+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machine Repair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Washing Machine Repair

[QUOTE=Elwood Blues;5011808]I do have the knowledge, I do probably have(or did have the skills)but if you had bothered reading my response above I have problems getting down to the work due to my legs Oh and my hands are getting a bit stiff as well.

All I am trying to do is make my pension stretch a bit further by putting a bit of work in the way of a decent local tradesman

And perhaps I should have said cheaper rather than cheap.

When I have seen similar threads before usually people have provided a name some helpful advice

I get people who seem to think I am trying to fleece the working and should.think I should be grateful for paying a hundred quid for a 15 to 20 minute job with no parts needed.

That doesn't apply to all of you of course.[/QUOTE

You'll get no sympathy out of me, you used the 'C' word Good luck in finding someone to do your job.

Just do it yourself. It'll take you three minutes.
    Open the little door and unscrew it till it comes free then clear out whatever crap is blocking it and screw it back in.

The trick is to put a load of preferably dirty laundry on the floor to absorb the water which will piss out when you take the tube out then bung it straight into the machine once it's working and wash it. Mop up the excess and there you go !

Don't pay some monkey £90 to do that ! If I was in Wales I'd come round and do it for you but it's completely easy

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Just do it yourself. It'll take you three minutes.
    Open the little door and unscrew it till it comes free then clear out whatever crap is blocking it and screw it back in.

The trick is to put a load of preferably dirty laundry on the floor to absorb the water which will piss out when you take the tube out then bung it straight into the machine once it's working and wash it. Mop up the excess and there you go !

Don't pay some monkey £90 to do that ! If I was in Wales I'd come round and do it for you but it's completely easy
    Think your missing the point about his dodgy knees.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Think your missing the point about his dodgy knees.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't see that .

Come on then , someone go round and do it for him. I'm a long way away or I'd do it despite having a few age issues - come on guys , it'd take you five minutes and he's a Cardiff City supporter !

Where is "local" exactly? Is the OP located in the Cardiff area or Elwood, London? If it's the latter, then it might be a bit of a stab in the dark asking on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Where is "local" exactly? Is the OP located in the Cardiff area or Elwood, London? If it's the latter, then it might be a bit of a stab in the dark asking on here.
    At least there will be no shortage of messages regarding electrical advice......

Where's Elwood in London then ?
    There's an Elwood Street in Islington I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Where's Elwood in London then ?
    There's an Elwood Street in Islington I think.
    You're right. I mistakenly thought it was a suburb of London. It isn't, it's a street, as you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If only life on here was that simple.
    The OP was only asking if anyone knew a local domestic engineer Or handyman who would sort his problem out for a cash in hand hobble, or less than £99.
    You’d think that only someone who knew somebody who’d be interested would reply.
    No danger! You get pissed up goons advising him to get a new machine to Harry Enfield character “you don’t want to be doing that” to financial experts who give a fiscal breakdown of a call out.
    You gotta love it on here 😁
    Must cost people a fortune being so self righteous ALL the time.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I agree.

Llanishen.

I am Elwood Blues after the Blues Brothers character

I'm in birchgrove, i don't mind popping up after work to do it for you if I don't mind helping out a fellow city fan. Didn't realise that you had problems with your knees. Let me know, dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm in birchgrove, i don't mind popping up after work to do it for you if I don't mind helping out a fellow city fan. Didn't realise that you had problems with your knees. Let me know, dan.
    Wow. A City fan that does knee replacements on home visits.

Don't talk daft, who said that I was a city fan....

Brilliant

Also, nice one Tuerto, nice to see a bit of kindness on here

Don’t charge a bit more than expected or it’ll be you having trouble with your knees, trying to get up after an hour or two on them begging

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t charge a bit more than expected or it’ll be you having trouble with your knees, trying to get up after an hour or two on them begging
    Don't start I can tell you've worked in the building game, the bitterness is squeezing through my keyboard

Don't start I can tell you've worked in the building game, the bitterness is squeezing through my keyboard
    Still battling on in the game, although I may have to miss a few days soon, I’m running out of dry clothes!!! Worst spell of rain that I can remember, I’m toying with the idea of getting permanent indoor work.............................................. .....something along the lines of a washing machine repair man

I have no advice to offer but at least I'm not upsetting anyone.

I have no advice to offer but at least I'm not upsetting anyone.
    Yes, it’s awful someone can ask a question and get these types of responses off people.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes, it’s awful someone can ask a question and get these types of responses off people.
    Don't talk tosh, man

Don't talk tosh, man
    I thought you’d sense the sarcasm in my post.

Are you going to help fix Elwoods washing machine, or to lift the machine on top of the counter so that he can fix it himself without putting any unnecessary strain on his knees?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The thing is, sometimes even the trademen themselves don't really get it.

We had a bedroom carpet fitted a few years ago. I used a local company who sent out a fitter. I paid the company for the carpet, and £35 to the two fitters who came to put it down, arranged by the company. The fitters did a decent job and were tidy so I asked them if they did private work. They did. I ordered carpet for hall stairs and landing. Including the supply of the rods he quoted £55 to fit. I asked him how long it would take to do the hall stairs and landing. It would take two of them half a day, at least. I questioned why the cost wasn't more. He just said that's what he gets paid by the carpet companies so that's what he charges for private work.

Absolutely bonkers. £55 for a day's work?! I paid him £120. Still saved me a fortune as I could get hold of carpet and decent underlay a lot cheaper online, and he gets to earn a fair fee. He did admit afterwards that he was just starting out on private work and hadn't really thought about pricing much, but when I got him back in to quote a few years later for something else he did remember me and said he'd upped his charging and was still busy.
    You had me in the first half I won’t lie, until I read £120!

I can’t think of a decent example, but let’s say a self employed labourer gets 10/11 quid an hour, have a quick look on indeed and there are plenty of them jobs offering 8.50 which would now offer holiday pay (accrued monthly with the shit agency and minimal pension contributions)

The extra you get for being self employed IS the extra that workers get, which was why I originally started commenting yesterday I think god knows now.