+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, that was weird!

Re: Well, that was weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Bennett was shocking and not just last night, Murphy was worse if that's possible
    Cunningham should never have been allowed to go on loan, last night he could have played and given Joe a rest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Cunningham should never have been allowed to go on loan, last night he could have played and given Joe a rest
    I'm sure Neil Warnock said a few weeks back that Ciaron Brown is now seen as the left back cover in the squad. It was when he was asked about Brown's debut for Northern Ireland.

He may turn out to be a star, but for now a player just out of the u23s who spent most of the last few years as a centre back is the cover and challenge to Joe Bennett. That doesn't shout squad depth!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think this squad is a long way off the 'quality' of the promotion squad, and I use italics because we weren't exactly playing attractive, open football then. But I remember us passing the ball around a lot better - the home games against Aston Villa, Sunderland and Leeds in particular. As I've commentated before, then Ralls was our least skillful player in the middle of the pitch - this season he's the most creative. There were times last night when we caught QPR on the counter-attack yet couldn't deliver a shot on goal because of our inability to make a simple pass to a player in space. That's frustrating to watch..
    Villa had 65% possession that day, Leeds 60% (even though they only had 10 men for the second half) and even Sunderland had 53%. Over the season we recorded the fewest passes in the division, the lowest pass completion rate and the fourth lowest average possession.

I wish I could remember the passing football we played that season but I can't. I remember Brentford playing us off the pitch (70%) and losing 2-0, Norwich doing the same and losing 3-1. I kept thinking we were being lucky but we kept winning enough games to go up and I never really had a clue how we did it, right to the end.

We had the highest number of set-piece goals that season (21) and if we carry on putting them away like last night then we'll probably be there or thereabouts again this season. It hurts my eyes to watch it and I'd probably be a bit embarrassed to bring friends to a game (if I had any) but the end is in sight now. For better (hopefully) or worse, it'll be a different football club next season.

Great example of Warnockball last night. Wish I could say the OP was a similarly good example of writing.
    I expect it really hurt Bob and a few others here to see the team win 3-0 , but he still managed to hate on them

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I suspect Bennett was poor because he had Murphy ahead. Bennett always plays better with Hoilett.

I don't suspect that was the reason why Bennett lacked a yard of pace, or why he didn't get closer to his man or why he was he was so easily turned inside out all the time. You can't lay any of that at Murphy's feet.

Bennett isn't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It hurts my eyes to watch it and I'd probably be a bit embarrassed to bring friends to a game (if I had any) but the end is in sight now. For better (hopefully) or worse, it'll be a different football club next season.
    The depends if Warnock does finish and who his successor is.

Telling comments from the manager in an interview on the BBC website today:

"We have an Under-23 league and I feel it is an absolute waste of time. I feel sorry for the players because it is all 'pass, pass, pass' and they don't teach players how to win games."

Footballers passing the ball? Perish the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Great example of Warnockball last night. Wish I could say the OP was a similarly good example of writing.
    I expect it really hurt Bob and a few others here to see the team win 3-0 , but he still managed to hate on them
    How so? TOBW merely points out that despite barely having the ball, City somehow won 3-0.
    It’s a widely held summation of the game and it’s his opinion that it wasn’t entertaining to watch.
    You have no right to infer that people such as him are somehow not behind the team and are not entitled to criticise.
    Not all of us are Warnock lemmings!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    "This media may contain sensitive material."

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The depends if Warnock does finish and who his successor is.

Telling comments from the manager in an interview on the BBC website today:

"We have an Under-23 league and I feel it is an absolute waste of time. I feel sorry for the players because it is all 'pass, pass, pass' and they don't teach players how to win games."

Footballers passing the ball? Perish the thought.

It's not ideal phrasing but when I was at Man Uni, we used to go play 5 a side after Man City's academy sides played their games on Saturdays at Platt Lane. They're taught the fundamentals which is great but there's no intensity to the games and they're glorified training sessions. I enjoyed it because of the talent on show but it was not a competitive game by any measure. I don't think there's a benefit to u23 players playing that type of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It's not ideal phrasing but when I was at Man Uni, we used to go play 5 a side after Man City's academy sides played their games on Saturdays at Platt Lane. They're taught the fundamentals which is great but there's no intensity to the games and they're glorified training sessions. I enjoyed it because of the talent on show but it was not a competitive game by any measure. I don't think there's a benefit to u23 players playing that type of football.
    There's obviously a balance to be had, but clubs all around the country seem to be able to produce talented young first team players who have graduated through their academies and Under-23 teams. Meanwhile, the current Cardiff manager apparently believes his club's system has no benefit and he instead prefers to sign a player who came through the Irish system because, and I quote: "It's a man's game there."

