+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff University has 250 staff Earning more than £100,000 a year.

Re: Cardiff University has 250 staff Earning more than £100,000 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Where do they finish?
    It depends on what they achieve really.
    If they aren't ambitious and just plod along then add about £10k to the number.
    If they are ambitious and go for promotion then most professors (non-clinical) will be in the £60-70k bracket, but that's a long road for most researchers/academics, it's not a postdoc one minute and a professor the next.
    Promotion is dependent on a number of things including high quality publications and grant income (researchers and research academics, teaching academics have slightly different criteria).

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I can only compare to the business where I work, our turnover last year was £120million and zero employees earned over £100k. There’s around 12-15 who earn £50k+. Referring to the point about PhD my answer is around £45k-£50k
    Place I work the turnover is less than £50k and there are probably half a dozen on more than 100k ,more if you include contractors

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Place I work the turnover is less than £50k and there are probably half a dozen on more than 100k ,more if you include contractors
    I think they're running insolvent on those figures.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    Cardiff City Squad/ Manager earn a lot more? and none of them have PhD’s or are consultants who make life saving decisions everyday?
    Do you think Footballers should earn more than highly skilled Professionals?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Where do they finish?
    Getting more difficult for a PhD to be worth it. Many struggle to find a job that was worthwhile, increasingly so.

I know many who did PhDs and taught at the same time, and they continued in pretty much the same role after, perhaps going full time. After that, the career hopefully improves but it's not guaranteed

Wait, that should be £50 million

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Cardiff City Squad/ Manager earn a lot more? and none of them have PhD’s or are consultants who make life saving decisions everyday?
    They don’t have a multi billion pound tv deal and sponsorship to live off.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Getting more difficult for a PhD to be worth it. Many struggle to find a job that was worthwhile, increasingly so.

I know many who did PhDs and taught at the same time, and they continued in pretty much the same role after, perhaps going full time. After that, the career hopefully improves but it's not guaranteed
    Possibly if you're going into industry, but if you're planning to be in academia then a PhD is beneficial.
    There are some (actually many) who look down on academics without PhDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Footballers are highly skilled professionals. They also have a talent that cannot be taught. And their "product" generates a ton of money. It's only fair that they get their share. However, I do think that football is too expensive for the "consumer".

If you take out the staff that previously were attached to the Welsh National School of Medicine the number of high earners would be considerably reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    If you take out the staff that previously were attached to the Welsh National School of Medicine the number of high earners would be considerably reduced.
    If that is true it so much more acceptable , as their role is really changing lives and worth every penny we can chuck up at them

Universities are assessed via REF and TEF (whether they're fit for purpose is another argument) and these measures are linked to funding, so in reality value for money can be calculated to some degree. The average joe public may not know how much tax payer money has gone where, but that info will be recorded - how it's spent is a different matter.
    I a world where we would all like to see tuition fee's driven down , and debt to young students reduced any investigation on how our public money is spent welcome .

I am reminded of this story line

""Dame Glynis Breakwell the vice-chancellor of Bath University, whose pay package of £468,000 has agreed to step down – but faced more criticism on Tuesday after it was revealed she will continue to be paid her full salary after she leaves her post.,sorry no one is worth that
    "

Universities are assessed via REF and TEF (whether they're fit for purpose is another argument) and these measures are linked to funding, so in reality value for money can be calculated to some degree. The average joe public may not know how much tax payer money has gone where, but that info will be recorded - how it's spent is a different matter.
    Biggest proportion of funding comes from fees, taxpayer burden tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I a world where we would all like to see tuition fee's driven down , and debt to young students reduced any investigation on how our public money is spent welcome .

I am reminded of this story line

""Dame Glynis Breakwell the vice-chancellor of Bath University, whose pay package of £468,000 has agreed to step down – but faced more criticism on Tuesday after it was revealed she will continue to be paid her full salary after she leaves her post.,sorry no one is worth that
    "
    It's mental but I am afraid this is what happens when you turn them into competitive entities fighting for fee loans from students.

As interesting as this debate is Mike - its not football related - shove it on the politics board

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    As interesting as this debate is Mike - its not football related - shove it on the politics board
    Aw diddums

And there this interesting thread will die.

I bet you were the kid in school who reminded the teacher that they'd forgotten to set homework

First Team

Like it or not, the market for academics is global. GBP 100k as a salary for a senior academic isn't that abnormal for run-of-the-mill roles. I actually think, taking into account the number of medical faculty included, that Cardiff's reasonably high status in global rankings is surprising given the small number of staff earning GBP 100k or more.

Also, to whoever stated that many faculty have vast private earnings on top of their base university pay, you are deluded. Many, many faculty have zero extra pay (think English lecturer earning a few quid for writing some programme notes for the local theatre).

As long as they are making a profit and pulling on public purse strings it feels a bit better I'm still shocked when you consider their position in the pecking order of the students choice of Uni's

As long as they are making a profit and pulling on public purse strings it feels a bit better I'm still shocked when you consider their position in the pecking order of the students choice of Uni's
    They are bringing a lot of money into the country, eventually that will end up back in the public purse

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

just surprised it was high up the earnings table , Cardiff is only behind the University of Edinburgh (335) and the University of Manchester (331) on the list.
    Each of which has a large medical/healthcare department

Possibly if you're going into industry, but if you're planning to be in academia then a PhD is beneficial.
    There are some (actually many) who look down on academics without PhDs.
    A PhD is simply a must have if you’re considering a career in academia. Having published research (at least 3) in 3 or 4 star journals is a valuable addition but successful research funding grants is a clincher

My institution has a budget this year of over $1 billion dollars.
    My College which is the smallest of 3 has over 28,000 students
    I’m dean of a post graduate centre which has 5000+ students
    Professors here are paid $150,000 a year as a basic and they can earn more depending on what managerial type roles they take on.
    The Vice chancellor earns just under $1 million per year plus bonus

This in the world wide Academic community is not unusual.

In the UK however good salaries paid to some excellent academics is not very common and when published invites all kind of judgements and comparisons being made

It has been estimated that my institution contributes over $5 billion dollars to the economy of Australia per year. And in addition provides employment for thousands of support type roles which do not require any high level qualifications.

It’s a different game altogether

This is just the taxpayers alliance doing their usual stirring.