+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machine Repair

Re: Washing Machine Repair

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Just do it yourself. It'll take you three minutes.
    Open the little door and unscrew it till it comes free then clear out whatever crap is blocking it and screw it back in.

The trick is to put a load of preferably dirty laundry on the floor to absorb the water which will piss out when you take the tube out then bung it straight into the machine once it's working and wash it. Mop up the excess and there you go !

Don't pay some monkey £90 to do that ! If I was in Wales I'd come round and do it for you but it's completely easy
    Think your missing the point about his dodgy knees.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Think your missing the point about his dodgy knees.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't see that .

Come on then , someone go round and do it for him. I'm a long way away or I'd do it despite having a few age issues - come on guys , it'd take you five minutes and he's a Cardiff City supporter !

Where is "local" exactly? Is the OP located in the Cardiff area or Elwood, London? If it's the latter, then it might be a bit of a stab in the dark asking on here.

If only life on here was that simple.
    The OP was only asking if anyone knew a local domestic engineer Or handyman who would sort his problem out for a cash in hand hobble, or less than £99.
    You’d think that only someone who knew somebody who’d be interested would reply.
    No danger! You get pissed up goons advising him to get a new machine to Harry Enfield character “you don’t want to be doing that” to financial experts who give a fiscal breakdown of a call out.
    You gotta love it on here 😁
    Must cost people a fortune being so self righteous ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Where is "local" exactly? Is the OP located in the Cardiff area or Elwood, London? If it's the latter, then it might be a bit of a stab in the dark asking on here.
    Llanishen.

I am Elwood Blues after the Blues Brothers character

I have no advice to offer but at least I'm not upsetting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have no advice to offer but at least I'm not upsetting anyone.
    Yes, it’s awful someone can ask a question and get these types of responses off people.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes, it’s awful someone can ask a question and get these types of responses off people.
    Don't talk tosh, man

Don't talk tosh, man
    I thought you’d sense the sarcasm in my post.

I'm in birchgrove, i don't mind popping up after work to do it for you if I don't mind helping out a fellow city fan. Didn't realise that you had problems with your knees. Let me know, dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm in birchgrove, i don't mind popping up after work to do it for you if I don't mind helping out a fellow city fan. Didn't realise that you had problems with your knees. Let me know, dan.
    Wow. A City fan that does knee replacements on home visits.

Don't talk daft, who said that I was a city fan....

Wow. A City fan that does knee replacements on home visits.
    Are you going to help fix Elwoods washing machine, or to lift the machine on top of the counter so that he can fix it himself without putting any unnecessary strain on his knees?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Are people always like this on here?

Correct, self employed Jeff will pay 20% tax, probably get away with minimum contribution to NI monthly and won’t have holiday pay but that’s WHY they earn at a higher rate.

There usually are people who can come round for a lot less than these big companies quote and STILL make a bit of money.

Is everyone ****ing perfect on here or what?
    The thing is, sometimes even the trademen themselves don't really get it.

We had a bedroom carpet fitted a few years ago. I used a local company who sent out a fitter. I paid the company for the carpet, and £35 to the two fitters who came to put it down, arranged by the company. The fitters did a decent job and were tidy so I asked them if they did private work. They did. I ordered carpet for hall stairs and landing. Including the supply of the rods he quoted £55 to fit. I asked him how long it would take to do the hall stairs and landing. It would take two of them half a day, at least. I questioned why the cost wasn't more. He just said that's what he gets paid by the carpet companies so that's what he charges for private work.

Absolutely bonkers. £55 for a day's work?! I paid him £120. Still saved me a fortune as I could get hold of carpet and decent underlay a lot cheaper online, and he gets to earn a fair fee. He did admit afterwards that he was just starting out on private work and hadn't really thought about pricing much, but when I got him back in to quote a few years later for something else he did remember me and said he'd upped his charging and was still busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

We had a bedroom carpet fitted a few years ago. I used a local company who sent out a fitter. I paid the company for the carpet, and £35 to the two fitters who came to put it down, arranged by the company. The fitters did a decent job and were tidy so I asked them if they did private work. They did. I ordered carpet for hall stairs and landing. Including the supply of the rods he quoted £55 to fit. I asked him how long it would take to do the hall stairs and landing. It would take two of them half a day, at least. I questioned why the cost wasn't more. He just said that's what he gets paid by the carpet companies so that's what he charges for private work.

