Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Panic Over

  1. #1

    Panic Over

    Boris Johnson has just conceded (via official Government documents) to the Scottish Court of Sessions that he WILL ask Brussels for an extension to Article 50 and comply with the Benn Act.

    Well done Boris, maybe you are growing up fast.

  2. #2

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Boris Johnson has just conceded (via official Government documents) to the Scottish Court of Sessions that he WILL ask Brussels for an extension to Article 50 and comply with the Benn Act.

    Well done Boris, maybe you are growing up fast.
    He may be found dead in a ditch first.

  3. #3

    Re: Panic Over

    He may get a deal , or go to jail breaking that promise , he's very gun ho , bit more of a porogue due me thinks .

  4. #4

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He may be found dead in a ditch first.
    Mmm there's that nice language again that only certain folk can use . That would upset up his mum who still loves him .

  5. #5
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,651

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Mmm there's that nice language again that only certain folk can use . That would upset up his mum who still loves him .
    The 'certain folk' is Boris Johnson himself!

    Is he bothered if it 'upsets up his mum'?

  6. #6

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Mmm there's that nice language again that only certain folk can use . That would upset up his mum who still loves him .
    His own words.

  7. #7

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The 'certain folk' is Boris Johnson himself!

    Is he bothered if it 'upsets up his mum'?
    Yes he does care , his mum voted to leave and that effected him and he likes his mummy very much , his dad who is a remainer only found this out this week.

    I love the Brexit era it has uplifted my life ,when its over I will be lost .

  8. #8

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes he does care , his mum voted to leave and that effected him and he likes his mummy very much , his dad who is a remainer only found this out this week.

    I love the Brexit era it has uplifted my life ,when its over I will be lost .
    I think the only thing that has ever affected Johnson is his unwarranted ego and that has effected him badly throughout his life.

  9. #9

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think the only thing that has ever affected Johnson is his unwarranted ego and that has effected him badly throughout his life.

    He's done quite well though, hasn't he ?
    Always will I expect. I suppose he's got to be a target for socialist jealousy because of his success, but he'll always win.

  10. #10

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    He's done quite well though, hasn't he ?
    Always will I expect. I suppose he's got to be a target for socialist jealousy because of his success, but he'll always win.
    For someone who's got no discernible talent to have been so lucky to have had such plum jobs bestowed upon him, surely it just proves what oodles of filthy lucre can do for one's life chances by getting one into prep school and one of the best public schools. I wager if you and I had enjoyed such good fortune even you and I would have ended up successful Sir Jim.

  11. #11

    Re: Panic Over

    Well I did end up successful and I went to an old Welsh Grammar School when they tried to emulate the standards of public schools.
    ( I'm being serious here , by the way). My honest observation is that class is entirely self inflicted ,and I base this upon the fact that I've never found any obstacle from public school types, many of whom have been friends and colleagues.
    Perhaps that's because I wouldn't have tolerated it, perhaps it's because I gave the courtesies I received but I think it's because the whole thing is a myth intended to whip up divisions.
    Have you ever thought about the fact that socialism is out of business without a discontented mass. It's therefore to their advantage to stop " ordinary " people succeeding and to identify new perceptions of victimhood every day.
    As I've mentioned here before ,I've met a number of Prime Ministers and three Presidents and I've never felt socially disadvantaged by not having gone to Eton or Harrow. Nor do I resent those who did, and I just wish that every kid had those opportunities, which is what I think we should be aiming at.

  12. #12

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well I did end up successful and I went to an old Welsh Grammar School when they tried to emulate the standards of public schools.
    ( I'm being serious here , by the way). My honest observation is that class is entirely self inflicted ,and I base this upon the fact that I've never found any obstacle from public school types, many of whom have been friends and colleagues.
    Perhaps that's because I wouldn't have tolerated it, perhaps it's because I gave the courtesies I received but I think it's because the whole thing is a myth intended to whip up divisions.
    Have you ever thought about the fact that socialism is out of business without a discontented mass. It's therefore to their advantage to stop " ordinary " people succeeding and to identify new perceptions of victimhood every day.
    As I've mentioned here before ,I've met a number of Prime Ministers and three Presidents and I've never felt socially disadvantaged by not having gone to Eton or Harrow. Nor do I resent those who did, and I just wish that every kid had those opportunities, which is what I think we should be aiming at.
    Class is certainly not self inflicted and the term should not included in any dictionary: it's revolting.

