+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is how Cardiff City should be run

Re: This is how Cardiff City should be run

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Oh well **** it then, let's just put Alf Garnett in charge of transfers.
    No point doing anything or becoming more professional in any way.

I've never read such shite in my life ffs
    How do you know what Brighton is doing is more professional? You have no idea about how their club is run.What Ashworth said is not remotely unusual or special. They just about survived last season. Big whoop. If they are still in the top flight in 6 or 7 years time you may have a point but I won’t be holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I thought their ambitions of being a top 10 club were a bit much considering their size and that most clubs outside the top 6 could always fall through the trap door but Leicester have bucked that trend (for now) and Wolves could too. Charlton and Swansea had decent stints in the top division, to be fair, before taking a wrong turn. We all could be run in a progressive manner but three would still go down. However, it would actually be nice to be run in a progressive, cohesive manner for a change.
    Leicester have done very well. They do have more of a history of being a top flight team though than the others I mentioned.
    I just think posters on here should appreciate what you have. A nice stadium, decent gates, a chairman who despite his faults has stuck it out, a manager who has you highly competitive at this level, two recent promotions to the top flight, a League Cup Final in recent times etc

I understand the frustration at the playing style and lack of Academy boys coming through but overall surely the positives outweigh the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Well that is revolutionary, spend the money more wisely.

You can't have it both ways. It's either a proven long term strategy warts and all or they just adopted it and there is no evidence it has reaped any benefits yet.

Their stadium and training facilities make up just over half their debt. Somehow their stadium cost twice as much as ours and is smaller.

Also it's probably best if you try and have a discussion without starting every post with some derisory comment just because somebody disagrees with you.
    Then how does your point about debt apply to Cardiff, when we already have the stadium but covered?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Leicester have done very well. They do have more of a history of being a top flight team though than the others I mentioned.
    I just think posters on here should appreciate what you have. A nice stadium, decent gates, a chairman who despite his faults has stuck it out, a manager who has you highly competitive at this level, two recent promotions to the top flight, a League Cup Final in recent times etc

I understand the frustration at the playing style and lack of Academy boys coming through but overall surely the positives outweigh the negatives.
    Seems to be only one acceptable way to run a club these days.

Sometimes it’s just as good to be able to adapt and take opportunities when they arrive as it is to have a tightly structured plan.

I’ve seen businesses ( and that’s what a football club is) thrive and fail through both.

There is still a lot going on behind the scenes at City with the new training ground being the biggest thing.

Leicester have spent huge amounts of money and were also allowed to do so with a clean slate after going bust.
    They have been a massive success story, but there’s also plenty have failed, many of whom thought they had a master plan.

Our club has got where it is over the past few seasons despite crippling debts left from previous owners and our current owners early mistakes.

I dont think there was ever the chance to look long term and even now we need to get promoted in the next 2 seasons or end up as one of the poor men of the league again.

A change of direction imho is more likely in the short term to lead to us going down than up.

A price I’m sure plenty on here will accept, but the majority of ordinary fans won’t be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Seems to be only one acceptable way to run a club these days.

Sometimes it’s just as good to be able to adapt and take opportunities when they arrive as it is to have a tightly structured plan.

I’ve seen businesses ( and that’s what a football club is) thrive and fail through both.

There is still a lot going on behind the scenes at City with the new training ground being the biggest thing.

Leicester have spent huge amounts of money and were also allowed to do so with a clean slate after going bust.
    They have been a massive success story, but there’s also plenty have failed, many of whom thought they had a master plan.

Our club has got where it is over the past few seasons despite crippling debts left from previous owners and our current owners early mistakes.

I dont think there was ever the chance to look long term and even now we need to get promoted in the next 2 seasons or end up as one of the poor men of the league again.

A change of direction imho is more likely in the short term to lead to us going down than up.

A price I’m sure plenty on here will accept, but the majority of ordinary fans won’t be happy with that.
    It’s where Reading are now. We have been struggling at this level for five years having been a strong Championship club for a decade. This still represents a golden era in our club’s history though and I think it’s similar for Cardiff. We are likely to go down sooner rather than later. Being back in the lower divisions will Test the strength and depth of our support.

It’s cyclical though isn’t it? I remember being at Elm Park in the 80’s watching Reading in front of 4000 in Division Four. I recall Cardiff playing at this level in the 90’s in front of similar sized gates. It’s the ups and downs of supporting your club.

You're missing the point once again. The owner came in with an affinity for the club and his knowledge on how to be successful has evolved year by year!

It that too hard to understand. He's possibly made mistakes but no he's trying to rectifying any previous errors by putting systems in place.
    You started by holding it up as the holy grail and then admitted that they have actually only been doing it right for a few months. Who knows what you will think in two months after they lose a few games.

Oh well **** it then, let's just put Alf Garnett in charge of transfers.
    No point doing anything or becoming more professional in any way.

I've never read such shite in my life ffs
    Mad isn’t it.

Swansea have kept their way and now have a load of kids coming through as well. Imagine they kept Dan James!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Then how does your point about debt apply to Cardiff, when we already have the stadium but covered?
    What?

What?
    My point is that we wouldn’t get into the same level of debt, since our stadium is a sunk cost - it’s already been incurred - and as was pointed out, was cheaper than Brighton’s.

It’s where Reading are now. We have been struggling at this level for five years having been a strong Championship club for a decade. This still represents a golden era in our club’s history though and I think it’s similar for Cardiff. We are likely to go down sooner rather than later. Being back in the lower divisions will Test the strength and depth of our support.

