+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is how Cardiff City should be run

Re: This is how Cardiff City should be run

The difference between 7th and 15th in the premier league is so marginal that having the ambition of coming in the top 4 of that middle group seems fairly small over a 10 year plus investment plan. If we argue that until Warnock came in Tan's running of this club was a busted flush, our side is really only 3 years old and we have the stadium and are making strides towards the training ground so in terms of infrastructure are similar if not ahead of Brighton. What Brighton have is an extremely successful youth grouping, a system of allowing those players to progress, a scouting system that aided them in staying in the premier league and a willingness to take the calculated risk of bringing in an exciting young manager - things to work on over the next 3 years.

In terms of England, my understanding is that their system is maybe 2 years younger than "The Welsh Way" but obviously with x number of million extra people to chose from and x number of million extra to invest, the latter point not only compared to Wales but compared to every football nation in the world, it's done a lot to take strides forward. It would not be surprising to seem them win at least one of the next three international tournaments and UEFA's poo'ing the bed with the next tournament, their attempts at spreading the next Euros around smaller nations only to give the majority of the matches to Wembley, that has to be a real target for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Well it looks like we have sacked Jose Gomes so will be on our seventh manager inside five years. Be careful what you wish for.
    Yeah, let’s not wish for our club to move into the 21st century just because Reading are on their 7th manager in 5 years.

And let’s not forget, we were really shit 20 years ago.

So any Millenials don’t you dare have any ambition for your football club because we are not really a Championship established club. A club that’s has either been in the Premier League, or challenging for promotion to there for the best part of the last decade. We were really shit before you were born and that’s the way we should always be remembered.

And just so you don’t forget. We were really shit 20 years ago.

20 years ago.

Really shit.

Well it looks like we have sacked Jose Gomes so will be on our seventh manager inside five years. Be careful what you wish for.
    That's illogical. Fans aren't asking for anything radical, just a bit of a philosophy, maybe some method, the odd youngster to progress and a little bit of success in the transfer market. I'd hope that the club are thinking the same way. By your reckoning, nothing would get done as it could get worse. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's illogical. Fans aren't asking for anything radical, just a bit of a philosophy, maybe some method, the odd youngster to progress and a little bit of success in the transfer market. I'd hope that the club are thinking the same way. By your reckoning, nothing would get done as it could get worse. That's ridiculous.
    That’s unfair.

Totally.

He’s just pointing out that change isn’t always guaranteed to bring success and it’s not always controllable to the level that many on here seem to think it is.

Those things you ask for are all nice, but compared to some of the other challenges the club has faced in the last 10 years or so they are minor.

There’s going to be a new manager in a few months and I reckon we’ve got a better chance of it being one who’s taking on a successful club by getting behind and supporting the current one than constantly criticising everything he does.

We are still in a decent position despite a start which apparently is a disaster. So no need to panic and deviate from the plan that is in place .

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    That’s unfair.

Totally.

He’s just pointing out that change isn’t always guaranteed to bring success and it’s not always controllable to the level that many on here seem to think it is.

Those things you ask for are all nice, but compared to some of the other challenges the club has faced in the last 10 years or so they are minor.

There’s going to be a new manager in a few months and I reckon we’ve got a better chance of it being one who’s taking on a successful club by getting behind and supporting the current one than constantly criticising everything he does.

We are still in a decent position despite a start which apparently is a disaster. So no need to panic and deviate from the plan that is in place .
    People are looking for a new approach and set up.

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone make out it’ll be “controllable to the level that many on here seem to think it is.”

People will criticise when they don’t see things going how they like, or when they pay good money to follow the club, or give up a good amount of their spare time.

Everyone at the club is in the firing line be it fans or the media, comes with the job.

Criticism doesn’t mean non support either. Why does that one always get trounced out? DML loves that one.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yeah, let’s not wish for our club to move into the 21st century just because Reading are on their 7th manager in 5 years.

And let’s not forget, we were really shit 20 years ago.

So any Millenials don’t you dare have any ambition for your football club because we are not really a Championship established club. A club that’s has either been in the Premier League, or challenging for promotion to there for the best part of the last decade. We were really shit before you were born and that’s the way we should always be remembered.

And just so you don’t forget. We were really shit 20 years ago.

20 years ago.

Really shit.
    What a nonsense post. Reading are just as established in the Championship as Cardiff and have spent three seasons in the top flight. So what? There are no guarantees. For every Leicester there is a Stoke, or a Portsmouth, Sunderland or
    Middlesbrough. All teams who have spent a lot longer at a higher level than Cardiff but are doing considerably worse than Cardiff right now. That’s how it is.

That’s unfair.

Totally.

