+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Prison Justice served ? ? ? return of the death sentence ? ? ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Prison Justice served ? ? ? return of the death sentence ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Yes. Many killers are completely rational. They work out the costs and benefits of killing before they do it. The ones who are insane or extremely stupid are not executed.
    That’s wrong you’re pulling everything out of your own mind. Can you not see how weird it is to have such a strong opinion that isn’t based on facts?

You’ve even argued against yourself in this thread but your opinion is too entrenched to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    That’s wrong you’re pulling everything out of your own mind. Can you not see how weird it is to have such a strong opinion that isn’t based on facts?

You’ve even argued against yourself in this thread but your opinion is too entrenched to see it.
    Which bit is not based on fact and which bit is contradictory. I have known/worked with people who have killed and they seemed rational to me. At least one of them has been out of prison so long that I doubt that he ever thinks much about that part of his life. He has moved on as therapists say. His victim has missed out on all the pleasures that this murderer is now enjoying.

Which bit is not based on fact and which bit is contradictory. I have known/worked with people who have killed and they seemed rational to me. At least one of them has been out of prison so long that I doubt that he ever thinks much about that part of his life. He has moved on as therapists say. His victim has missed out on all the pleasures that this murderer is now enjoying.
    What job ave you got working with killers?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What job ave you got working with killers?
    I don't work with killers in the sense that I am looking after them or anything like that. I have just worked in the same offices or factories as them. Not long ago I was chatting to a policeman and I mentioned all the people I knew who had killed and those people who had been killed and he was surprised. He said he had no friends, acquaintances or work mates who had been killed. I have moved around a lot and I have worked in many different places so that might explain it.

I don't work with killers in the sense that I am looking after them or anything like that. I have just worked in the same offices or factories as them. Not long ago I was chatting to a policeman and I mentioned all the people I knew who had killed and those people who had been killed and he was surprised. He said he had no friends, acquaintances or work mates who had been killed. I have moved around a lot and I have worked in many different places so that might explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Multi?

this guy

Where do you work? ..... Midsomer

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Where do you work? ..... Midsomer
    I had a relative who came from Midsomer Norton to work in the mines. He made a mistake that killed more people in a few seconds than Midsomer Murders have had killed in 20 years.

I sense that eyebrows were raised by my comment about knowing murderers and murdered. But I would guess that many people on here might know someone who was killed or has killed. It is a not a tasteful thing to dwell on and these people will not want to be reminded of it.

My main point is that murder is not a remote and academic question to many people. Some would say that because 1.2 per 100,000 are murdered each year in the UK we don't have to worry about it. Divide that figure by 52 and you might feel even safer. There's little chance of us being murdered this week. How about looking at the chance that are going to be murdered in the next hour. It is tiny. But that is the wrong way to look at it. You need to look at your lifetime probability of being murdered. In some parts of the world it is terrifying. I have calculated that the chance of being murdered in Cape Town given the current murder rate and an 80 year life time is more than 5%. The UK figure will be much less, but say you have a 1 in a 1000 lifetime chance of being murdered in Cardiff which is probably about right then just imagine that at the next home game more than 20 spectators were randomly selected to be murdered. Do you think that figure is so small that the attendance wouldn't drop? Of course not. No one would turn up.

I have calculated that the chance of being murdered in Cape Town given the current murder rate and an 80 year life time is more than 5%. The UK figure will be much less, but say you have a 1 in a 1000 lifetime chance of being murdered in Cardiff which is probably about right then just imagine that at the next home game more than 20 spectators were randomly selected to be murdered. Do you think that figure is so small that the attendance wouldn't drop? Of course not. No one would turn up.
    I don't like to tell anyone how to spend their time but you definitely need to find another way to spend your time