To me, the interview speaks volumes about Warnock and his philosophy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49927714

There's obviously a balance to be had, but clubs all around the country seem to be able to produce talented young first team players who have graduated through their academies and Under-23 teams. Meanwhile, the current Cardiff manager apparently believes his club's system has no benefit and he instead prefers to sign a player who came through the Irish system because, and I quote: "It's a man's game there."

To me, the interview speaks volumes about Warnock and his philosophy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49927714
    That's true but even sensible pundits like Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts moan about u23 football. Warnock has many, many failings, and perhaps (almost certainly) we're miles behind in this country but most senior pros seem to think the reserve football in it's current incarnation is a complete waste of time as well.

That's true but even sensible pundits like Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts moan about u23 football. Warnock has many, many failings, and perhaps (almost certainly) we're miles behind in this country but most senior pros seem to think the reserve football in it's current incarnation is a complete waste of time as well.
    And yet both England and Wales currently have squads filled with talented young footballers who are very comfortable on the ball. As I said previously, there's clearly a balance. The current system no doubt has its flaws, but it's producing some excellent players, so it's obviously not a complete waste of time.

And yet both England and Wales currently have squads filled with talented young footballers who are very comfortable on the ball. As I said previously, there's clearly a balance. The current system no doubt has its flaws, but it's producing some excellent players, so it's obviously not a complete waste of time.
    How many of those players were playing u23 football though? Brooks, Sterling, Sancho, CHO etc all broke through at an extremely young age. I think the problem is after you've learnt the fundamentals at u18 level and you're into your 20s, there's nowhere to go if you're not in the first team.

How many of those players were playing u23 football though? Brooks, Sterling, Sancho, CHO etc all broke through at an extremely young age. I think the problem is after you've learnt the fundamentals at u18 level and you're into your 20s, there's nowhere to go if you're not in the first team.
    I've no idea. I couldn't tell you about the development of individual players. However, it appears to me that England and Wales currently have younger squads than has generally been the case throughout my 45 years following football, and most of the players in those squads also appear more comfortable with a football at their feet than has generally been the case.

Regardless, the main issue (for me at least) is that City currently have a manager who is seemingly opposed to the idea that young players should 'pass, pass, pass' and that philosophy manifests itself very clearly when his team plays.

I've no idea. I couldn't tell you about the development of individual players. However, it appears to me that England and Wales currently have younger squads than has generally been the case throughout my 45 years following football, and most of the players in those squads also appear more comfortable with a football at their feet than has generally been the case.

Regardless, the main issue (for me at least) is that City currently have a manager who is seemingly opposed to the idea that young players should 'pass, pass, pass' and that philosophy manifests itself very clearly when his team plays.
    I agree, and it is frustrating that at 3-0 and the game dead as mutton, we bring Hoilett on instead of giving Coxe a run out. England especially have a tremendous number of young players from South London, who are brought up playing football in cages or tight spaces, hence they've had to learn good footwork from a very early age. Sancho, Sterling, Loftus Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Tomori, Abraham, Gomez and Rice are all from South London and are of a similar age. It is remarkable.

I agree with you 100%. The current system isn't perfect but it does present opportunities for young kids to promise. The terms 'pass pass pass' and 'it's a mans game' tell us everything we already know about Warnock.

I think the u23 league could be more competitive but you've got to use it right too.

The problem for us is that because we have no pathway for youngsters to get into our team then you have a clogged up conveyor belt.

I keep using Sion Spence as an example but I think it highlights a lot of fundamental issues at our club. Three seasons ago he was playing under 23 football (which is what it is there for) and he showed himself ready to make the next step and he was on the bench for the Huddersfield game for the last game of the season only for it to be pulled for insurance or something.

The following two seasons (yes he had a few injuries) but he was back in the u18s scoring goals for fun. The thing is, when we play these under 18 teams, they are likely to be fielding 15/16 year old players and even we have fielded a 14 year old this season.

So how are players who are 18 supposed to maximize their potential playing against kids two or three years younger who haven't even developed physically in most cases?

Most u23s are playing with 17 year old and Matondo (who is the same age as Spence) pretty much went straight into Man City's u23s where he was playing against the top premier and European players week in week out.

Swansea have fielded at least two 16 year olds in their u23s this season and results will inevitably suffer, but the long term player development is the only thing that is really important.

Brooks would definitely have played u23 football and so did Foden.

The only ones who will avoid this natural progression are those who it deemed more beneficial to go out on loan very young.

I agree, and it is frustrating that at 3-0 and the game dead as mutton, we bring Hoilett on instead of giving Coxe a run out. England especially have a tremendous number of young players from South London, who are brought up playing football in cages or tight spaces, hence they've had to learn good footwork from a very early age. Sancho, Sterling, Loftus Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Tomori, Abraham, Gomez and Rice are all from South London and are of a similar age. It is remarkable.
    I saw a lengthy feature on the cages on Soccer Saturday towards the end of last season. It's an incredible story. Crystal Palace have been a particular beneficiary, although their staff have apparently done a lot of scouting and coaching work in that area too.

