+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is how Cardiff City should be run

This is how Cardiff City should be run

Re: This is how Cardiff City should be run

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Sad, that this is the opposite of how City is run. How much we need someone of foresight like this to give a vision to our Club and execute it. As the Good Book says, "Without a vision the people perish."

StT.
    <><

A good 7 mins that

Yet Brighton deserved to be relegated last season rather than us? we beat them home and away!

Excellent. Good to listen to. My job in Industry as Head of Planning & Strategy has a very similar brief and it's been very enjoyable over the last few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Yet Brighton deserved to be relegated last season rather than us? we beat them home and away!

Ashworth has only been there since March/April.

But they got more points than us

Listen to the bit around 4:35 about changing philosophy. This is what will happen to City when NW goes as his philosophy is now ingrained in the club.

Utter crock of shite
    A nodding dog excercise.
    Brighton are 20 odd games away from dropping back into obscurity again.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Utter crock of shite
    A nodding dog excercise.
    yeah they were better off hoping to hit 40 points with hit and hope football

There was an article in the Telegraph last week about Leicester, exactly the same kind of recruitment policy, infrastructure and long term planning. Light years ahead of what's happening here

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Utter crock of shite
    A nodding dog excercise.
    And potentially major financial issues. The whole piece about philosophy and long term vision is great but Brighton appear to have achieved their success by chucking enormous amounts of money at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    And potentially major financial issues. The whole piece about philosophy and long term vision is great but Brighton appear to have achieved their success by chucking enormous amounts of money at it.
    I don't understand comments like this. It's like saying Chelsea don't spend much money cos they didn't when Ken Bates was in charge.

They have an owning who clearly has been good for Brighton. (Remember they were playing at that Hockey stadium)

He will have made mistakes in the learning process but his ideas are obviously evolving and he has now employed Dan Ashworth who has done some really impressive things in the England set up.

He then controversially (but in my opinion wisely) replaced Hughton with Graham Potter who was responsible for restoring Swansea's identity as well as doing some superb work in Ostersunds in recent years.

What I posted wasn't a full break down of Brighton's spending over the last 10 years but that they are developing structures within the club which will give them and enhanced chance of realising their goals while we have a manager who says "my butty phoned me from France and he's only ever recommended one player to me and he was good, so I just had a hunch this one was right. Sometimes you've gotta go with your instincts Sharon reckons"!

From F365 winners and losers

Graham Potter
    We hear it every time, and we heard it this time: Be careful what you wish for. Chris Hughton felt like the most British non-British manager and Potter the most foreign British manager, so although the usual actors switched places the advice still rained down: Don’t lose what you have, play it safe.

Forget that Hughton almost took Brighton down after doing such a wonderful job at Brighton. Forget that results had fallen off a cliff. Forget that Potter had a grand vision to take Brighton forward that excited the club and persuaded them to back him. People on the outside thought that they knew best.

Brighton had become one of the most predictable clubs in the Premier League; they are now one of the most interesting. Tottenham were dreadful on Saturday, but that doesn’t mean that Brighton don’t deserve great credit. Speak to their supporters, and they will tell you that this landmark victory has been in the post for some time. We told you so ourselves.
    ADVERTISING

Most impressive is how quickly Potter has changed Brighton. The average age of the starting XI has dropped, and the team that faced Tottenham on Saturday was the youngest since they were promoted – it contained no player aged 30 or above. Last season, Hughton gave just 110 league minutes to players aged 21 or under (all given to Yves Bissouma before he turned 22 in late August). This season, that total already stands at 453 minutes and Steven Alzate and Aaron Connelly were two stars of Saturday’s win.

Tactically, there is variation where once there was certainty. Potter typically prefers to start with a 3-4-2-1 formation – in itself a significant change from last season – but is regularly prepared to tweak and switch mid-game. The style of play has been transformed, from direct, low-possession football to possession-based play. Brighton’s average possession has gone up 13% from one season to the next.

The signings have helped. Neal Maupay has allowed the responsibility on Glenn Murray – and the way in which playing Murray subscribes the team to a certain strategy – to diminish, but the addition of Aaron Mooy is the brainwave. He and Pascal Gross now get to share creative duties, rather than Gross carrying those on his shoulders.

One of the misnomers of safety-first football is that bedding in and defending with a low block at least avoids your side conceding goals. But the opposite can be true. Brighton are playing more expansively and with such confidence that their opponents are being penned back and given something to think about in their own third. Brighton have conceded 10 goals in eight games and have already played Manchester City away. No team has more clean sheets in the league.

The Premier League is sold as the Promised Land, and it is indeed great to pit yourselves against the game’s elite. But after the initial surge of excitement, it’s not much fun watching a team try and draw games 0-0 or keep the score down and grind out home wins against easier opposition. What Brighton – and many of their supporters – wanted was to try to have some fun. For fans, that’s what it’s supposed to be about.

Appointing Potter might be a misstep. It might still cost Brighton their place in the Premier League. But equally might allow this non-elite club to thrive in the top flight and hit upon a method of becoming even greater than the sum of their parts. It might mean that they find something better. And right now, life under Graham Potter feels better and tastes sweeter.
    https://www.football365.com/news/pre...ostly-losers-2

I don't understand comments like this. It's like saying Chelsea don't spend much money cos they didn't when Ken Bates was in charge.

