+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK ticket wins tonight's record £169m Euromillions rollover jackpot

UK ticket wins tonight's record £169m Euromillions rollover jackpot

What would be the first thing you'd do with that lot?

Being an untrusting soul I'd count it. Then when I completed doing so, in around February or March 2023, I'd recheck.

Euromillions: UK player wins massive £169m jackpot after matching all winning numbers - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-wins-20540849

Re: UK ticket wins tonight's record £169m Euromillions rollover jackpot

The text hasn't arrived from our syndicate leader, so it's the daily grind as usual and for a lovely start to the day, its pissing down with rain. Bluddy climate change. Never had this type of rain in October be4.

I'd invest most of it into different markets, currencies, houses and precious metals in order to ride out any form of recession. After that I'd buy sludge some proper clothes, get the seats changed to blue and bring Bale home for the rest of the season.

I need a new shed as my current one may not get through the winter, so I'd probably sort that out first.

I'd have a big party and get absolutely p1ssed to celebrate, then I'd probably just blow the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    I'd invest most of it into different markets, currencies, houses and precious metals in order to ride out any form of recession. After that I'd buy sludge some proper clothes, get the seats changed to blue and bring Bale home for the rest of the season.
    How big are you expecting the recession to be?!

It's probably a curse winning that much. The dynamics of relationships with friends and family are bound to change it would be easy to become rootless and aimless.

International

I'd spend some of it on fine drink and food, women and beautiful cars, .................... and I'd squander the rest on frivolities like a house and clothes and paying the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'd spend some of it on fine drink and food, women and beautiful cars, .................... and I'd squander the rest on frivolities like a house and clothes and paying the bills.
    I admire you for not limiting your choice in women, but do so with 'fine' food and drink, and 'beautiful' cars.

Not too fussy are you😀

I’d be straight down the post office to buy a book of stamps to send off my next batch of begging letters.

As Homer said i will buy all the money in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's probably a curse winning that much. The dynamics of relationships with friends and family are bound to change it would be easy to become rootless and aimless.
    I think £1m would be a bit of a challenger. Depending on age there is a definite question as to whether you carry on working, but frankly without the threat of a mortgage over my head I'm not sure I could really bring myself to work hard enough.

£170m would be a piece of piss. I'd never work again. If any of my close friends wanted to do the same I'd consider sorting that too. I actually think that without the distraction of spending most of my life earning money to live comfortably I could actually focus my efforts on a real purpose. I'd probably go back to study and get healthy, and spend more time with my kid. It would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    What would be the first thing you'd do with that lot?

Being an untrusting soul I'd count it. Then when I completed doing so, in around February or March 2023, I'd recheck.

Euromillions: UK player wins massive £169m jackpot after matching all winning numbers - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-wins-20540849

I'd put it all on black.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I think £1m would be a bit of a challenger. Depending on age there is a definite question as to whether you carry on working, but frankly without the threat of a mortgage over my head I'm not sure I could really bring myself to work hard enough.

£170m would be a piece of piss. I'd never work again. If any of my close friends wanted to do the same I'd consider sorting that too. I actually think that without the distraction of spending most of my life earning money to live comfortably I could actually focus my efforts on a real purpose. I'd probably go back to study and get healthy, and spend more time with my kid. It would be awesome.
    I am in the £170m is way to much money for 1 person camp.

I would rather 170 winners of 1m each.

And 1 Millions should easily be enough for a person, a family member of mine has 4 student houses in Cardiff aprox value £200k each

800pcm each house. thats around £38k income a year without really having to work.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

And 1 Millions should easily be enough for a person, a family member of mine has 4 student houses in Cardiff aprox value £200k each

800pcm each house. thats around £38k income a year without really having to work.
    I agree that it's too much for one person, but I'd rather see 10 prizes of £17m as that would still be a life-changing sum of money. I guess someone who has £17m could correct me, but I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with £170m that, lifestyle-wise, I couldn't do with £17m. Clearly both sums give you enough to never work again and live in considerable comfort, and have properties in your favourite places. I guess the properties are bigger and there are more of them at £170m than at £17m and if you really wanted a large house in Kensington then £170m would get you one whereas £17m wouldn't, but in terms of lifestyle they are both amounts that, sat here as a pleb, would allow me to do whatever I wanted.

