+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Josh Murphy

Josh Murphy

He plays like ‘the best player in the school’. Will ignore team mates and try and do it alone!
    He’ll dribble it out of play with his head down, if we have a set piece and he takes it he goes for goal from 30 yards out when there’s plenty of options for crossing inevitably skying it over the bar.
    I get the impression he’s playing for himself and not the team. If he had an end product he could be some player!
    So frustrating.

Re: Josh Murphy

10m down the pan. Norwich fans were laughing at the fee they got for him

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    He plays like ‘the best player in the school’. Will ignore team mates and try and do it alone!
    He’ll dribble it out of play with his head down, if we have a set piece and he takes it he goes for goal from 30 yards out when there’s plenty of options for crossing inevitably skying it over the bar.
    I get the impression he’s playing for himself and not the team. If he had an end product he could be some player!
    So frustrating.
    Against QPR midweek, commentators noted that Warnock was furious with Murphy for playing the ball back inside to Pack as opposed to running down the wing. I think there's this anticipation that with his pace he should be more than capable of stretching the line and helping get Cardiff up the pitch.

However I think Murphy is lacking a tonne of confidence particularly in open play. But despite that I have to credit his set pieces this season. His corners yesterday made a huge difference, in swinging and being dropped into the zone you want the ball to fall into.

I find him frustrating to watch as I feel he can provide so much more, and as you state not trying to do it all on his own could play to his benefit. Issue is he needs adequate support and I don't necessarily feel that's provided to any of our wingers, let alone Murphy.

Where I sit on the Ninian Stand, the general consensus is that he appears to have everything - but his decision-making is non-existent. His final product falls down, because he either makes the wrong decision, or fails to make one at all. He shoots when he should pass, and vice versa. Or worse still, he can't make up his mind, and loses the ball. He doesn't appear to lack confidence - he's always willing to take on his man. It's what comes after that, that causes the problem.
    However....I can't believe that this has gone un-noticed by his clubs. Don't they work on these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    10m down the pan. Norwich fans were laughing at the fee they got for him
    At least we got most of it back from West Brom, daylight robbery. And you just watch some fools pay us 10 million for Murphy this summer....