  13. #13

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well I did end up successful and I went to an old Welsh Grammar School when they tried to emulate the standards of public schools.
    ( I'm being serious here , by the way). My honest observation is that class is entirely self inflicted ,and I base this upon the fact that I've never found any obstacle from public school types, many of whom have been friends and colleagues.
    Perhaps that's because I wouldn't have tolerated it, perhaps it's because I gave the courtesies I received but I think it's because the whole thing is a myth intended to whip up divisions.
    Have you ever thought about the fact that socialism is out of business without a discontented mass. It's therefore to their advantage to stop " ordinary " people succeeding and to identify new perceptions of victimhood every day.
    As I've mentioned here before ,I've met a number of Prime Ministers and three Presidents and I've never felt socially disadvantaged by not having gone to Eton or Harrow. Nor do I resent those who did, and I just wish that every kid had those opportunities, which is what I think we should be aiming at.
    If you make everything about jealousy and victimisation then you will never give yourself a chance to understand what people are saying. Of course you can succeed in the UK without being educated privately but there is a clearer pathway for those with better connections. My sister is doing pretty well for herself based on hard work and luck, she went to a good state school. The level she is working at now is disproportionately filled with privately educated men, many of whom were given a leg up onto the 5th or 6th rung of the ladder.

  14. #14

    Re: Panic Over

    You make sense Eric.
    Of course there's an advantage in education, but there are other advantages too. I think that my physical strength and determination not to give in helped me for example, and that was learned somewhere up in the valleys rather than on the playing fields of Eton.

    Before comprehensive education everyone had the opportunity to learn about Plato and Caesar instead of climate change and gender issues, and to do so without worrying about the teacher's personal daft political ideas or sensibilities. They still do at public schools and I think that's the main advantage they have really . Yes of course they help each other out, but no more than anyone else.

  15. #15

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Class is certainly not self inflicted and the term should not included in any dictionary: it's revolting.
    What, so we exclude all words about anything we find unpleasant from the dictionary and the things they describe will cease to exist ?
    That's such a silly idea that I can't begin to address it, but it does show just how corrosive socialism is to the human thought process.

    It's basically the same as reacting to the presence of a lion in your tent by covering your head with your blanket and pretending it's not there, isn't it ?

    Returning to the point though, there are innumerable examples in history of people reaching high office from humble origins , and of people from incredibly privileged backgrounds failing completely.
    Class prejudice is no more than an excuse to blame your shortcomings on someone or something else, but it's an appealing one since there are more stupid people than intelligent ones and therefore it gets you big numbers. Never achieves anything though, except to gain power and money for those who choose to use this particular jealousy to feather their own nests.
    Now, that's a fact not an opinion you know , because socialism has been tried well over 200 times throughout the world now, and it's never achieved anything but suffering, poverty and in some cases genocide and war.

  16. #16
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,651

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    What, so we exclude all words about anything we find unpleasant from the dictionary and the things they describe will cease to exist ?
    That's such a silly idea that I can't begin to address it, but it does show just how corrosive socialism is to the human thought process.

    It's basically the same as reacting to the presence of a lion in your tent by covering your head with your blanket and pretending it's not there, isn't it ?

    Returning to the point though, there are innumerable examples in history of people reaching high office from humble origins , and of people from incredibly privileged backgrounds failing completely.
    Class prejudice is no more than an excuse to blame your shortcomings on someone or something else, but it's an appealing one since there are more stupid people than intelligent ones and therefore it gets you big numbers. Never achieves anything though, except to gain power and money for those who choose to use this particular jealousy to feather their own nests.
    Now, that's a fact not an opinion you know , because socialism has been tried well over 200 times throughout the world now, and it's never achieved anything but suffering, poverty and in some cases genocide and war.
    Trying too hard. 2/10 - for effort, not the ludicrous content.

