+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: R.I.P Barrie Masters (Eddie and the Hot Rods)

R.I.P Barrie Masters (Eddie and the Hot Rods)

Another one from my youth bites the dust. R.I.P Barrie

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...sters-obituary

First saw the band in September '76 at Cardiff University when they were touted by the music press as a 'punk' band. They weren't really. They were a souped up R&B (that's proper 60s R&B, not the modern chavvie stuff) and were excellent live. Caught them live several times after this, and they put on anything less than a great live show!

Why that gig sticks in my mind, as well as the excellent set the band delivered, it was the first time I had seen punks at a gig and on the streets of Cardiff.

Re: R.I.P Barrie Masters (Eddie and the Hot Rods)

Oh no

The fella was a legend, and he helped shake up the music business for the better... RIP Barrie & thanks for one of the greatest songs ever.

Lyrics were brilliant - If Lennon or Gallagher had written that it would have been called a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Lyrics were brilliant - If Lennon or Gallagher had written that it would have been called a classic.
    It is a classic!

Saw Eddie and the Hotrods supporting Stiff Little Fingers the night after we beat West Ham at home last season.

All in all a great day/night but he did look very old and quite a few commented on it.

I remember seeing them at the Top Rank supported by both Radio Stars and Squeeze. They were great. And we saw their farewell tour a few months ago at the Exchange in Bristol. Another great night although the sound let them down. Barrie was a great frontman.

Tried to be The Who with a yank accent.
    R I P

Saw them a few months ago supporting Stiff Little Fingers. Both bands were great. Eddie and the Hot Rods were billing their part in the tour as 'Done Everything We Wanna Do'

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Saw them a few months ago supporting Stiff Little Fingers. Both bands were great. Eddie and the Hot Rods were billing their part in the tour as 'Done Everything We Wanna Do'
    And me saw them in the Uni , I enjoyed them more than SLF , he was great Paul Grey came on stage as well to sing ' do what you wanna do' I bought a tour tee and went home with a big smile.

RIP Barrie. (Do what you wanna do ) up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Another one from my youth bites the dust. R.I.P Barrie

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...sters-obituary

First saw the band in September '76 at Cardiff University when they were touted by the music press as a 'punk' band. They weren't really. They were a souped up R&B (that's proper 60s R&B, not the modern chavvie stuff) and were excellent live. Caught them live several times after this, and they put on anything less than a great live show!

Why that gig sticks in my mind, as well as the excellent set the band delivered, it was the first time I had seen punks at a gig and on the streets of Cardiff.
    That's right, Eddie and The Hot Rods weren't really a punk band. They emerged from the pub rock scene of the mid-seventies playing fast high energy R&B but attracted a younger audience than many of the other pub rock bands, so initially they were loosely labelled punk. Once punk was launched into the public after the Bill Grundy incident they were considered to be outside of this genre.

RIP Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Johnny View Post
    That's right, Eddie and The Hot Rods weren't really a punk band. They emerged from the pub rock scene of the mid-seventies playing fast high energy R&B but attracted a younger audience than many of the other pub rock bands, so initially they were loosely labelled punk. Once punk was launched into the public after the Bill Grundy incident they were considered to be outside of this genre.

RIP Barrie
    They along with the Feelgoods, I think if you had attitude you were accepted onto the punk circuit , Larry Wallis and Wreckless Eric were more R&B than punk , and supported punk bands , lets be fair its a all derivative of R&B

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And me saw them in the Uni , I enjoyed them more than SLF , he was great Paul Grey came on stage as well to sing ' do what you wanna do' I bought a tour tee and went home with a big smile.

You sound just like me. That was the gig I was at and I bought a t shirt as well.

I saw them a few years ago in Barfly, but thought they were better this time.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

STF tore the arse out of the pub ! cant remember which one but upstairs at the top off St mary's street

the bluebell?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    You sound just like me. That was the gig I was at and I bought a t shirt as well.

I saw them a few years ago in Barfly, but thought they were better this time.
    No better tribute then to Barrie, we saw him deliver , before he left the stage forevever .