I've no idea what the challenges the club has faced over the last ten years has got to do with what i'd like to see happen now-quite confusing. Also, Pearcey doesn't have to point out to me that change isn't guarateed to bring success and you don't have to tell me that it's not always controllable. I know that you probably like this type of football and why not, more power to you. I don't, i think it's shit, although i'm not after total football, i'm not after playing ut from the back, just an element of thought towards our play, because there's bugger all at the moment. I will not support Warnock, i'll support the team, also, i'm not panicking, never have, i don't think this season has been a disaster and i wont deviate from the plan because i've not got a clue what the plan is

I've no idea what the challenges the club has faced over the last ten years has got to do with what i'd like to see happen now-quite confusing. Also, Pearcey doesn't have to point out to me that change isn't guarateed to bring success and you don't have to tell me that it's not always controllable. I know that you probably like this type of football and why not, more power to you. I don't, i think it's shit, although i'm not after total football, i'm not after playing ut from the back, just an element of thought towards our play, because there's bugger all at the moment. I will not support Warnock, i'll support the team, also, i'm not panicking, never have, i don't think this season has been a disaster and i wont deviate from the plan because i've not got a clue what the plan is
    Well said.

You mean there’s a plan? 🤦🏼*♂️

What a nonsense post. Reading are just as established in the Championship as Cardiff and have spent three seasons in the top flight. So what? There are no guarantees. For every Leicester there is a Stoke, or a Portsmouth, Sunderland or
    Middlesbrough. All teams who have spent a lot longer at a higher level than Cardiff but are doing considerably worse than Cardiff right now. That’s how it is.
    Every club you mentioned besides Cardiff has managed to not get relegated from the Premier League at least once.

I keep reading on this this thread about other clubs that have failed etc but if you look at the failings of those clubs it's because they didn't have any sort of plan or vision that they sunk.

You've only got to watch the Netflix documentary to see the amateurism behind Sunderland's demise and there have been similar grave errors at Portsmouth, Bolton and even Stoke.

Swansea were the model club when it came to a small club with a vision who were able to punch far above their weight and achieve good things, but as soon as they departed from that model they demise begun.

Where do we go when the parachute payments expire?

We have to find a more connected way of running our club or we'll end up where we were with Slade and it was only through Neil Warnock's genius at this level in getting every last drop out of his players that gave us a lifeline.

I fear that lifeline is now being wasted and we are tumbling back to where we were. I'm not asking to spend buckets of money, on the contrary I'm asking that our transfer policy becomes far more strategic and we don't employ a scatter gun approach like we're currently doing and signing players like Will Vaulks then discarding them after 2 games!

The only way we can become sustainable is to number one become more savvy in the transfer market by identifying now players that could become available and fit our club ethos even 2 or 3 years down the line and number two creating a pathway where even one or two youngsters have an opportunity to break in the first team.

Surely everyone can see that our club is not in line with how other successful clubs are run in 2019?

Surely everyone can see that our "transfer committee" is not fit for purpose?

Surely everyone can see that the way to successfully run a championship/premier league club is not the same in 2019 as it was in 1992?

If (and surely these things are a given) these things are true, I don't understand the opposition to those of us who'd like to see our club modernise in order to enhance our chances of future success!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I keep reading on this this thread about other clubs that have failed etc but if you look at the failings of those clubs it's because they didn't have any sort of plan or vision that they sunk.

You've only got to watch the Netflix documentary to see the amateurism behind Sunderland's demise and there have been similar grave errors at Portsmouth, Bolton and even Stoke.

Swansea were the model club when it came to a small club with a vision who were able to punch far above their weight and achieve good things, but as soon as they departed from that model they demise begun.

We have to find a more connected way of running our club or we'll end up where we were with Slade and it was only through Neil Warnock's genius at this level in getting every last drop out of his players that gave us a lifeline.

I fear that lifeline is now being wasted and we are tumbling back to where we were. I'm not asking to spend buckets of money, on the contrary I'm asking that our transfer policy becomes far more strategic and we don't employ a scatter gun approach like we're currently doing and signing players like Will Vaulks then discarding them after 2 games!

The only way we can become sustainable is to number one become more savvy in the transfer market by identifying now players that could become available and fit our club ethos even 2 or 3 years down the line and number two creating a pathway where even one or two youngsters have an opportunity to break in the first team.

Surely everyone can see that our club is not in line with how other successful clubs are run in 2019?

Surely everyone can see that the way to successfully run a championship/premier league club is not the same in 2019 as it was in 1992?

If (and surely these things are a given) these things are true, I don't understand the opposition to those of us who'd like to see our club modernise in order to enhance our chances of future success!
    Agreed.

Some of the replies, and the way some conversations have gone well off track is laughable.

That’s unfair.

Totally.

The only problem is that I see no evidence of anyone at the Club who is radical enough to actually want success in the medium term or is willing to plan for it, let alone appointing a manager who strives for excellence. To have a policy and a management system in place (on/off the pitch) that actively desires and plans for a sustainable future; brings its on-field ethos into the 21stC; invests in a fit for purpose Academy structure (Category A) and instigates a coherent scouting and transfer network is a million miles away, sadly whilst the present regime is in place.

True, whilst in Tier 3 & 4 we played dire football, worse than today's diet, but I can't remember such a paucity of ability and system of play (whilst in Tier 1 & 2) during anytime of watching City for these last 60 years.

StT.
    <><

Good post Gringo - trouble is that there are those who see any calls for improvement or discussion of weaknesses at City as, somehow, being disloyal.

