+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gunnar. I was a critic. Not any more

Gunnar. I was a critic. Not any more

I simply didn't realise what he brought to the team. we now have an open channel midfield & zip cover infront of the back four.

Re: Gunnar. I was a critic. Not any more

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I simply didn't realise what he brought to the team. we now have an open channel midfield & zip cover infront of the back four.
    Sometimes you dont realise what you've got until....

Think was the same when Whitts left who has brought his type of cultured dead ball touch, to our midfield since departing , and I used to here folks ranting on about him.

Add Manga to that, our best defender by far

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    Add Manga to that, our best defender by far
    Yes all those dissenting voices ,hes too slow, blah ,blah ,blah .

I do wonder at times how many of these critics,
    ever kicked a ball in anger or played in a competitive game ?

I think Pack is a pretty good replacement (though not quite as good). But he needs someone with him. Playing Bacuna further forward leaves us struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think was the same when Whitts left who has brought his type of cultured dead ball touch, to our midfield since departing , and I used to here folks ranting on about him.
    We scored more goals from set pieces the season after Whitts left. As for Whitts himself scoring great free kicks, I think we saw 3 since August 2012.

Club legend and an amazing player, particularly during the Dave Jones years, but someone that Malky half ruined and was decidedly average during his last few seasons with us to the point where he was rubbish at Blackburn and retired as nobody wanted him. We didn't miss him at all during our first season without him as we won automatic promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I think Pack is a pretty good replacement (though not quite as good). But he needs someone with him. Playing Bacuna further forward leaves us struggling.
    Neil Warnock must think an awful lot of Marlon Pack because he's largely been left to do the defensive midfield job by himself whereas Bacuna and Ralls shared that job while he was injured. When we were playing two holding midfielders, our first eight matches produced nineteen goals, whereas the three since Pack came back have yielded thirteen. Is the increase in goals per game down to this, seemingly, more attacking approach? I'm not sure it is, but, with our wingers either too inconsistent or still learning the attacking side of the game at this level, I wonder if any thought has been given to trying a 4-4-2 diamond formation?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We scored more goals from set pieces the season after Whitts left. As for Whitts himself scoring great free kicks, I think we saw 3 since August 2012.

Club legend and an amazing player, particularly during the Dave Jones years, but someone that Malky half ruined and was decidedly average during his last few seasons with us to the point where he was rubbish at Blackburn and retired as nobody wanted him. We didn't miss him at all during our first season without him as we won automatic promotion.

The honest truth, well said!

Gunnar was very underrrated. I don't think Warnock did him any favours. Watching Wolves going to toe-to-toe with Man City, it's amazing to think we were competing with them to win the League just 2 years ago. They are so far ahead of us now.

That's what long-term planning gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The honest truth, well said!
    Agree

His legs were starting to go

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    he played for his national side...what more do you want.