+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harry Winks or Declan Rice?

Harry Winks or Declan Rice?

I don't want to be too dogmatic about this cos I've only watched Rice properly a handful of times but at the moment I think Winks is 10 times the player Rice is.

Rice reminds me of Eric Dier in that he can't see a forward pass, he's one dimensional and his body orientation is all wrong yet he seems to be far more of a media darling than Harry Winks.

Winks has one bad game against Munich and everyone writes him off yet Rice keeps having off days including in Cardiff last season where I thought he was awful.

Winks may not be as physically imposing as Rice but he sees the game clearer, can beat a man if necessary, has a far better passing range and is generally a superior footballer in my opinion.

Re: Harry Winks or Declan Rice?

Don't see the hype with rice at all

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I thought Winks played really well last night and gave England the forward momentum they lacked against the Czechs.

Agree ,Winks is a very good player indeed , better in my view than Rice .

Neither of them are top premier League players, both fairly average in the league. Good, but hardly going to worry too many opposition managers seeing their names on the team sheet.

There's an argument to say that Harry Kane is basically just an above average PL striker these days, before his first ankle injury he was up with the elite in a lot of metrics, but he hasn't been at that level since

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Don't see the hype with rice at all
    80 million in the summer supposedly.

Winks is underrated. I think hes a quality little player.

Both over hyped because they are English. Rice even more so because he choose England over Ireland.

I dont see anyone overhyping Winks

Saw about a minute of England's game during which they scored and Winks played two quality passes - twice the player Rice is in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I dont see anyone overhyping Winks
    So you dont think comparing him to Xavi and Iniesta is overhyping him? Okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So you dont think comparing him to Xavi and Iniesta is overhyping him? Okay then.
    I have never heard anyone say this

Who said that?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Who said that?
    Several people. The lad himself also addressed the comparisons.

I have never heard anyone say this
    Just google Harry Winks Xavi Iniesta. It’s not difficult.

We call Jonny Williams Joniesta and Joe Allen the Welsh Xavi

Xavi and Iniesta were not big names at Winks' age, and Barca at that time were probably as good as Tottenham. Now i'm not saying he will become the players they did, but on the whole I've never felt Winks gets much recognition from pundits or the media, and keeps churning out solid mature performances. Rice on the other hand is clearly being overhyped..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    We call Jonny Williams Joniesta and Joe Allen the Welsh Xavi

Xavi and Iniesta were not big names at Winks' age, and Barca at that time were probably as good as Tottenham. Now i'm not saying he will become the players they did, but on the whole I've never felt Winks gets much recognition from pundits or the media, and keeps churning out solid mature performances. Rice on the other hand is clearly being overhyped..
    "Barca at that time were probably as good as Tottenham" WTF?!?!?

"Barca at that time were probably as good as Tottenham" WTF?!?!?
    That's Tottenham who were just in the champions league final xavi and iniesta broke through in the late 90s didn't they? Barcelona won the champions League in 2006, but I don't think they were the same force back then

That's Tottenham who were just in the champions league final xavi and iniesta broke through in the late 90s didn't they? Barcelona won the champions League in 2006, but I don't think they were the same force back then
    So they got to a final of a cup competition. Big deal. When was the last time Spurs won something? The league cup a decade ago?

Barcelona were winning their league before, during and after Xavi and Iniesta broke through. They also broke through a lot younger than Winks has.

Hes not even a regular fixture in the Spurs side and hes nearly 24.