+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corbyn on grass roots football and Trusts

Corbyn on grass roots football and Trusts

Everyone is in pre-election mode, so this looks like one for the manifesto:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-clubs-are-run

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/20...dmarsdn8syijsb

Corbyn has promised to make sure the Premier League invests 5% of its TV rights income in the grassroots game. He said a Labour government would ensure supporters’ trusts could appoint and sack at least two members of the clubs’ boards. It would also allow supporters’ trusts the right to buy shares in a club when it changed owners.

Seems both sensible and popular to me. Doing this in Newcastle with Mike Ashley as the target was like tapping in to an open goal from 6 inches out. Even poor old Fred Guonongbe would have scored that.

Re: Corbyn on grass roots football and Trusts

I read about this this morning. I think it's a fantastic idea.

I can't see it harming football in anyway, shape or form as there'll always be footie. I think it would be great for us fans too!

We tried a trust but certain fans didn't like being left out and having their celebrity status stamped on

Why select Newcastle and hold thier shirt , thought he was a gooner , argh hang on , northern electioneering policy , his PR team hard at work again.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/club-statement-jeremy-corbyn/

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We tried a trust but certain fans didn't like being left out and having their celebrity status stamped on
    What is the deal with our trust? I am 25 so do not know the full history that well, but our trust seems significantly small and weak for a club such as our self's, they were practically non existent during the re brand years and membership uptake seems small?

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    What is the deal with our trust? I am 25 so do not know the full history that well, but our trust seems significantly small and weak for a club such as our self's, they were practically non existent during the re brand years and membership uptake seems small?
    Perhaps there lies the answer: generally speaking, the people who wanted fan representation/the club to care about the fans couldn't fully stomach the rebrand and the people who could stomach it were more interested in giving an owner free reign as long as it meant success. The Trust was doing good things before, the Fred Keenor statue being a big success, and is doing good things now, just on a smaller scale.

Whether you agree with Corbyn or not, he seems to come out with a thousand new policies every quarter. Which ones is he actually going to pursue if/when he gets into government?

“Supporters are allowed to appoint, and sack 2 members of the clubs board”
    Fook me. It would be like a revolving door!

If you recall the fan base was split right down the middle in regards to the rebrand. The trust couldn’t put its cap on one side or the other.

I dare say, The trust has nothing to do at the moment as on the face of it were a reasonably well run club with quite a good owner now we both understand each other.

It's unfair to say the Trust was practically non existent during the rebrand dispute. As someone who, initially, could see both sides of the argument and so felt differently to most of them, I can tell you that the large majority of the Committee (in fact it may have been all of them) at the time felt differently to me and were completely against it. However, being a democratic organisation, it had to represent its members views and the fact of the matter is that the first consultation with members after the decision to change colours had been announced showed that there was not the same degree of opposition to it as there was among the Committee members.

Subsequent surveys of membership opinion showed a gradual hardening among the membership against the rebrand and so the Trust's viewpoint shifted accordingly. They played a full part in the organisation of the march against the rebrand that was held before we played Liverpool in March 2014 and produced a replica of the fans favourite blue shirt with a white and yellow stripe from the 70s (which, from personal experience, I can tell you is of far better quality than the ones the club sells every season and a fair bit cheaper as well) which was marketed as being part of the protest against us playing in red.

Membership numbers aren't great currently, but the Trust still has regular meetings with the likes of Ken Choo and Mehmet Dalman and their website should be the go to place for an informed assessment of any new financial developments at the club. However, although I don't agree with this myself, it seems that Cardiff City's Trust becomes more of a success, in membership terms at least, when there is some sort of crisis at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Perhaps there lies the answer: generally speaking, the people who wanted fan representation/the club to care about the fans couldn't fully stomach the rebrand and the people who could stomach it were more interested in giving an owner free reign as long as it meant success. The Trust was doing good things before, the Fred Keenor statue being a big success, and is doing good things now, just on a smaller scale.

Whether you agree with Corbyn or not, he seems to come out with a thousand new policies every quarter. Which ones is he actually going to pursue if/when he gets into government?
    This was in their 2017 manifesto

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    This was in their 2017 manifesto
    Have you seen NUFC's response to his use of them for a political stunt?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...eader-17053445

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

I do enjoy it when club owners throw their toys out of the pram

How will Labour recover from such an announcement from much loved businessman Mike Ashley?