As regards £1m - I don't think it is enough to live without working. I wouldn't turn my nose up at it and I am sure such a huge sum would change our lives in many respects, but I could not afford to retire which is really the whole point of winning the lottery to me. I'm in my 30s - I'd need half of it to pay off the mortgage, and the amount left over would not generate enough money to pay the bills. I suspect we would move to a bigger house and one of us would give up work, but one of us would still need to earn for another 20 years or so.

I suppose that’s why there’s single multi million pound winners rather than multi one million pound winners. 170 millionaires created overnight would result in 170 notices being handed in this morning. If this was the scenario instead of huge rollovers there’d be winners jacking in work left, right & centre, not good for industry I s’pose.

The crazy thing about these big prizes...
    remember when our national lottery was once a week, prize about £12M, people went mad for rollovers, as if the £12M wasn't enough...
    Then it went twice a week, prizes combined to abot £8-9M,and suddenly, seemingly, it wasn't enough for people to bother playing!

I'd give a lot of it too home based charities , especially children ones.

I don't think £1M is enough for many people to be able to retire on. To a couple, both working with a mortgage, cars, kids, college to think about etc. a million would come in handy but you certainly couldn't retire on it.

Yeah, the overwhelming priority would be to ensure never becoming skint again, absent of a Mad Max-type world, by transferring the majority of cash away from the danger of hyperinflation to what can't be printed at all - never mind to infinity - with the purchase of land, property, fine art and similar hedges.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I agree. Most friends would quickly become past tense ones through peer pressure because their other friends would suggest they're toadying. Acquaintances, also riven with jealousy, say at the local pub would be negative at every turn: buy drinks all round; showing off. Don't buy them all round; mean miserable sod. Family members would expect to be gifted a share of the windfall. Slight one or more of them would also result in bitterness. Hand perhaps a sprog or two too much and it could easily go to their heads and they'd become directionless wasters consumed with a hedonistic lifestyle.

Then there's a real prospect of paranoia setting in surrounding personal safety. That too big property would require high walls and being plastered with CCTV cameras for fear of tie-up burglars paying a visit who'd assume there's a safe hidden somewhere filled with valuable goodies.

I agree. Most friends would quickly become past tense ones through peer pressure because their other friends would suggest they're toadying. Acquaintances, also riven with jealousy, say at the local pub would be negative at every turn: buy drinks all round; showing off. Don't buy them all round; mean miserable sod. Family members would expect to be gifted a share of the windfall. Slight one or more of them would also result in bitterness. Hand perhaps a sprog or two too much and it could easily go to their heads and they'd become directionless wasters consumed with a hedonistic lifestyle.

Then there's a real prospect of paranoia setting in surrounding personal safety. That too big property would require high walls and being plastered with CCTV cameras for fear of tie-up burglars paying a visit who'd assume there's a safe hidden somewhere filled with valuable goodies.
    That's how I see it as well.

I'm not sure why I spend quite so long planning for winning the lottery when I almost never play, but surely everything in that first para could be managed through speaking to your mates? "I've won a stack of cash - what do you want me to do? Pay off your mortgage? Let you use the holiday home in [x] for 2 weeks a year? Pay for your kids to go through Uni? Pick up the tab at the pub? Give you a £100k lump sum? None of the above and carry on as normal?" It's a conversation I've already had with my mates (they instigated it!) and one I would definitely have again if I won a f**k off sum like £170m. Not really the case at £1m - at that amount we all agree that we'd probably upgrade the house (and in one case the wife) but otherwise carry on as normal.

Security: surely that issue exists for whomever lives in that too big house, by virtue of the fact that they can afford to live in a too big house. And the alternative is what? Staying in a normal house with normal security and trying to go under the radar? THat seems even riskier.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How big are you expecting the recession to be?!
    That's what I thought, I think he'd be ok with £170 million

in order to ride out any form of recession. .
    Blimey. We have a pessimist in our ranks. He must be a true Cardiff City supporter.