+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 1 CROATIA. Match thread

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 1 CROATIA. Match thread

Decent performances the last two.

As an aside, people moan about Warnock's style of play but jesus I'm glad we get the ball forward quickly and don't waste time passing it around the back four needlessly. Yesterday was painful at times with Rodon, Lockyer and Hennessey passing it between themselves whilst Croatia stood off. The fans really got fed up 2 mins before the goal and were urging them forward.

I've thought it's weird reading Swansea fans frustrated with Cooper etc when top of the league (or thereabouts) after a home draw with Reading and a defeat to Stoke but I can see why if that's the type of football they play. It's bloody boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Decent performances the last two.

As an aside, people moan about Warnock's style of play but jesus I'm glad we get the ball forward quickly and don't waste time passing it around the back four needlessly. Yesterday was painful at times with Rodon, Lockyer and Hennessey passing it between themselves whilst Croatia stood off. The fans really got fed up 2 mins before the goal and were urging them forward.

I've thought it's weird reading Swansea fans frustrated with Cooper etc when top of the league (or thereabouts) after a home draw with Reading and a defeat to Stoke but I can see why if that's the type of football they play. It's bloody boring.
    The amount of times we had a player making a run and it was preferred to pass it sideways really got under my skin last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We were very slow to realise the importance of the game

Uh?

Do you think half way through the first half one of the players suddenly worked out that this was an important match to win if we want to qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Uh?

Do you think half way through the first half one of the players suddenly worked out that this was an important match to win if we want to qualify?
    Yes I do, because they weren't at the races for the first 15 minutes. You don't just not turn up for a game of this magnitude. Maybe the Giggs team talk sent them to sleep before the game instead of getting them fired up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I was at the game last night and so haven’t seen any replays yet but, were either of those challenges on firstly Dan James and then Ampadu, that resulted in lengthy medical treatment for head injuries, punished with yellow cards?

I not one for claiming that ref’s are ever biased but there were other very hefty tackles from the Croatians, especially in the second half, that might well have attracted yellow cards, whereas he seemed to be booking Wales players for pretty innocuous looking fouls. I recall Modric getting one for clattering Harry Wilson....

Very odd.
    Both Croatian players were shown cards. I thought the Ampadu foul, although OTT, was very clever as it stopped any second half momentum.

We did start poorly but following Hennessy’s early save I can’t think of another save he had to make. The last two performances have been fine. We now need a bit of luck with injuries over the next few weeks.

Our goal from a different angle:

^^^^ this video reminds me of the footage in the new Diego Maradona documentary, do you think somebody borrowed the idea? It does show how good Bale really is though, it's a fantastic first touch and finish, and he was showing Ben Davies exactly where he wanted the ball played.

^^^^ this video reminds me of the footage in the new Diego Maradona documentary, do you think somebody borrowed the idea? It does show how good Bale really is though, it's a fantastic first touch and finish, and he was showing Ben Davies exactly where he wanted the ball played.
    You mean the idea that someone got their phone out, pointed it at Bale and pressed 'record' on their camera?

BTW agree it was a top finish

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You mean the idea that someone got their phone out, pointed it at Bale and pressed 'record' on their camera?

BTW agree it was a top finish
    You reckon that was filmed by a random person on their mobile? The panning, zooming and autofocus was perfect. There is also no shaky vertical movement either, it seems like the camera was on a tripod..

He was actually moving to close down their attacking full back who had just gone past a number of our players and was bearing down on goal. A lot of the players were out of position by that point, so I would say it was a group effort. We were very slow to realise the importance of the game, and the players seemed to be overawed during the first 15 minutes or so.
    He was at fault for the goal. There were twp players out there already, all he had to do is stand on the goalscorer and it would never have happened. Ampadu had absolutely no business in moving towards the ball. That was poor.

You reckon that was filmed by a random person on their mobile? The panning, zooming and autofocus was perfect. There is also no shaky vertical movement either, it seems like the camera was on a tripod..
    Actually upon inspection it seems that you could well be right about not being from a MB phone.

However, I doubt that anybody borrowed that idea from the Diego Maradonna documentary you mention.
    Admittedly I have not seen this but I have seen much older films using the similar techniques of panning, zooming and focusing that you describe to dramatize events, a documentary on England's 1966 world cup final springs to mind.

Of course the technology was in no way what it is today but the older footage seems to add to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He was at fault for the goal. There were twp players out there already, all he had to do is stand on the goalscorer and it would never have happened. Ampadu had absolutely no business in moving towards the ball. That was poor.
    Their Full-Back had already skinned one of them, and if he beat the other he was 1-on-1 with the keeper and it's a goal. Allen was miles behind play and unable to defend his designated zone, hence Ampadu moved across to close down the ball and player. Our CH was stuck on the edge of the 6 yard box when he should have been moving forward towards their attacker, so that's two players who were already out of position who never did their job. BTW it's the defensive mids responsibility to close down the player with the ball, and it's the CH's who pick up the strikers.

Actually upon inspection it seems that you could well be right about not being from a MB phone.

