I would agree that football in this country is moving away from the football manager being in full control of the football club and running every aspect to a more continental method where directors of football are employed to cover some aspects of the club where the manager runs effectively as a head coach and manages within the structure afforded to him.

Going forward this would be something i would support, as why do we believe that a football manager, usually a former player will have all the necessary skills to run a football club, from identifying and signing players, to setting up training, to motivate players, to dealing with contracts. It seems obvious that different individuals will be better at different aspects of managing.

It was interesting to hear from that interview that despite many clubs using the technical director many clubs use them in many differing ways, where some may solely employed in the identifying and signing of players, and other may be employed in existing player development and the academy, where as some may be employed in a financial viewpoint. In this case the individual was impressed because the role was more encompassing than roles offered at other clubs.

You have to remember that talk is cheap in this regards, we have heard of the Transfer Dossier under MM, the transfer committee under the present regime, and the Cardiff Way under Trollope, all process that can be lauded by the fans when they go well, but look a bit stupid when they go flat.

I don't think anyone would argue that Cardiff would benefit from an improvement in its football management structure. The questions about a technical director shouldn't be whether we need one, more like what role would we like one to take. Then you need to identify the individual, by appointing the wrong individual the proposed structure will not work.