But the point people are making is if there is a good progressive system in place you shouldn't end up like a pompey or a sunderland, because they were being ran like joke shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    But the point people are making is if there is a good progressive system in place you shouldn't end up like a pompey or a sunderland, because they were being ran like joke shops.
    It’s like people are reading posts and then their brains are muddling the words before they are processed, and they just answer completely differently to what the OP was about.

But, but, but, but look at Portsmouth and Sunderland.

And dont forget we were really crap 20+ years ago.

Who mentioned anything about guarantees? By your logic people shouldnt want us to try and better ourselves as a football club because some clubs have had a worse time of it, and because we used to be shit 20+ years ago.

And ill tell you whats nonsense. You banging on about where Cardiff were as a club in the 90's and how you remember them times blah,blah,blah.

Totally and utterly irrelevant in the year 2019. A total nonsense.

"Obviously, it's about staying in the Premier League first amd foremost".

It would seem obvious. But many on here and maybe at the club seemed to be of the opinion that it was OK to go down and "bounce back stronger". The so called "Burnley method".

Remember the talk during the summer of 2018 about us bringing in players who would be strong Championship performers if we got relegated, do we still believe the signings of Smithies, Cunningham, Decordova-Reid and Murphy were part of some master plan? Well, with two of them out on loan, one of them playing like he either doesn't want to be here or is going through a crisis of confidence and the other one only playing because our first choice in the position got injured, it's hard to see how it could have been - somehow, it all feels typically Cardiff City.

It’s clear that Warnock was a good appointment at the the time. He stabilised the club and unexpectedly got us promoted to the Premier League, where, frankly, our lack of a plan got found out and now we’re back to a level more befitting of the club’s set up.
    The thing is, that most clubs around us are or have already moved on and so, as many have already said, Warnock has probably taken us as far as he can.
    If we’re going to stay relevant and grow the club, we need progression, otherwise why don’t the club just employ local boys and play with an old leather ball?
    I find it stunning that with all of the money at stake, the club does appear to be like driftwood...
    Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 10-10-19 at 16:29. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s clear that Warnock was a good appointment at the the time. He stabilised the club and unexpectedly got us promoted to the Premier League, where, frankly, our lack of a plan got found out and now we’re back to a level more befitting of the club’s set up.
    The thing is, that most clubs around us are or have already moved on and so, as many have already said, Warnock has probably taken us as far as he can.
    If we’re going to stay relevant and grow the club, we need progression, otherwise why don’t the club just employ local boys and play with an old leather ball?
    I find it stunning that with all of the money at stake, the club does appear to be like driftwood...
    Imagine we had a man to do all that planning.

Wouldn’t that be lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Remember the talk during the summer of 2018 about us bringing in players who would be strong Championship performers if we got relegated, do we still believe the signings of Smithies, Cunningham, Decordova-Reid and Murphy were part of some master plan? Well, with two of them out on loan, one of them playing like he either doesn't want to be here or is going through a crisis of confidence and the other one only playing because our first choice in the position got injured, it's hard to see how it could have been - somehow, it all feels typically Cardiff City.
    The question nobody seems to answer -even ask for that matter - is if we were a better run club would we be more successful ? Huddersfield hung on to the Premier league by their fingertips - not dissimilar to us apart from the end result, but the next season when they strengthened they were relegated pretty much by Christmas. They played some really good football an attempted to move away from their 'backs-to-the-wall' approach. I remember them looking impressive on TV a few times and they played us off the park here. Now look at them. They may move up the table as the season progresses, but maybe if they'd stuck to a playing style that their players were more adept at, they's still be in the PL..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The question nobody seems to answer -even ask for that matter - is if we were a better run club would we be more successful ? Huddersfield hung on to the Premier league by their fingertips - not dissimilar to us apart from the end result, but the next season when they strengthened they were relegated pretty much by Christmas. They played some really good football an attempted to move away from their 'backs-to-the-wall' approach. I remember them looking impressive on TV a few times and they played us off the park here. Now look at them. They may move up the table as the season progresses, but maybe if they'd stuck to a playing style that their players were more adept at, they's still be in the PL..
    I think this is a fair question. I think if a club like Cardiff or Huddersfield go up with limited funds, having a vision or plan doesn't guarantee that a club will stay up but just increase it's chances.

I think the loss of Stuart Webber towards the end of their promotion season was a hammer blow for Huddersfield. No doubt some of the players they signed in the first season in the premier league would have already been identified when he left.

The appointment of Olaf Rebbe as sporting director just simply didn't work. He was sacked by Wolfsburg before he came in and signed all prospects from Bundesliga 2 when they probably weren't good enough.

They recently brought in David Webb as head of operations who has been working at Ostersunds and had previously been head of recruitment at Bournemouth so it will be interesting to see how they do in the next window.

I watched an interview on YouTube with Stuart Webber and Steve Weaver which highlighted the scale of the job they undertook when they took up their roles at Huddersfield.

https://youtu.be/6K9UBRvGR0k

One thing I will add, is that though Huddersfield don't look brilliant on the pitch at them moment, off the pitch they are stable.

We were hemorrhaging money before we got promoted and I think it will be the same again soon if something drastic isn't done.