+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another rock legend passes

Another rock legend passes

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9144786.html

Ginger Baker aged 80, hard to believe he got anywhere near to that ripe old age.

Re: Another rock legend passes

Yes, I just heard it on the radio. Very sad. A great talent, but apparently not a very nice chap! A bit like Morrissey - you love their work, you want more people to hear about them - but when they open their mouths to talk.... oh dear.

Awesome drummer!! Cream are one of the all time great three piece bands. Probably 2nd only to The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Sadly, I only saw him play live once, with Hawkwind in '79. R.I.P. Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Yes, I just heard it on the radio. Very sad. A great talent, but apparently not a very nice chap! A bit like Morrissey - you love their work, you want more people to hear about them - but when they open their mouths to talk.... oh dear.
    There was a documentary about him a few years ago and he was an extremely nasty piece of stuff and mad as a hatter to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Awesome drummer!! Cream are one of the all time great three piece bands. Probably 2nd only to The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Sadly, I only saw him play live once, with Hawkwind in '79. R.I.P. Ginger
    Never got to see him myself, being a mere kid and not into the heavy rock genre whilst he was in his heyday and I didn't fully understand these "types".

I watched a music feature on Sky Arts I think it was a couple of years ago of GB's life with interviews from himself, other band members and contemporaries.
    He really was a colourful character.
    He had his demons and more than his fair share of but ups but no question of the man's talent.

Saw him and Jack Bruce regularly at Pompey when they were in the awesome Graham Bond Organisation. Unbelievably great blues band.
    Living near London with four well-supported smaller rock venues meant I regularly saw several bands before they made it big - the Animals, Georgie Fame, Screaming Lord Sutch (with Ritchie Blackmore), Manfred Mann, Alex Harvey and Johnny Kidd.

I was lucky enough to see both the original farewell concert and the much later one too.
    THE best drummer ever IMO and part of an amazing band in Cream.
    RIP Ginger...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Saw him and Jack Bruce regularly at Pompey when they were in the awesome Graham Bond Organisation. Unbelievably great blues band.
    Living near London with four well-supported smaller rock venues meant I regularly saw several bands before they made it big - the Animals, Georgie Fame, Screaming Lord Sutch (with Ritchie Blackmore), Manfred Mann, Alex Harvey and Johnny Kidd.
    Howdy, Cyclops, my old mucker (as they say down in these parts). I saw Walter Trout at Exeter on Wednesday (but can't remember if he's your bag) and purchased a ticket to see Mr R Trower in London next April. You never know when it's their last tour (especially if they live in the States).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Howdy, Cyclops, my old mucker (as they say down in these parts). I saw Walter Trout at Exeter on Wednesday (but can't remember if he's your bag) and purchased a ticket to see Mr R Trower in London next April. You never know when it's their last tour (especially if they live in the States).
    I saw Trout in the Tramshed, Mush. Was ten feet from him and fifteen from his amp. My hearing is slowly returning.
    After Trower was unable to complete a US date recently (due to old age). As his last cd was Coming Closer to the Day, I hope you have the option to get your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I saw Trout in the Tramshed, Mush. Was ten feet from him and fifteen from his amp. My hearing is slowly returning.
    After Trower was unable to complete a US date recently (due to old age). As his last cd was Coming Closer to the Day, I hope you have the option to get your money back.
    You are all heart, old fruit

When I was but a wee lad if the band at the local dance could'nt play sunshine of your love they were crap.
    Ginger will be causing havoc in the rock band in the sky