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I do enjoy it when club owners throw their toys out of the pram

How will Labour recover from such an announcement from much loved businessman Mike Ashley?
    I think at the moment he has more pressing problems closer to home that worrying about Mr Ashley. It seems another of his 'close associates' has been abruptly sidelined. Apparently he Has no confidence in her. Quite sudden that.
    I have no idea what's going on in the inner circle but one thing I read suggested it is all tied up with the business of trying to oust his deputy.
    Not a good time politically for infighting or upheaval really.

My experiences while working to get the Trust set up, serving on its board and helping to get the Fred Keenor statue built were soul-destroying. Most City fans were totally indifferent to the idea of an organisation that represented the fans, while a surprisingly significant percentage were openly hostile. The number of supporters that were enthusiastic about the Trust was small. There were some really great people among that number, but their support didn’t compensate for the disdain, abuse and threats of violence that came from a variety of sources at regular intervals.

Many football fans, at least in this city, seem happier to criticise the efforts of others than either make any effort themselves or support those who are attempting to do something positive. Working with the Trust was a sobering experience and anyone who attempts to do so in future has my sympathy, as it’s a genuinely thankless task.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    My experiences while working to get the Trust set up, serving on its board and helping to get the Fred Keenor statue built were soul-destroying. Most City fans were totally indifferent to the idea of an organisation that represented the fans, while a surprisingly significant percentage were openly hostile. The number of supporters that were enthusiastic about the Trust was small. There were some really great people among that number, but their support didn’t compensate for the disdain, abuse and threats of violence that came from a variety of sources at regular intervals.

Many football fans, at least in this city, seem happier to criticise the efforts of others than either make any effort themselves or support those who are attempting to do something positive. Working with the Trust was a sobering experience and anyone who attempts to do so in future has my sympathy, as it’s a genuinely thankless task.
    I made some good friends during the trust days but sadly when things really mattered events showed what a bunch of spineless tarts and intimidatory thugs a significant minority of our support was

Hats off to those who continue to fly the flag

Feck me there are some far right knuckledraggers on that Newcastle newspaper forum

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

I'm sure it will bring JC his dream of takinmg Newcastle .

In relation to his own club why his he not more vocal there ,unless he is a Spurs fan now ?

Arsenal Holdings plc wholly owns twelve subsidiary companies, covering the group's activities.
    These include Arsenal Football Club plc (the football club itself), Arsenal (Emirates Stadium) Limited (which develops and owns Arsenal's Emirates Stadium), Arsenal Stadium Management Company (which manages the stadium on matchdays), and Arsenal Overseas Ltd (which manages retail operations). Other subsidiaries deal with property development on the site of Arsenal's former stadium at Highbury and the associated property holding and financing.

I hate the Tories with a passion, but a lot of people will vote for them in a one-off election if it gets the UK out of Europe. BTW, isn't Corbyn promoting something similar to what happens in Germany regarding fan input?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It would be interesting to see if he knows what left wing means.
    Isn't that where Daniel James plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I hate the Tories with a passion, but a lot of people will vote for them in a one-off election if it gets the UK out of Europe. BTW, isn't Corbyn promoting something similar to what happens in Germany regarding fan input?
    Why do you hate the tories?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    C’mon now the internet wouldn’t be able to cope with the list of reasons

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    I have never agreed with the majority of their policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The left aren't all that great either. The problem is that the true centre ground was co-opted by the LabCons a long time ago. They don't respect their constituents, and have even been known to work against their best interests. Voting red or blue every 5 years is futile, and the slate needs to be wiped the clean with new parties being formed at the grass roots level. Until that happens nothing is going to change, and we will continue to be governed by special interest groups. Of course if we stay in the EU all of this will become a mute point, as we will be under eternal authoritarian rule.
    I was interested in your last paragraph as a few of my fellow members see the EU as a capitalist plot. I think my namesake, in his heart, thinks so too.
    I don't as I see the EU as protection against the neocons who are attempting to turn the UK into an offshore tax haven where the rich get richer and the poor poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I was interested in your last paragraph as a few of my fellow members see the EU as a capitalist plot. I think my namesake, in his heart, thinks so too.
    I don't as I see the EU as protection against the neocons who are attempting to turn the UK into an offshore tax haven where the rich get richer and the poor poorer.
    We are currently somewhere between a rock and a hard place, and until people unite over common interests we will always be easy pickings.

People really need to stop using the “you’re ruining the board” line.

It’s tiresome and not true in most of the cases it’s used.

Most people don’t give a **** for many arguments on here, I find the majority of spats in here either funny or embarrassing, ether way entertaining.

“yoUrE rUinInG thE boaRd” nah.