+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Players you rated but seemed to divide opinion?

Re: Players you rated but seemed to divide opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We got promoted when Mcphail was axed and Gunner and Whitts put in the middle??
    Not strictly true. Malky was a fan of McPhail and saw him as a lynchpin of a 3 man midfield but injury saw McPhail never play for us again.

Going back a bit....Gary Stevens and Ronnie Moore.

Could someone explain the hatred directed towards Richard Langley? I’ve never known such venom to be aimed at any player from his team’s supporters. As far as I know he was deemed to be lazy. I felt really sorry for him.

Jason Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Going back a bit....Gary Stevens and Ronnie Moore.
    I was just about to add Gary Stevens and noticed you had beat me to it.

Derek Showers another. Was back up to Adrian Alston but his 2 goals at Charlton on the first day of the 1976 season is one of my favourite memories watching City.

Alan Knill

Eddie May signed him on loan in 1993 as he was good in the air

Legendary kit man Harry Parsons disagreed 'Douglas Bader was good in the air too but he was a sh1t footballer just like Knill'

I really hope this tale is true as Knill was sh1t

Other players who we have fond memories of but really weren't that good
    Jason Perry
    Nicky Richardson
    Steve Lynex
    I always liked Steve White but he wasn't much cop in reality.

I am one of those who is on the 'wrong' side of the McPhail divide, clever player good technical ability but he has been so over hyped since he stopped playing for us. Yes he was a good championship midfielder but I have seen some people say (on here) he is the best player they have seen at Cardiff and have even seen some put him into Cardiff all-time-X11 teams, I think that's a joke but football is all about opinions I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Alan Knill

Legendary kit man Harry Parsons disagreed 'Douglas Bader was good in the air too but he was a sh1t footballer just like Knill'

I really hope this tale is true as Knill was sh1t.
    Although, didn't Alan Knill win one cap for Wales against the Netherlands and played Marco Van Basten out of the game ?

And I would just like to re-illiterate Aron Gunners,

I find the CDM position a funny one, some people are just blind to the value of those players, but the amount of un-seen work they do that allows others to play good football is huge. Like your Kevin Nolan's and Scot Parker's. Everyone says what do they do? they do not score regular, passing is limited and not graced with technical ability or skill.. yet the team wins when they play and falls apart when they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Alan Knill

I really hope this tale is true as Knill was sh1t

Other players who we have fond memories of but really weren't that good
    Jason Perry
    Nicky Richardson
    Steve Lynex
    I always liked Steve White but he wasn't much cop in reality.
    Perry and Richardson did good jobs for us.

Steve Lynex was absolutely useless. I doubt anyone who saw him play for us would say anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

I find the CDM position a funny one, some people are just blind to the value of those players, but the amount of un-seen work they do that allows others to play good football is huge. Like your Kevin Nolan's and Scot Parker's. Everyone says what do they do? they do not score regular, passing is limited and not graced with technical ability or skill.. yet the team wins when they play and falls apart when they do not.
    Kevin Nolan scored more than his fair share of goals.

I always thought Steve Williams was a better keeper than Dave Williams in the early 90s

QUOTE=chris lee;5011202]And I would just like to re-illiterate Aron Gunners,

[/QUOTE]
    Bit of a slur on the Icelandic education system:

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Although, didn't Alan Knill win one cap for Wales against the Netherlands and played Marco Van Basten out of the game ?
    Considering his limited abilities, Knill has had an impressive career. 564 Football League appearances with Halifax, Swansea, Bury, Cardiff, Rotherham and Scunny, then manager at Rotherham, Scunny, Bury and Torquay, and currently a Premier League assistant manager at Sheffield United.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Considering his limited abilities, Knill has had an impressive career. 564 Football League appearances with Halifax, Swansea, Bury, Cardiff, Rotherham and Scunny, then manager at Rotherham, Scunny, Bury and Torquay, and currently a Premier League assistant manager at Sheffield United.
    My god that's woken me up

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Could someone explain the hatred directed towards Richard Langley? I’ve never known such venom to be aimed at any player from his team’s supporters. As far as I know he was deemed to be lazy. I felt really sorry for him.
    I was enjoying reading this post and wasn't really thinking about posting until I read this! Why did he get such abuse. I really rated him and yet I know many didn't and he got dogs abuse. We were away from home somewhere - can't remember where - and his missus / girlfriend were sitting near us and the level of slagging off was embarrassing. But genuinely thought he was a gifted player. As for whitts, utter legend.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

Kevin Nolan wasn’t a DM?? Scored loads of goals.

Parker’s technical and passing ability was far from limited.

What a bizarre couple of examples to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    I always thought Steve Williams was a better keeper than Dave Williams in the early 90s
    Arguing over which was the better of the two Williams keepers is akin to two bald blokes arguing over a comb.

Darcy Blake. he used to get some flak yet at times he could have some immense moments.

John Toshack. Even when he was banging in goals for fun and unplayable in the air from crosses, many fans didn't rate him because he was so gangly and not as physical as Brian Clark. The fact that his ball control was good and he seldom wasted a pass was lost on many fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    John Toshack. Even when he was banging in goals for fun and unplayable in the air from crosses, many fans didn't rate him because he was so gangly and not as physical as Brian Clark. The fact that his ball control was good and he seldom wasted a pass was lost on many fans.
    Very true, Tosh used to get a lot of stick, crazy looking back, he was undeniably class, as he showed in his subsequent career.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Darcy Blake. he used to get some flak yet at times he could have some immense moments.

Had a great game at Wembley marking Rooney.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Craig Conway
    Paul Brayson
    Kevin Evans
    Craig Bryson
    Jimmy Gardner
    Jason Fowler
    I always thought at Jason Fowler was a really good player and never understood why he didn’t go on and play at a higher level 🤔

John Lewis and Linden Jones.

I always really liked both of them, for different reasons, only for them to leave the club in the most complex swap deal in the history of football :-(

Ken Zohore