+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: WEST BROM 4 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: WEST BROM 4 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's no big deal losing by two away from home to the leaders of the Championship if you're Luton, Barnsley and one or two others, but we were the eleventh best supported team in the Premier League last season as we averaged 31,000 - we've played eleven matches and have we looked anything like a top six side in any of them? Sorry, but that's not good enough for the sort of club we were on the last day of the 18/19 season.
    I haven't got much to say and it wouldn't have made any difference to my thoughts whether we had won or lost today but people need to realise what was acceptable 2 seasons ago when were genuinely were punching above our weight is not acceptable now.

Heisenberg

Re: WEST BROMWICH ALBION v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Which one of our footballers did we ‘practically give away’ then ? I hope you are not referring to Zohore. He was on the pitch for 10 mins today, did nothing and is not exactly setting the place on fire or Mr Popular at West Brom is he. Nor did he here, apart from a six month period two years ago. We were lucky to get £8m for him and made about £7.5m profit.
    It's amazing* how your opinion of Zohore has changed so drastically since he left the club. If anyone had dared slate him like you just have while he was a City player, you'd have accused them of not supporting the team.

*it's not amazing in the slightest

It's no big deal losing by two away from home to the leaders of the Championship if you're Luton, Barnsley and one or two others, but we were the eleventh best supported team in the Premier League last season as we averaged 31,000 - we've played eleven matches and have we looked anything like a top six side in any of them? Sorry, but that's not good enough for the sort of club we were on the last day of the 18/19 season.
    I completely agree.

No big deal?! That sounds rather defeatist and surely we should be expecting to give teams like WBA more of a game than we did.

(I didn’t go to the game btw so I’m just going by what I have read and the highlights)

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I haven't got much to say and it wouldn't have made any difference to my thoughts whether we had won or lost today but people need to realise what was acceptable 2 seasons ago when were genuinely were punching above our weight is not acceptable now.
    Exactly.

It's no big deal losing by two away from home to the leaders of the Champions if you're Luton, Barnsley and one or two others, but we were the eleventh best supported team in the Premier League last season as we averaged 31,000 - we've played eleven matches and have we looked anything like a top six side in any of them? Sorry, but that's not good enough for the sort of club we were on the last day of the 18/19 season.
    Why does it matter how many people turned up to watch us last season? Bournemouth barely get 10,000 and they're well established in the Premier League. Leeds haven't played in the top flight for over 15 years and still get over 30,000.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    I’ve done hundreds of away games including Preston 6 Cardiff 1 and I know it doesn’t ruin the day, but it’s still not great is it. All I said was I felt sorry for people watching a shit first half
    Yeah, but that's football.

Looking at the table I feel that we can inform a considered opinion. We aren’t as bad as some had us believe after the first handful of games, yet we are way off the pace of the top teams. Poor recruitment and a manager who prefers the challenge of being plucky underdogs will see us flirt with making the playoffs at best. We may may make them, we may not. That is my assessment at least. Given the events surrounding the Sala judgement I am not expecting huge sums of money to be available in January either. Neil will look to loans and players he believes can raise their game from the lower half of the championship and division 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Their first two goals were pretty decent.

I don't think Mr Warnock would recognise a footballer if he bit him on the backside. In interviews he seems genuinely surprised that "we played some good stuff at times". For crying out loud man, it is a minimum requirement to put out a team that is comfortable on the ball and has a recognisable pattern of play. The doggedness that characterises a Neil Warnock team should be used to enhance a side that gets the basics right first not be a means to an end. Such a team would be hugely effective in this league. With the right coaching we could still make an impact but I fear we will be treading water for a while yet.

I think the performances in our last two matches has highlighted how much we rely on Ralls.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Listened to the game and we sounded very second best ,and the Baggies may well go up automatically, , City though brought it back so credit there , Ward to start in next game perhaps along with Tomlin, Bamba and Etheridge ?
    Danny Ward has to start up front. Simple as. Ball to feet and he's scoring. Glatzel is ineffective in the air with high balls and missed a sitter. We certainly look more dangerous with NML on the pitch, too. Smithies made a good save and his distribution tends to be better than Ethelridge. That said, a few goals have gone in during Smithies' tenure that I think Ethelridge would have saved.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Why does it matter how many people turned up to watch us last season? Bournemouth barely get 10,000 and they're well established in the Premier League. Leeds haven't played in the top flight for over 15 years and still get over 30,000.
    I am sure Bob can answer for himself but I took it he was just trying to emphasise that we are hardly a club playing above their station against these so called Championship giants

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Listened to the game and we sounded very second best ,and the Baggies may well go up automatically, , City though brought it back so credit there , Ward to start in next game perhaps along with Tomlin, Bamba and Etheridge ?
    Ward has probably earned a start. I doubt that any of the others would actually improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The doggedness that characterises a Neil Warnock team should be used to enhance a side that gets the basics right first not be a means to an end.
    That sums it up perfectly

Bennett has struggled for three consecutive matches, but he has to play because we don't have a genuine alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    No big deal losing by 2 goals to a team at the top of the league, but somehow things dont feel right. Away form is awful, we look off the pace with quicker more skilfully players running rings round us.
    I think to some extent we have been found out and it looks to me if Warnock's buys in the summer are not proving great value.
    Our defence is vulnerable, Flint and Morrie arguably too similar, midfield looking better but up top Glaxo is hardly pulling up trees.
    We are relying on our home form but it just needs a couple of bad results and any hope of the playoffs will be gone.
    We got relegated and lost a lot of our better players. Of course we’re going to find it hard against the best teams.

Play-offs would be a fantastic achievement, and it’s probably beyond us

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Cannot say anyone has been particularly bad......I said last week when watching teh Leeds V WBA game that both teams were way ahead of us. I suppose there's the old saying 'if we get the next goal....'. No-one is even remotely theatening theh WBA defence. Overrun in midfield....full back struggling......only Smithies stands there.
    Second half just started.....another let off....could have been 3-0. Cannot sse any subs making a difference.
    Mates there said Glatzel missed a header 6 yards out at 2 nil which changed the game for us? Would that have been a goal against the run of play then?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I am sure Bob can answer for himself but I took it he was just trying to emphasise that we are hardly a club playing above their station against these so called Championship giants
    Thank you Billy - that average attendance was a few thousand more than I expected and was a sign of the sort of club we could become, but does what we did in the summer in the transfer market, the level of performance in our first eleven matches and the whole feel of the club under this manager suggest a willingness to accept the challenge this presents?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Mates there said Glatzel missed a header 6 yards out at 2 nil which changed the game for us? Would that have been a goal against the run of play then?
    He did and yes. Plus we had one disallowed for offside.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Their first two goals were pretty decent.
    Very decent well worked and, unfortunately, right in front of the City fans. Charlie Austin got some stick though which he didn't like.

Buggar...lost internet for last 10-15 minutes......Ward HAS to start,..he looks up for it...Glatzel missed an absolute sitter with his head at 0-2......could have been a turning point. No-one covered themselves with glory apart from Ward and Smithies.. ...we were simply...outclassed. My one thought with no away wins is that we are saving ourselves for our friends down the road later this month.....now that would go a long way to making amends....

I'm not upset by the loss, but the manner of it is what annoys me. 3 down then we start to attack? It's like Fulham away last season, if we didn't make it easy for the first 70 minutes then who knows what we could have done.

We play too much like a plucky underdog when we're the opposite of that. Our away form has been dreadful this season and if we are to make a run at the play-offs, it needs to change quickly.

Also Bennett is shite

duplicated for some reason...deleted

Thank you Billy - that average attendance was a few thousand more than I expected and was a sign of the sort of club we could become, but does what we did in the summer in the transfer market, the level of performance in our first eleven matches and the whole feel of the club under this manager suggest a willingness to accept the challenge this presents?
    Bob, we apparently made £100 million last , season , must have made a profit on the summer transfer window and have a parachute payment so we should not be going to Wigan,Hull,Reading Blackburn and now WBA and being happy with a return of 3 points from a possible 15 !
    Fair enough WBA but the other 4 we really should be looking at 9 point plus from those fixtures if we were serious about play offs or promotion!