+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: U23’s today

U23’s today

The U23’s Kick off at 1pm this afternoon at Leckwith Stadium.
    Free to enter and free parking.
    I don’t know why the club doesn’t advertise it
    Several first team players involved
    We’re playing Millwall 👍

Re: U23’s today

Just seen this, I could have and would have gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Just seen this, I could have and would have gone too.
    It's pathetic, there's no fixture list for the Under 23s on the club website and the website I've found with a fixture list says Millwall at home is on November 18. I would also have gone if I'd known there was a game on, but the first I knew of it was when I got in from my weekly shop to read Padraig's post above about five minutes into the match!

Anyway, there's a live stream of the match on the club site and, from what I've seen, we're not missing much - 0-0 about ten minutes into the second half.

Edit 1-0, City just scored!

Tom Sang scored the first with a good first time finish after a nice move down the right and James Waite has just made it 2-0 with a shot from about twenty yards.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tom Sang scored the first with a good first time finish after a nice move down the right and James Waite has just made it 2-0 with a shot from about twenty yards.
    2-1 now?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    2-1 now?
    Yes, Millwall gota goal back, but it finished 2-1 - City wasted a few chances to make the game safe late on, but, based on the second half at least, they deserved their win.

Unfortunately, this seems to echo the club’s current attitude to the academy.
    It’s madness.

The first half was one to forget but the second half came alive.
    Bogle looked sharp but missed a hatful of chances but the best players for City were James Waite and Aaron Bolger.
    Waite’s diminutive stature commanded the midfield and right wing areas where he constantly looked for work and deservedly got his goal.
    Bolger was strong and linked defense with attack with his crisp pinpoint passing and coolness under pressure rarely giving away possession- he was the engineer in midfield!!
    Curtis Nelson also had a good game but a cushioned backwards header to Joe Day was nearly intercepted.
    Millwall also had a fair penalty shout waved away which could have been given
    City did waste a few late chances but deserved the win
    In my opinion both Waite and Bolger should be knocking on the door of the first team subs bench at least.

It's pathetic, there's no fixture list for the Under 23s on the club website and the website I've found with a fixture list says Millwall at home is on November 18. I would also have gone if I'd known there was a game on, but the first I knew of it was when I got in from my weekly shop to read Padraig's post above about five minutes into the match!

Anyway, there's a live stream of the match on the club site and, from what I've seen, we're not missing much - 0-0 about ten minutes into the second half.

Yes very poor there are games folk might like to attend , strange club at times , especially in this age of instant upload to social media .

Started by trying to play from the back which didn't really work out but at least we're still doing so at that level and not hoofing into the channels. Waite is 20 now and needs a loan somewhere, preferably not too far down the pyramid (or abroad). Perhaps we've tried but no takers for some reason?

Cardif.jpg

Today was also proof there's only one F in Cardiff.

I found a fixture list for 23s and 18s in the last programme, under Cardiff City FC's Academy U23 Squad. Not easy to find but it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Started by trying to play from the back which didn't really work out but at least we're still doing so at that level and not hoofing into the channels. Waite is 20 now and needs a loan somewhere, preferably not too far down the pyramid (or abroad). Perhaps we've tried but no takers for some reason?
    I've no idea about the loan situation but I assume Waite is next in line to be the home grown player in the match day squad. Maybe Warnock's plan B is to unleash Waite and Tomlin together in front of Pack and behind a front 3, a la Man City? That would involve a slight change of tactics but we've got a couple of weeks to work on it before the Sheffield Wednesday game.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've no idea about the loan situation but I assume Waite is next in line to be the home grown player in the match day squad. Maybe Warnock's plan B is to unleash Waite and Tomlin together in front of Pack and behind a front 3, a la Man City? That would involve a slight change of tactics but we've got a couple of weeks to work on it before the Sheffield Wednesday game.
    Match report from Wales Online here that (apart from describing Mozzer as a classy, ball playing defender) suggests James Waite will have to grow a bit before he can break into the first team. How much growth do they expect in a 20 year old?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...stars-17045391

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Didn't he go to Hereford last season?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Match report from Wales Online here that (apart from describing Mozzer as a classy, ball playing defender) suggests James Waite will have to grow a bit before he can break into the first team. How much growth do they expect in a 20 year old?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...stars-17045391
    Thanks for that. Yes, he may have got Sean and Ravel Morrison muddled up there but it was an interesting report. Five at the back again at that level for now which makes sense given the personnel available. I guess they get told to switch to four and start hoofing it if Warnock turns up.

I've seen Price as a full back and in a back three and he impressed me both times but if other clubs were after him then why couldn't we fix up a loan deal for him? Or is he a couple of injuries away from a first team spot? Who knows.

Sang seems to be coming along well and that report is nearly as enthusiastic about Aaron Bolger as his dad has been in this thread.

Waite's is a sad situation. So much talent but so little of him. Obviously I was joking about Warnock switching formations but that kind of set up would suit his abilities best, hard to see him making it now but I hope I'm wrong. I'm not defending the club's recent youth policy but they have been unlucky there, I'm sure Waite is one growth spurt away from being a top player but, as you suggest, time is quickly running out for any hope of that.

Curtis Nelson was doing the long throws up the touch line, so maybe Neil Warnock was watching?