It’s cyclical though isn’t it? I remember being at Elm Park in the 80’s watching Reading in front of 4000 in Division Four. I recall Cardiff playing at this level in the 90’s in front of similar sized gates. It’s the ups and downs of supporting your club.
    Yeah I remember all that too. If someone had told me we’d get to 2 Cup finals, win the Championship and then runners up a few years later I wouldn’t have believed them.

Expectations in football seem to have gone mad in the last few years. Maybe symptomatic of society as a whole.

More pressure on clubs who buck the trend and play direct football than those who talk a good game about strategy and philosophy etc as it hides their poor results for a short time.
    ‘I’d rather lose to you than play football like you do’ - the number of times I read that or similar the year we went up- and a fair few this season too.

Certainly seems to have saved Johnson at Bristol City a few times after his annual collapses .

I guess that’s a good thing 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    My point is that we wouldn’t get into the same level of debt, since our stadium is a sunk cost - it’s already been incurred - and as was pointed out, was cheaper than Brighton’s.
    My point wasn't really that it was expensive to set up the kind of systems described, just that if Brighton was well run they wouldn't be where they are.

Haven't seen any evidence to suggest that what Brighton are doing will work long term, will need to wait and see in a few years.

Obviously we could be in a far worse position than we are but you wouldn't want the a club run with the mindset of "could be worse" or "at least we're not Bury." We've been stumbling upwards since Hammam got here and while that's better than stumbling downwards surely at some point we make good on one of the opportunities we've had. Maybe this will be the one but there's still a concern the next manager will be chosen by throwing a dart onto a list of candidates.

You started by holding it up as the holy grail and then admitted that they have actually only been doing it right for a few months. Who knows what you will think in two months after they lose a few games.
    I put a video up of a sporting director who has been very successful in his role at England and been fundamental in England's DNA programme which has been an overwhelming success.

The chairman has appointed him and taken the decision to replace a steady eddy manager with a manager who is regarded one of the best up and coming British managers in the game.

You are the one who took off on a tangent about how Brighton have been run since the ****ing war!

I put a video up of a sporting director who has been very successful in his role at England and been fundamental in England's DNA programme which has been an overwhelming success.

The chairman has appointed him and taken the decision to replace a steady eddy manager with a manager who is regarded one of the best up and coming British managers in the game.

You are the one who took off on a tangent about how Brighton have been run since the ****ing war!
    Look at the title of the thread. You didn't just post a video...

Stop getting so angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I thought their ambitions of being a top 10 club were a bit much considering their size and that most clubs outside the top 6 could always fall through the trap door but Leicester have bucked that trend (for now) and Wolves could too. Charlton and Swansea had decent stints in the top division, to be fair, before taking a wrong turn. We all could be run in a progressive manner but three would still go down. However, it would actually be nice to be run in a progressive, cohesive manner for a change.
    West Brom are a club I think we could realistically replicate.

Always at the top of the champ, or bottom half of Prem.

Decent football and decent support.

Would also like to see us lead the way with community work

Look at the title of the thread. You didn't just post a video...

Stop getting so angry.
    The title of the thread is still consistent with what I've said muppet

The post is about how OP would like to see us run.

I don’t see anything about spending big bucks or getting into more debt.

I'm afraid Nathan Blake has a point when he says that we may as well accept what we're getting now while this manager is in charge - if there is a "plan" in place at Cardiff, it only lasts until the end of this season when, we're told, Neil Warnock will retire.

I would agree that football in this country is moving away from the football manager being in full control of the football club and running every aspect to a more continental method where directors of football are employed to cover some aspects of the club where the manager runs effectively as a head coach and manages within the structure afforded to him.

Going forward this would be something i would support, as why do we believe that a football manager, usually a former player will have all the necessary skills to run a football club, from identifying and signing players, to setting up training, to motivate players, to dealing with contracts. It seems obvious that different individuals will be better at different aspects of managing.

It was interesting to hear from that interview that despite many clubs using the technical director many clubs use them in many differing ways, where some may solely employed in the identifying and signing of players, and other may be employed in existing player development and the academy, where as some may be employed in a financial viewpoint. In this case the individual was impressed because the role was more encompassing than roles offered at other clubs.

You have to remember that talk is cheap in this regards, we have heard of the Transfer Dossier under MM, the transfer committee under the present regime, and the Cardiff Way under Trollope, all process that can be lauded by the fans when they go well, but look a bit stupid when they go flat.

I don't think anyone would argue that Cardiff would benefit from an improvement in its football management structure. The questions about a technical director shouldn't be whether we need one, more like what role would we like one to take. Then you need to identify the individual, by appointing the wrong individual the proposed structure will not work.

You always seem to come on here and tell Cardiff fans what they should and shouldn’t be happy with, it’s so patronising.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    You always seem to come on here and tell Cardiff fans what they should and shouldn’t be happy with, it’s so patronising.
    When are Cardiff fans ever happy?

The title of the thread is still consistent with what I've said muppet
    You want us run like that and your evidence that it would create value for money is one transfer window and a handful of games.

You should stop being so personal when people disagree with you.

When are Cardiff fans ever happy?
    I just don’t think it’s that bad right now. It’s been a lot worse for Cardiff over many years than it is these days.

You want us run like that and your evidence that it would create value for money is one transfer window and a handful of games.

You should stop being so personal when people disagree with you.
    Give over mate, you were attributing to me stuff I never even said. I explained what I was saying yet you still fired the same nonsense back at me. Don't pretend to be the victim

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    It’s not meant that way. I have always followed Cardiff admittedly from a distance and remember some very dark days for the club especially in the 90’s when the club really had no money and were playing in the old fourth division. By comparison the club is in a much better place these days.