They have an owning who clearly has been good for Brighton. (Remember they were playing at that Hockey stadium)

He will have made mistakes in the learning process but his ideas are obviously evolving and he has now employed Dan Ashworth who has done some really impressive things in the England set up.

He then controversially (but in my opinion wisely) replaced Hughton with Graham Potter who was responsible for restoring Swansea's identity as well as doing some superb work in Ostersunds in recent years.

What I posted wasn't a full break down of Brighton's spending over the last 10 years but that they are developing structures within the club which will give them and enhanced chance of realising their goals while we have a manager who says "my butty phoned me from France and he's only ever recommended one player to me and he was good, so I just had a hunch this one was right. Sometimes you've gotta go with your instincts Sharon reckons"!
    You can't separate how good something looks and how much it costs. I would prefer if we opted for a similar model but Brighton have accrued the second most debt in premier League achieving this system and infrastructure. You make it sound like we could just adopt it overnight and that it incurs no additional cost.

You can't separate how good something looks and how much it costs. I would prefer if we opted for a similar model but Brighton have accrued the second most debt in premier League achieving this system and infrastructure. You make it sound like we could just adopt it overnight and that it incurs no additional cost.
    Absolute nonsense. I'd imagine a lot of Brighton's debts come as a result of moving from the Witherdene or whatever it was called to their new stadium as well as building brand new training facilities.

I've looked at the players they've brought in over the last 3 years and the two years previous to this they've adopted a bit a of a scatter gun approach to transfers until this season which suggests to me that if they had structures in place earlier then they wouldn't have wasted so much.

I'm not asking to spend more money I'm asking to spend the money we do have a lot more wisely.

If this is modern day, Cardiff are hunched over dragging a big wooden club behind them with a gormless look on their face.

Did you listen to it? When he started etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    There was an article in the Telegraph last week about Leicester, exactly the same kind of recruitment policy, infrastructure and long term planning. Light years ahead of what's happening here
    Norwich as well, their loan strategy etc getting players to the right clubs was a good read.
    They’ll send one kid to league 2 because he’s a bit soft, another one to Holland to play possession etc.

Absolute nonsense. I'd imagine a lot of Brighton's debts come as a result of moving from the Witherdene or whatever it was called to their new stadium as well as building brand new training facilities.

I've looked at the players they've brought in over the last 3 years and the two years previous to this they've adopted a bit a of a scatter gun approach to transfers until this season which suggests to me that if they had structures in place earlier then they wouldn't have wasted so much.

I'm not asking to spend more money I'm asking to spend the money we do have a lot more wisely.
    Well that is revolutionary, spend the money more wisely.

You can't have it both ways. It's either a proven long term strategy warts and all or they just adopted it and there is no evidence it has reaped any benefits yet.

Their stadium and training facilities make up just over half their debt. Somehow their stadium cost twice as much as ours and is smaller.

Also it's probably best if you try and have a discussion without starting every post with some derisory comment just because somebody disagrees with you.

I think there are a lot of people who believe we have long needed someone at the club, other than Neil Warnock, who actually knows something about football. I'm not going to knock our manager, as I tend to believe that to a certain extent, he's working with his hands tied behind his back. But off the pitch, we still seem to be operating like a lower-division side. We have a board of 'money men', and we have a manager. That's it. There's no 'football' bridge between the two (no matter how well they claim to get on), and we desperately need someone to oversee progress and development long-term. Someone apart from Mr Warnock, who seems to be in charge of everything.
    There's a poll elsewhere on these pages, asking fans to how long Warnock should stay. Now, whether he stays or goes, whoever comes in is going to have to start all over again. New team, new backroom staff, new methods, new tactics. Is this a good way to run a club? The club should be looking at what Brighton are doing, and seeking to emulate it. Yes, it costs money, but it will reap the rewards in the long term.

For Brighton read Charlton. For Charlton read Reading. For Reading read Swansea. Teams that thought they had broken the mould....until they were relegated.
    Brighton may survive for a couple of seasons. Maybe even a little longer. Then they will go down and we will move onto the latest team that has apparently broken the mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    For Brighton read Charlton. For Charlton read Reading. For Reading read Swansea. Teams that thought they had broken the mould....until they were relegated.
    Brighton may survive for a couple of seasons. Maybe even a little longer. Then they will go down and we will move onto the latest team that has apparently broken the mould.
    Oh well **** it then, let's just put Alf Garnett in charge of transfers.
    No point doing anything or becoming more professional in any way.

I've never read such shite in my life ffs

Well that is revolutionary, spend the money more wisely.

You can't have it both ways. It's either a proven long term strategy warts and all or they just adopted it and there is no evidence it has reaped any benefits yet.

Their stadium and training facilities make up just over half their debt. Somehow their stadium cost twice as much as ours and is smaller.

Also it's probably best if you try and have a discussion without starting every post with some derisory comment just because somebody disagrees with you.
    You're missing the point once again. The owner came in with an affinity for the club and his knowledge on how to be successful has evolved year by year!

It that too hard to understand. He's possibly made mistakes but no he's trying to rectifying any previous errors by putting systems in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I thought their ambitions of being a top 10 club were a bit much considering their size and that most clubs outside the top 6 could always fall through the trap door but Leicester have bucked that trend (for now) and Wolves could too. Charlton and Swansea had decent stints in the top division, to be fair, before taking a wrong turn. We all could be run in a progressive manner but three would still go down. However, it would actually be nice to be run in a progressive, cohesive manner for a change.