+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qpr message board

Re: Qpr message board

I'm already fed up with teams passing the ball around in their own box from a goal kick. I know the rule has only just changed but all these clubs have started doing it. Pass the ball around about seven times until one of them gets cornered then back to the 'keeper who lumps it up field. 7-0 on possession but absolutely worthless.

We won , next Baggies and Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    They were very poor & clueless. Very similar to Luton. Sideways, sideways, back, sideways, back. 78% possession. 60% in their own half, 18% in the attacking half. Move on!
    I'm not sticking up for it but i think that you're being very simplistic. I think that we need to remember that this style of play is very new in this country and even newer at champioship level so i think that it's fair to say that it isn't quite working for alot of the teams that are attempting to implement this style just yet. I don't think it's difficult to see that it's not just about possession but attempting to draw the opposition out at the earliest opportunity, if it doesn't work then start again and so on....It's going to take a few years before players are comfortable with it and where the quality is there. I'd say that since this brand of football came in, the UK is starting to produce young players who can and will compete at world level. Remember 10-15 years ago when England and Wales were nowhere near it? It does look boring and for the sake of it, but when it does come off and players become more comfortable with it then i reckon that we will witness some wonderful football.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    Positive that Smithies saved the 2nd one that hit the post (My boy thinks I'm imagining things though). Other than that I agree with everything else.

I hate all this possession talk crap. The aim of the game is to win, to win you need to score goals (more than your opponent obviously), to score goals you need to have attempts at goal. We do that. We were up the top end of the shots at goal stats a couple of games ago by playing direct football.

Would people be direct and more shots on goal or 70% possession (50% in your own half) and less shots at goal. We haven't been critical in terms of scoring from a lot of shots, so our 'goals for' would be less than we have now.

Saying that I would like to see Flint/Morrison bring a ball down once in a while, they persist to head or lump forward any ball in the air, whether being pressured or not.
    Better sides know they can't just be one thing all the time.

[QUOTE=splott parker;5009396]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I actually thought they were pretty good, and we were lucky. They passed it well, but with purpose.
    Mistake playing Hughill who was snuffed our by our twin lighthouses, but they gave us the run around until it got to him.
    They’ve got a couple of very good players there. Defensively they were shite though, we could have scored a couple more and dominated the ball in the air.

We were also odds on to win that brawl at the end ��[/QUOTE
    There’s more than one way to skin a cat Tim, and we skinned them. It’s annoying me a bit now, the criticism we’re getting over possession percentages etc, a 3-0 win against a team who were one of the early front runners in the division will do me. Analysts & pundits in the past used to drool over sides who soaked up pressure yet clinically took their few chances to put a game to bed, I’d rather be a City fan tonight than a fan of the wonderful passing yet toothless outfit QPR were tonight.
    You know me Steve, I’m quite happy with how we play and laugh normally when opposition managers go on about how they deserved to win because of their possession.

However last night I did actually think we got lucky and were generally 2nd best. So this time ( unlike Luton, Fulham Boro and Huddersfield who flattered to deceive) I can sympathise a bit with their frustration at not getting something from the game .. not for long though 😂

Defensively though we were excellent and they were poor, it’s not just about what you do with the ball, but also what you do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm not sticking up for it but i think that you're being very simplistic. I think that we need to remember that this style of play is very new in this country and even newer at champioship level so i think that it's fair to say that it isn't quite working for alot of the teams that are attempting to implement this style just yet. I don't think it's difficult to see that it's not just about possession but attempting to draw the opposition out at the earliest opportunity, if it doesn't work then start again and so on....It's going to take a few years before players are comfortable with it and where the quality is there. I'd say that since this brand of football came in, the UK is starting to produce young players who can and will compete at world level. Remember 10-15 years ago when England and Wales were nowhere near it? It does look boring and for the sake of it, but when it does come off and players become more comfortable with it then i reckon that we will witness some wonderful football.
    Good post!

And some of you thought us lot were bad, angels compared to tne bitters

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    And some of you thought us lot were bad, angels compared to tne bitters
    Got to say you destroyed my lot on Tuesday night (Reading fan). Awful from us and I felt like leaving at half time but you were a cut above. Cairney was superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Got to say you destroyed my lot on Tuesday night (Reading fan). Awful from us and I felt like leaving at half time but you were a cut above. Cairney was superb.
    Thanks mate, very honest opinion ( about time we won there) as your the only reading fan I know, I was thinking of you whilst I was at the game, we were on top even before the sending off, I see reading desroy Cardiff a
    While back. And thought it may end up a draw, on our day we look impressive, when cairney went off we lost our creativity

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    Thanks mate, very honest opinion ( about time we won there) as your the only reading fan I know, I was thinking of you whilst I was at the game, we were on top even before the sending off, I see reading desroy Cardiff a
    While back. And thought it may end up a draw, on our day we look impressive, when cairney went off we lost our creativity
    Cairney does look good, weird how he was almost non existent last season.....