I saw a lengthy feature on the cages on Soccer Saturday towards the end of last season. It's an incredible story. Crystal Palace have been a particular beneficiary, although their staff have apparently done a lot of scouting and coaching work in that area too.
    I forgot Wan Bissaka and Zaha, as he's Ivorian, as well as players like Victor Moses and Clyne. The last three were blooded by a certain N. Warnock. Out of necessity but it is striking how far he's moved away from that!

In fairness with the under 23 comment I think he means it's not like playing a first team game more like a friendly. In that case though why not loan out players?

I think Warnock is a bit backwards with his view to how football is played but can understand where he's coming from with that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    In fairness with the under 23 comment I think he means it's not like playing a first team game more like a friendly. In that case though why not loan out players?

I think Warnock is a bit backwards with his view to how football is played but can understand where he's coming from with that comment.
    This season the loans have tended to involve players who are still available for the Academy side going out to League of Wales sides and I think that is definitely better for the players concerned than playing for the under 23s. Goalkeeper George Ratcliffe is getting rave reviews at Barry who, every time I look, seem to be winning 1-0 and many of the older members of last season's league winning side appear to be playing every week in a league where the standard among the top sides is pretty high I reckon- I saw a video of Dan Griffiths scoring a good goal for Pen y Bont on here recently and Sion Spence was involved in the creation of a fine goal for Barry.

It'll be interesting to see what the club see as the next step for these players when they return. In the case of someone like Ratcliffe, I don't see why he couldn't become third choice at the club if one of our three senior keepers was to leave.

I was interested to hear Nathan Blake talking about Wednesday's game on the Wales Online podcast he does. He said he heard supporters saying in the second half that City should keep the ball for a while and take the heat out of the game (which is something I find myself wishing the team would do in virtually every game I watch!), but Blakey thinks that we can't do that and said that it needs a lot of work on the training pitch to make a side proficient in that sort of game (the inference being that this is something we do not do for things like ball retention of course). While I take his point that we wouldn't compare that well to other sides in that part of the game, I keep on thinking about that goal we scored against Brighton down here last season when we put together a twenty odd pass move involving all of our outfield players which resulted in our equalising goal - it would be fascinating to know what the reaction to that goal was among our manager and his coaching staff!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was interested to hear Nathan Blake talking about Wednesday's game on the Wales Online podcast he does. He said he heard supporters saying in the second half that City should keep the ball for a while and take the heat out of the game (which is something I find myself wishing the team would do in virtually every game I watch!), but Blakey thinks that we can't do that and said that it needs a lot of work on the training pitch to make a side proficient in that sort of game (the inference being that this is something we do not do for things like ball retention of course). While I take his point that we wouldn't compare that well to other sides in that part of the game, I keep on thinking about that goal we scored against Brighton down here last season when we put together a twenty odd pass move involving all of our outfield players which resulted in our equalising goal - it would be fascinating to know what the reaction to that goal was among our manager and his coaching staff!
    Not sure if this is in the same vein, but in the summer you may recall me posting about going to see a highland league match. In the first half I stood with my boy behind the dugouts. Someone either management or coach of Fraserburgh was yelling every instruction for every pass, cross, shot, tackle, you name it. Nothing was ever good enough for him and he spent almost as much time shouting abuse at the players for not doing what they were told. Straight after Fort William equalised and he'd kicked all the drinks bottles around the dugout, Fraserburgh went on the attack. He gave their main striker a roasting for playing the wrong ball, wrong angle of run, not doing this or that, and as he called him something unpronouncable, this striker lobbed the keeper from 25 yards right into the top corner. Super finish. This coach, or whoever he was, barely raised a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    How so? TOBW merely points out that despite barely having the ball, City somehow won 3-0.
    It’s a widely held summation of the game and it’s his opinion that it wasn’t entertaining to watch.
    You have no right to infer that people such as him are somehow not behind the team and are not entitled to criticise.
    Not all of us are Warnock lemmings!

Never seen him get behind the team really and so I shouldn't be surprised if he finds something to complain about in a 3-0 victory.
    This is a weird forum for that actually . It's supposed to be a supporters forum but a handful of people who don't seem to understand how hard it is to compete at this level dominate it with negative crap about the club and stupid impractical nonsense about how they'd do it.
    I couldn't understand how that could happen because I've never seen a club forum be so anti the club it's about, then I realised that they just try to bully anyone outside their little circle of negativity, and normal people probably just give up and leave .

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I couldn't understand how that could happen because I've never seen a club forum be so anti the club it's about, then I realised that they just try to bully anyone outside their little circle of negativity, and normal people probably just give up and leave .
    Pray tell, how many club forums have you regularly posted on and read and can base this opinion on?