+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, that was weird!

Well, that was weird!

Re: Well, that was weird!

Nice one bob. Great write up.

You’ve said out when you mean our in your second paragraph btw.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Nice one bob. Great write up.

You’ve said out when you mean our in your second paragraph btw.
    I've just gone through it correcting a few things and generally tidying things up, but I'd missed that one - thanks .

Great report Bob. Normally after going into work after a 3-0 midweek win (not that I can remember the occasion) I'd be bouncing with enthusiasm and analysing the league table time after time.
    I've made it into work this morning still shaking my head in disbelief as to how we won the match last night let alone by the score line 3-0. Other than Bennett who was run ragged by their lad I didn't think any of the city boys had a bad game, but we were chasing shadows for at least 70 minutes. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled we picked up 3 points, but if we really do consider ourselves play off contenders we need to improve hugely.

Sign of a good team in many ways.

I thought they were three well constructed goals, and on the whole we defended well. Bennett having a tough time first half but flint covered well.

The possession is a worry when it's low 30s or even high 20s as it were. In the PL we would have had no chance but in this league the defending for our first two wasn't there and we took the chances well. Whether we will be able to do that more often than not, I'm not so sure.

They were very good on the ball (we also are happy to concede so much in less dangerous areas) and the no. 10 far too good for this league but despite that they didn't look very good up top. When they had the ball in the more dangerous areas we generally tightened up well.

On another day they could have beaten us or it could have been 4-4, given we also had further good chances with Glatzel and was it Pack with the late header from the free kick?

My mate on the way out said qpr were unlucky having hit the post twice, an inch inside and they would have scored, but I always think of the mighty ducks film I saw as a kid "well yea but a quarter of an inch the other way and you would have missed completely"

Colin Murray made an interesting point on Quest, when he said of all the starters last night, only Morrison, Peltier, Bennett and Paterson were regulars when we last won promotion and looking at the players brought in, the team isn't as good as it was 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Colin Murray made an interesting point on Quest, when he said of all the starters last night, only Morrison, Peltier, Bennett and Paterson were regulars when we last won promotion and looking at the players brought in, the team isn't as good as it was 2 years ago.
    Do they show the mid week highlights? I had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Do they show the mid week highlights? I had no idea
    Repeated this morning as well

And this is why I think there is misplaced optimism from the Warnockball fans.
    There’s a lot of luck involved in getting success with this style of play, which is one thing at this level, quite another if we want to get to and stay in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The argument re possession will roll on and on. Like most, I would like to see us control the ball better, take ownership of it and use it to great effect. But it isn’t the Warnock way and whilst we keep picking up points, which I very much want us to do, that will not change.

More disappointing is what we do when we have the ball. Only 56% of our passes were completed compared with QPR’s 83%. That will be because many of theirs were tippy tippy but also because our passing is often long ball and speculative. We

We played 4-3-3 at Hull and had over 50% possession. Yesterday we reverted to 4-2-3-1 because Ralls was injured and had less than 30% possession. I don't think it's entirely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Sign of a good team in many ways.

I thought they were three well constructed goals, and on the whole we defended well. Bennett having a tough time first half but flint covered well.

The possession is a worry when it's low 30s or even high 20s as it were. In the PL we would have had no chance but in this league the defending for our first two wasn't there and we took the chances well. Whether we will be able to do that more often than not, I'm not so sure.

They were very good on the ball (we also are happy to concede so much in less dangerous areas) and the no. 10 far too good for this league but despite that they didn't look very good up top. When they had the ball in the more dangerous areas we generally tightened up well.

On another day they could have beaten us or it could have been 4-4, given we also had further good chances with Glatzel and was it Pack with the late header from the free kick?

My mate on the way out said qpr were unlucky having hit the post twice, an inch inside and they would have scored, but I always think of the mighty ducks film I saw as a kid "well yea but a quarter of an inch the other way and you would have missed completely"
    Do agree with your summary .

You can see the side taking shape now and with Pack in the side it allows a bit of freedom for others to express themselves , we could have scored more .

As Eric points out only Morrison, Peltier, Bennett and Paterson were regulars when we last won promotion so this is a new side in all reality, trying to knit together.

I though QPR were very neat and yes hit the posts ( so have we in other games ) ,we just looked much stronger all over the field .

There were some nice inter passing ( not enough though )

I''m pleasantly optimistic , but aware were not pretty to watch .

Morrison back to his best was a massive plus .

We have not played many above us if nay so lets see what happens in the next few games .

City forever

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The argument re possession will roll on and on. Like most, I would like to see us control the ball better, take ownership of it and use it to great effect. But it isn’t the Warnock way and whilst we keep picking up points, which I very much want us to do, that will not change.