  17. #17

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    What, so we exclude all words about anything we find unpleasant from the dictionary and the things they describe will cease to exist ?
    That's such a silly idea that I can't begin to address it, but it does show just how corrosive socialism is to the human thought process.

    It's basically the same as reacting to the presence of a lion in your tent by covering your head with your blanket and pretending it's not there, isn't it ?

    Returning to the point though, there are innumerable examples in history of people reaching high office from humble origins , and of people from incredibly privileged backgrounds failing completely.
    Class prejudice is no more than an excuse to blame your shortcomings on someone or something else, but it's an appealing one since there are more stupid people than intelligent ones and therefore it gets you big numbers. Never achieves anything though, except to gain power and money for those who choose to use this particular jealousy to feather their own nests.
    Now, that's a fact not an opinion you know , because socialism has been tried well over 200 times throughout the world now, and it's never achieved anything but suffering, poverty and in some cases genocide and war.
    Is that what they told you at DEFRA Philip?

  18. #18

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Before comprehensive education everyone had the opportunity to learn about Plato and Caesar .
    Not true. At my school it was more playdough than Plato.

  19. #19

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Not true. At my school it was more playdough than Plato.
    ...Doh

  20. #20

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Trying too hard. 2/10 - for effort, not the ludicrous content.

    What are you ,some kind of self appointed teacher marking conversations for content ? I'm through being polite to people like you, so why you you think I give a rat's arse what you think ?
    The content is only ludicrous according to your own experience , and so I believe its subjectively hard to believe from your point of view.
    Frankly you won't understand this , but you prove my point that people limit their own horizons with imagined restrictions on their potential.
    Maybe you never met anyone "important ", and there's probably a reason for that, but it's much easier to accept if you claim that it's because you were socially disadvantaged. It's not true, but if it helps your self esteem that's okay and I wouldn't ordinarily mention it, except that what you really shouldn't do is spread your excuses as fact because youngsters might just believe you and not try hard in life.
    See, the reason why you wouldn't be welcome in my home or places I might go is not because you're working class , it's because you're very rude and unpleasant.

  21. #21

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Is that what they told you at DEFRA Philip?

    No, you're getting mixed up with your trolling files Dorcas. It was me who suggested that Cyril whatever his name is worked at DEFRA. Even though I used to own a farm, it was in Scotland and therefore bugger all to do with DEFRA .
    What's the thing with constantly using what you believe to be my first name ? Is it supposed to be sinister or something ?

    Has any of it got a connection with what we were discussing ? I think that was your idea of blanking words from the dictionary wasn't it ?

  22. #22
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,651

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    What are you ,some kind of self appointed teacher marking conversations for content ? I'm through being polite to people like you, so why you you think I give a rat's arse what you think ?
    The content is only ludicrous according to your own experience , and so I believe its subjectively hard to believe from your point of view.
    Frankly you won't understand this , but you prove my point that people limit their own horizons with imagined restrictions on their potential.
    Maybe you never met anyone "important ", and there's probably a reason for that, but it's much easier to accept if you claim that it's because you were socially disadvantaged. It's not true, but if it helps your self esteem that's okay and I wouldn't ordinarily mention it, except that what you really shouldn't do is spread your excuses as fact because youngsters might just believe you and not try hard in life.
    See, the reason why you wouldn't be welcome in my home or places I might go is not because you're working class , it's because you're very rude and unpleasant.
    Nah, you're going backwards. 1/10 - and be grateful for that!

  23. #23

    Re: Panic Over

    Yeah I'm not sure whether I'm more grateful or hurt by the scathing words of Mr. Nobody.
    I repeat, you've worn out my manners with your scummy ways, and I doubt whether that's the first time that's happened ... Go blame the class system !

  24. #24
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,651

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure whether I'm more grateful or hurt by the scathing words of Mr. Nobody.
    I repeat, you've worn out my manners with your scummy ways, and I doubt whether that's the first time that's happened ... Go blame the class system !
    Everybody is a somebody Ronnie - even you.