However, I doubt that anybody borrowed that idea from the Diego Maradonna documentary you mention.
    Admittedly I have not seen this but I have seen much older films using the similar techniques of panning, zooming and focusing that you describe to dramatize events, a documentary on England's 1966 world cup final springs to mind.

Of course the technology was in no way what it is today but the older footage seems to add to the experience.
    I reckon it could have been done by the people from the FAW who shoot all their videos. TBH if I had seen the Maradona film it's the first thing I would try to emulate, as it's incidental to the main TV camera footage and perfect for Twitter, Facebook & Instagram, etc..

I think this is the aforementioned footage.
    Perhaps you would care to could critique my view WB.

https://youtu.be/PXb306p1BrM

I am ashamed to say that I quite enjoyed it when I saw it

I think this is the aforementioned footage.
    Perhaps you would care to could critique my view WB.

https://youtu.be/PXb306p1BrM

I am ashamed to say that I quite enjoyed it when I saw it
    In those days they filmed it for the cinema and posterity, as they only had black & white TV back then. It's also in tradition of Pathe News which was more of a documentary style. I think it's great, and Maradona actually had his own film crew who captured his on and off field moments.

Their Full-Back had already skinned one of them, and if he beat the other he was 1-on-1 with the keeper and it's a goal. Allen was miles behind play and unable to defend his designated zone, hence Ampadu moved across to close down the ball and player. Our CH was stuck on the edge of the 6 yard box when he should have been moving forward towards their attacker, so that's two players who were already out of position who never did their job. BTW it's the defensive mids responsibility to close down the player with the ball, and it's the CH's who pick up the strikers.
    The centre half defends the six yard line because Ampadu had assumed the position in front of him, he then decides to **** off and leave a player completely free without calling out the Central defender. What would be better, a wide player with a fullback and goalkeeper to beat in a tight area or a player completely unmarked on the 18 yard line begging to be put in? Allen is to blame as well, they were both daydreaming for the Slovakia goal as well. As for who goes to close down isn't a science, it doesn't matter when a team is in that position, as long as there's communication and awareness (there was none) then it isn't a problem.

Ampadu needs to play because to me he doesn't look great when he gets turned or is facing his own goal, a delight with the ball and space infront of him. He needs experience.

That was all after Johnnie Williams had given the ball away in the centre of the pitch, yet we continue to sing a song claiming he doesn't do that sort if thing.

Heisenberg

Ampadu.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

If Ampadu keeps his position in the first screenshot instead of getting needlessly attracted the the ball/man, he may have prevented the goal by giving Petkovic no space to lay it off for Vlasic (in yellow) to shoot.

Allen, Rodon and Lockyer are all putting the winger, Brekalo, under pressure and if he had scored on his own from there then it would have been something special. Instead, his pass to Petkovic takes Ampadu completely out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If Ampadu keeps his position in the first screenshot instead of getting needlessly attracted the the ball/man, he may have prevented the goal by giving Petkovic no space to lay it off for Vlasic (in yellow) to shoot.

Allen, Rodon and Lockyer are all putting the winger, Brekalo, under pressure and if he had scored on his own from there then it would have been something special. Instead, his pass to Petkovic takes Ampadu completely out of the game.
    He's got to close down the player with the ball IMO, cos it's 1 v 1 and their FB had the option to beat his man on either side if the space isn't minimized. The CH should have stepped up and moved closer to player on the edge of the box when he saw Ampadu moving across towards the ball. We don't have a lot of experience in a number of positions, and the counterattack was fairly rapid, so hopefully they will learn from it.

Allen should have also angled his run towards those central players, instead of chasing 10 yards behind their full-back Benny Hill style.

He's got to close down the player with the ball IMO, cos it's 1 v 1 and their FB had the option to beat his man on either side if the space isn't minimized. The CH should have stepped up and moved closer to player on the edge of the box when he saw Ampadu moving across towards the ball. We don't have a lot of experience in a number of positions, and the counterattack was fairly rapid, so hopefully they will learn from it.
    The centre back is spare, fullback tucked in , all right. Ampadu decided to just do what he thought was best, he shouldn't have. He'll learn.

Allen should have also angled his run towards those central players, instead of chasing 10 yards behind their full-back Benny Hill style.
    Allen is also in a poor position, you could throw a tea cloth over the four of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    That was all after Johnnie Williams had given the ball away in the centre of the pitch, yet we continue to sing a song claiming he doesn't do that sort if thing.
    I've got some bad news for you about our greatest team in football song

The centre back is spare, fullback tucked in , all right. Ampadu decided to just do what he thought was best, he shouldn't have. He'll learn.
    The Full Back has just waltzed pass two Welsh players as though they weren't there, so there is no way Ampadu is going to leave him 1 v 1 in front of goal. Our CH never tried to minimize the distance between himself and the players in front of him, and he retreated as they advanced. Their FB was never getting past our defender and Ampadu, so the CH didn't need to take up that deep position. Like I said earlier it was a team effort that allowed the goal, so I wouldn't single out any one player. They need to work these things out on the training pitch.

BTW it was a very well worked goal and they knew what they were doing. They probably practice those moves a lot.