+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you take Kevin Blackwell as boss?

Would you take Kevin Blackwell as boss?

Took Leeds and Sheffield United to play off finals and did a decent job at Bury and Luton given the rubbish states the clubs were in at that time.

This is still the closest Leeds have come to getting back to the big time since being relegated from the top flight and was the closest Sheff United had come until last season.

It would also keep a sense of continuity while playing a better brand of football. He would also have some knowledge of working with Tan too.

Given the current board at the club could Blackwell be a decent appointment without rocking the boat too much? He is also a man who has worked with the squad too so would know exactly what he would want to do with it and who he would want to keep and get rid of.

Re: Would you take Kevin Blackwell as boss?

No.

Id prefer him to Mark Hughes though.

No. Not done anything in a decade managerial wise. Putting the Leeds job into context, he was in charge following their relegation. Stabilised them, got them to the playoffs, then had a disastrous start to the following season.

With both Leeds and Sheff Utd, after they had lost playoff finals, he had poor starts to the following season.

There's probably a few reasons why he's been an assistant rather than manager since 2010.

Too old school. We need fresh ideas, more modern thinking.

God no.

Not a chance

Spade and Warnock have done jobs in their own way, Slade cut the wage bill and Warnock brought the club together.

When Neil finally leaves he deserves a big thank you for some of the work he’s done, but as a club we need to cut ties and that means his staff move on as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Spade and Warnock have done jobs in their own way, Slade cut the wage bill and Warnock brought the club together.

When Neil finally leaves he deserves a big thank you for some of the work he’s done, but as a club we need to cut ties and that means his staff move on as well!!
    Yes. Absolutely. 100%. Agreed. Spot on. Top post. Deffo.

I don't trust Tan and co to get the next appointment right.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Theres a lot of criticism of Tan and co over appointments maybe rightly so. But 2 so far have got us to the PL.

Will they make the right choice next time up. Probably not.😂

Modern thinking says that you don't rule out anyone and instead look at what they can bring to your club and if it fits in with the medium to long term thinking (can you tell what thread I have just come from? ), but I am finding it difficult to see how Blackwell represents a step up from what we have now.

That would be a sideways or even backwards move.
    We need to be a lot braver than that.

We need a change. Our brand is terrible. If we somehow managed to get promoted this season, next season would probably be worst than last. It's time to play a bit of football.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept with a similar set up to Warnock to be honest as our academy is not up to standard and to overhaul so many kick and chase players would require a massive change

I'd actually like to have Chris Houghton here. For sincerity sakes, I did say that when his name was being bandied about as a manager (before or after Malky? I can't remember).

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I'd actually like to have Chris Houghton here. For sincerity sakes, I did say that when his name was being bandied about as a manager (before or after Malky? I can't remember).
    So we then would also see trollope , no,no,no

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    That's half of my thinking with suggesting him as a possible replacement. In many ways better the devil you know and somebody who has some kind of working relationship with Tan already.

I'm thinking that Tan will hit us with a Trollope or a Slade (although the latter did better than many give him credit for while all was being sold from under him).

I fear their football knowledge or lack of it when picking a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I didn't really watch much of Brighton really.

What was his brand of football like?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I didn't really watch much of Brighton really.

What was his brand of football like?
    Appalling, but it gets results in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Appalling, but it gets results in this league.
    Sounds familiar...

The next appointment is really difficult. if Neil does go he would be a hard act to follow.Whoever it is has to be able to attract players to the club and be able to operate in the transfer market.What bothers me is that we dont see players coming through our academy.Swansea seem able to do it so why are we not doing the same. so apart from a new manager[ when the time arrives] i think we should be looking at our development system and ask is it fit for purpose right now.I want have it that Swansea youngsters are any better than ours.So whats going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    The next appointment is really difficult. if Neil does go he would be a hard act to follow.Whoever it is has to be able to attract players to the club and be able to operate in the transfer market.What bothers me is that we dont see players coming through our academy.Swansea seem able to do it so why are we not doing the same. so apart from a new manager[ when the time arrives] i think we should be looking at our development system and ask is it fit for purpose right now.I want have it that Swansea youngsters are any better than ours.So whats going wrong.
    Entirely agree.
    In modern football you either over spend by millions or have a solid development strategy behind you.
    We do neither. Blackwell would continue the tradition of outdated football.
    Yes Tan & Co may make a dodgy decision, but they need to speculate and try to change the club.

Let’s go for Phil Brown. He got a promotion to the PL around a decade ago.

Or what about John Gregory? He was an ok manager 20 years ago.

Hell No!

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    It's a guess this but it suggests that their academy and scouting network are better and more professional than ours, i.e that it's not that Cardiff kids aren't as good but that Swansea are hoovering up the best of the South Wales talent

I've always thought he was the natural successor when Warnock was taken on.