  25. #25

    Re: Panic Over

    That's what I'd always believed, but some of the people here are making me doubt it. There's a school of thought that there's no point trying to engage with certain sections of society and that you'll be wasting your time bothering to do so. That's a depressing thought which I've always rejected but it's hard or impossible to penetrate the shell of mediocrity and self doubt which a lot of people here have grown around themselves.
    The subject being whether class is self inflicted, the only thing stopping you involving yourself in anything at any level is that you're scared to say stuff in case you get out of your depth and you think you'll be ignored, but you won't UNLESS you doubt yourself, which is why you're so ****ing rude whenever you think you can be. That's your obstacle, not class.

  26. #26
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,651

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    That's what I'd always believed, but some of the people here are making me doubt it. There's a school of thought that there's no point trying to engage with certain sections of society and that you'll be wasting your time bothering to do so. That's a depressing thought which I've always rejected but it's hard or impossible to penetrate the shell of mediocrity and self doubt which a lot of people here have grown around themselves.
    The subject being whether class is self inflicted, the only thing stopping you involving yourself in anything at any level is that you're scared to say stuff in case you get out of your depth and you think you'll be ignored, but you won't UNLESS you doubt yourself, which is why you're so ****ing rude whenever you think you can be. That's your obstacle, not class.
    I have commented on a few of your posts. Granted I haven't bothered to challenge you on your 'facts not opinions' that are still just opinions. Nor have I responded to your pathetic boasting about who you have met and how you conform to the social mores of those with a privileged upbringing. I disagree with your characterisation of socialism. I disagree with your dismissal of unearned social and economic advantage as a factor in determining life chances. I strongly disagree with your view that critics of Boris Johnson are jealous of his (?) success, rather than contemptuous of his self-centred dishonesty, incompetence, laziness and amorality. I didn't want to get into a protracted exchange on all that - I assumed you were either on a wind up (in which case don't feed the troll) or else serious (in which case it was kinder to ignore it).

    You on the other hand have consistently come back to attack the poster(s) not the post. You are pompous, snide and abusive - whilst posturing as a well-mannered victim - which seems to be one reason why so many good posters have got you on ignore. Whatever your views on the relevance of class in modern Britain you continue to demonstrate (in its' other meaning) total classlessness. Well done!

  27. #27

    Re: Panic Over

    Here's today's episode of the Brexit soap opera.

    Brexit: Deal essentially impossible, No 10 source says after PM-Merkel call

    A No 10 source has said a Brexit deal is "essentially impossible" after a call between the PM and Angela Merkel.

    Boris Johnson and the German chancellor spoke earlier about the proposals he put forward to the EU - but the source said she made clear a deal based on them was "overwhelmingly unlikely".

    The BBC's Adam Fleming said there was "scepticism" within the EU that Mrs Merkel would have used such language.

    And the EU's top official warned the UK against a "stupid blame game".

    More: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49970267

  28. #28

    Re: Panic Over

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I have commented on a few of your posts. Granted I haven't bothered to challenge you on your 'facts not opinions' that are still just opinions. Nor have I responded to your pathetic boasting about who you have met and how you conform to the social mores of those with a privileged upbringing. I disagree with your characterisation of socialism. I disagree with your dismissal of unearned social and economic advantage as a factor in determining life chances. I strongly disagree with your view that critics of Boris Johnson are jealous of his (?) success, rather than contemptuous of his self-centred dishonesty, incompetence, laziness and amorality. I didn't want to get into a protracted exchange on all that - I assumed you were either on a wind up (in which case don't feed the troll) or else serious (in which case it was kinder to ignore it).

    You on the other hand have consistently come back to attack the poster(s) not the post. You are pompous, snide and abusive - whilst posturing as a well-mannered victim - which seems to be one reason why so many good posters have got you on ignore. Whatever your views on the relevance of class in modern Britain you continue to demonstrate (in its' other meaning) total classlessness. Well done!

    Saying stuff doesn't make it true. Not me who makes personal attacks, but I might retaliate.
    Anyway, that's enough of that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •