’ve witnessed in this division so far (bar Reading & Wigan) are missing the most vital thing, a decent striker, we’re missing one of those as well but seem to have a decent end product from others and the unbeaten run goes on.
    You think Fulham are missing a decent striker?

Incidentally, both of QPR's strikers are on 5 league goals this season.

Can't believe you thought they were dreadful, I don't know what you were watching. Like almost all Championship sides they had their weaknesses, but they played some really good stuff at times.

He may be our best 'footballer' but you could see tonight why Tomlin doesn't normally get a start. City's ongoing problem is that we play with two out wide so we can get attacks going with the fewest possible passes - and it works, but that means the 3 in the middle need to be spot on - defensively and creatively. Out of Tomlin Bacuna and Pack you'd be expecting a lot of good passes and runs from Tomlin but he wasn't in the game for long stretches. True, our style isn't going to suit him but in 17/18 we had Gunnarson, Bryson, Grujic, Lamour, who all could find a good pass, which is something we lack with this squad. Also for me Pack looks a poor replacement for Gunnarson. He's very static, doesn't get around the pitch as much and doesn't look that sharp in the tackle, though fitness may be an issue. And yes, we missed Ralls, who on tonight's showing, I would have in place of Pack..

I do love Neil Warnocks Sh**housery and I love winning when maybe we shouldn’t.
    We deserved to win tonight though and we did 3-0.

The only team that I can remember playing great football watching Cardiff was under Dave Jones and everybody was upset about our soft underbelly.
    Eddie May played percentages and we loved it.

Anyone remember shitting on The Jacks for their Tiki-Taka?
    Anyone remember using the phrase “Wolvesalona” in a derogatory term and the glee of watching Fulham fall apart?

Anyone remember Neil Warnock pretty much salvaging and galvanizing our whole club after the red debacle?

I do, and I also remember Charlton, Stoke and Middlesbrough fans wanting more expansive football in an era of #againstmodernfootball We are Cardiff City and lets be honest the last 20 years with its rollercoaster ride (red aside) has been great.

In my tenure as a City fan it was disappointment, the odd FA Cup win between losing at Hayes or Enfield, European Football via The Welsh Cup and wondering how we would stack up against another sleeping giant like Burnley.

We have been up against the Tax Man, against the red debacle and are trying to be sustainable.
    We’ve never had it so good!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    He may be our best 'footballer' but you could see tonight why Tomlin doesn't normally get a start. City's ongoing problem is that we play with two out wide so we can get attacks going with the fewest possible passes - and it works, but that means the 3 in the middle need to be spot on - defensively and creatively. Out of Tomlin Bacuna and Pack you'd be expecting a lot of good passes and runs from Tomlin but he wasn't in the game for long stretches. True, our style isn't going to suit him but in 17/18 we had Gunnarson, Bryson, Grujic, Lamour, who all could find a good pass, which is something we lack with this squad. Also for me Pack looks a poor replacement for Gunnarson. He's very static, doesn't get around the pitch as much and doesn't look that sharp in the tackle, though fitness may be an issue. And yes, we missed Ralls, who on tonight's showing, I would have in place of Pack..
    Tomlin has good vision and a great first touch, but he simply doesn't have the engine to be a starter at this level. He was blowing out of his arse well before half-time this evening. However, he would offer something genuinely different in the last 30 minutes of a match if we needed a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I do love Neil Warnocks Sh**housery and I love winning when maybe we shouldn’t.
    We deserved to win tonight though and we did 3-0.

The only team that I can remember playing great football watching Cardiff was under Dave Jones and everybody was upset about our soft underbelly.
    Eddie May played percentages and we loved it.

Anyone remember shitting on The Jacks for their Tiki-Taka?
    Anyone remember using the phrase “Wolvesalona” in a derogatory term and the glee of watching Fulham fall apart?

Anyone remember Neil Warnock pretty much salvaging and galvanizing our whole club after the red debacle?

I do, and I also remember Charlton, Stoke and Middlesbrough fans wanting more expansive football in an era of #againstmodernfootball We are Cardiff City and lets be honest the last 20 years with its rollercoaster ride (red aside) has been great.

In my tenure as a City fan it was disappointment, the odd FA Cup win between losing at Hayes or Enfield, European Football via The Welsh Cup and wondering how we would stack up against another sleeping giant like Burnley.

We have been up against the Tax Man, against the red debacle and are trying to be sustainable.
    We’ve never had it so good!
    Great post

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You think Fulham are missing a decent striker?

Incidentally, both of QPR's strikers are on 5 league goals this season.

Can't believe you thought they were dreadful, I don't know what you were watching. Like almost all Championship sides they had their weaknesses, but they played some really good stuff at times.
    But no goals in their last two games with a goal difference of 0-5, they knocked it about like Fulham did but one goal against 4 between the two clubs against us doesn’t say much for them seeing as some seem to think we’re so poor. Ok they they hit the woodwork twice but so what it didn’t go in. I know you’re neutral now Dave and may enjoy the slick passing and movement albeit miles from your opposition’s penalty area but I’d be so frustrated if the City had all that skill with no end product. In fact I thought we frustrated them tonight and they ended up overdoing it, they did look dreadful with no end product and ended up a bit of a shambles.

Had a busy day today. So missed the game and just got a chance to catch up on here. All I can say is, bummer. Getting the updates on my phone, I thought the team selection was bold and the number and timing of the goals seemed like we dominated. I thought we'd finally got it right. Oh well. 3 points.

Qpr had 72 percent posscession, which is mad for a midtsble away team.
    Still not grumbling its goals that count.