Absolutely bonkers. £55 for a day's work?! I paid him £120. Still saved me a fortune as I could get hold of carpet and decent underlay a lot cheaper online, and he gets to earn a fair fee. He did admit afterwards that he was just starting out on private work and hadn't really thought about pricing much, but when I got him back in to quote a few years later for something else he did remember me and said he'd upped his charging and was still busy.
    You had me in the first half I won’t lie, until I read £120!

I can’t think of a decent example, but let’s say a self employed labourer gets 10/11 quid an hour, have a quick look on indeed and there are plenty of them jobs offering 8.50 which would now offer holiday pay (accrued monthly with the shit agency and minimal pension contributions)

The extra you get for being self employed IS the extra that workers get, which was why I originally started commenting yesterday I think god knows now.

At least there will be no shortage of messages regarding electrical advice......

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

that is the problem, people just starting out, they feel they have to price low to get work

I see it all the time, people starting out in whatever business, as people know i am a ex-carpenter / foreman / site agent who now earns maybe 60% of my income from window cleaning ( i still project manage building jobs for people )

2 recent examples

window cleaning, a company quote for a job to do, they ask the company how much i charge, Company boss decides to have a bit of a laugh, the job is £450, he tell them " £150 ", they come back to him with a £120 quote 120 quid, it takes me a day and a bit, maybe 10 hours, so this company are happy with £12 a hour, its just not enough, but could well have driven the price down so much that it wasnt worth doing

Building, someone i know has started out doing groundwork and landscape gardening, i had a job that needed a patio doing after a extension was built, guy says " if you buy the materials I will charge you day rates , now i was expecting £200 - £250 a day for him and his labourer, Nope £150 a day, i told him he needs to charge more, his response was " oh i used to earn £100 a day working for someone, so I am happy with that and £50 for the lad ", i then explained holiday pay, days when you cannot work, ill or rain, fuel and van costs, tool costs, the guy still invoiced me for £150 a day

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    that is the problem, people just starting out, they feel they have to price low to get work

I see it all the time, people starting out in whatever business, as people know i am a ex-carpenter / foreman / site agent who now earns maybe 60% of my income from window cleaning ( i still project manage building jobs for people )

2 recent examples

window cleaning, a company quote for a job to do, they ask the company how much i charge, Company boss decides to have a bit of a laugh, the job is £450, he tell them " £150 ", they come back to him with a £120 quote 120 quid, it takes me a day and a bit, maybe 10 hours, so this company are happy with £12 a hour, its just not enough, but could well have driven the price down so much that it wasnt worth doing

Building, someone i know has started out doing groundwork and landscape gardening, i had a job that needed a patio doing after a extension was built, guy says " if you buy the materials I will charge you day rates , now i was expecting £200 - £250 a day for him and his labourer, Nope £150 a day, i told him he needs to charge more, his response was " oh i used to earn £100 a day working for someone, so I am happy with that and £50 for the lad ", i then explained holiday pay, days when you cannot work, ill or rain, fuel and van costs, tool costs, the guy still invoiced me for £150 a day
    The lad on 50 probably signs on and gets cash.

No way can someone earn £250 (max) a week and be paying tax.

Also, as shit as it is 100 a day is 80 after tax and 400 a week on a 5 day week.

indeed, i bet you are right about the lad

but £400 isnt enough for a SE'ed person to earn a week imho, his fuel and van costs might cost him £50, then add tools and time off, its just not enough

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed, i bet you are right about the lad

but £400 isnt enough for a SE'ed person to earn a week imho, his fuel and van costs might cost him £50, then add tools and time off, its just not enough
    Fu*k sake. You’ll be grassing the lad up soon 😁

Where's Elwood in London then ?
    There's an Elwood Street in Islington I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Where's Elwood in London then ?
    There's an Elwood Street in Islington I think.
    You're right. I mistakenly thought it was a suburb of London. It isn't, it's a street, as you mentioned.

Don’t charge a bit more than expected or it’ll be you having trouble with your knees, trying to get up after an hour or two on them begging

Fu*k sake. You’ll be grassing the lad up soon ��
    honestly doesnt bother me, i can safely say i have worked with a few who worked cash in hand, i bet a few have worked on jobs i have been running

No drama for me with them