More disappointing is what we do when we have the ball. Only 56% of our passes were completed compared with QPR’s 83%. That will be because many of theirs were tippy tippy but also because our passing is often long ball and speculative. We
    It's also worth noting that our long ball accuracy is among the worst in the division, so while it's right that our overall pass completion rate will be lower as a result, we're actually not very good at playing long balls either. Long balls also need two to tango, the passer and having someone getting on the end of it. Man City's long passing success rate is pretty high because it is usually considered. Ours tends to be more lumping it forward in hope than to a target.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

I think you've centred on an important point. I've quite often heard Neil Warnock criticise our passing after games during his three years at the club and while I accept that he has a philosophy which doesn't place as much importance on retaining possession as most other managers these days, I cannot believe that he would be happy with that figure of 56% you mention. As you say, some of the difference between our figure and most of the opponents we play is down to the type of passes that our players are encouraged to play, we look to hit passes, not hoofs, into the space behind the line of defenders as quickly as possible, so it has to follow that our percentages are going to be lower and the truth is that, almost certainly, our players are better at passing the ball than our figures imply.

However, I maintain that, especially late on in games where you're winning or drawing, taking the heat out of things by retaining the ball for a while is one of the most effective ways of ensuring a result for your team, but we're not as good as other sides at doing that based on what I've seen in the last three years - we've been good at grinding out wins by single goal margins under Neil Warnock, but this has usually been because we have defended our lead well, rather than the opposition have struggled to get the ball off us.

Can someone tell me what chances QPR had after a bright opening spell. It wasn’t a 3-0 game but I thought we controlled the last hour of the game perfectly once we got to grips with the way they were playing after a dodgy opening half hour.

I can remember one shot against the post and one decent Smithies save second half. If that had been us chasing the game at Hull I’d be pretty disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Great report Bob. Normally after going into work after a 3-0 midweek win (not that I can remember the occasion) I'd be bouncing with enthusiasm and analysing the league table time after time.
    I've made it into work this morning still shaking my head in disbelief as to how we won the match last night let alone by the score line 3-0. Other than Bennett who was run ragged by their lad I didn't think any of the city boys had a bad game, but we were chasing shadows for at least 70 minutes. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled we picked up 3 points, but if we really do consider ourselves play off contenders we need to improve hugely.
    Bennett was shocking and not just last night, Murphy was worse if that's possible

Well put simply … that was a fantastic read.
    With one of the best introductions to a match report I have ever read.

I learn more from these home game reports regularly than I would glean if I had been there!
    Thank you.

Almost everyone around me were bored last night, and while it was nice to see the three goals go on the game failed to get fans excited at all. As TOBW says it was strange leaving the ground after a 3-0 and feeling so flat! And I watched football on Quest last night, and it's true that we are not as good as two seasons ago, but we are 2 points off the Play-Off placed and undefeated in 5 home games, with 4 of them being wins (don't mention the away stats!). So on a positive note it's better to be playing the way we are and be on 16 points than be where Stoke are are the moment. Probably only Leeds and Swansea are the two much better teams at the moment, as for the others results wise we are pretty much the same as them.

Teams will take point of each other all through this season, it may now take until Christmas for gaps to open up in the League table.

I just hope we can sneak a luck win at WBA at the weekend.

Lazy journalism from plastic Scouser Murray. For a start Patterson was on the bench.

Etheridge Ralls Hoillett Bamba and maybe even NML will all heavily feature this season.

In fact our 2 regular wingers were on the bench as 2 new signings were preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Well put simply … that was a fantastic read.
    With one of the best introductions to a match report I have ever read.

I learn more from these home game reports regularly than I would glean if I had been there!
    Thank you.
    Thanks very much for that, it genuinely means a lot to me .

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Bennett was shocking and not just last night, Murphy was worse if that's possible
    I thought Murphy played like someone whose confidence was absolutely shot - I was predicting that he would be taken off at half time and yet he lasted the whole game!

I think this squad is a long way off the 'quality' of the promotion squad, and I use italics because we weren't exactly playing attractive, open football then. But I remember us passing the ball around a lot better - the home games against Aston Villa, Sunderland and Leeds in particular. As I've commentated before, then Ralls was our least skillful player in the middle of the pitch - this season he's the most creative. There were times last night when we caught QPR on the counter-attack yet couldn't deliver a shot on goal because of our inability to make a simple pass to a player in space. That's frustrating to watch..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think this squad is a long way off the 'quality' of the promotion squad, and I use italics because we weren't exactly playing attractive, open football then. But I remember us passing the ball around a lot better - the home games against Aston Villa, Sunderland and Leeds in particular. As I've commentated before, then Ralls was our least skillful player in the middle of the pitch - this season he's the most creative. There were times last night when we caught QPR on the counter-attack yet couldn't deliver a shot on goal because of our inability to make a simple pass to a player in space. That's frustrating to watch..

The difficult question to answer is whether our players would be individually better playing another system or for another manager.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought Murphy played like someone whose confidence was absolutely shot - I was predicting that he would be taken off at half time and yet he lasted the whole game!
    Wasn't he subbed at half time in the last home game? Previous to that, against Derby, the only thing that stopped him being subbed at half time in that game was the goal he scored. I cannot understand how he is being picked every week

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I suspect Bennett was poor because he had Murphy ahead. Bennett always plays better with Hoilett.