+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Congratulations to Wales Under 17s...........................

Congratulations to Wales Under 17s...........................

for qualifying for the Elite Round of the UEFA Championship after finishing second in a mini tournament played in the Netherlands involving the host nation (who are defending Champions), Slovenia and Kosovo. Wales started off with a 1-0 win over Slovenia, then scored first against the Netherlands before losing 2-1 and then beat Kosovo 4-1 yesterday to finish second in the group;-

https://www.uefa.com/under17/match/2...dings/?iv=true

There were five City players in the Wales squad, but they didn't get to see a great deal of game time between them - Taylor Jones started all three matches, Aidan Macnamara started against the Dutch and Caleb Hughes came on against Slovenia, but it looks like Ben Coley and Jac Clay were not used.

Re: Congratulations to Wales Under 17s...........................

Great stuff

Also notice Robbie savage’s boy is in the team

In international football and football on the continent the age grading is different to our domestic football.

In our domestic football the age grading follows the school calendar so a kid would be year 11 etc but in Europe it's year of birth (2004 etc).

It's interesting that there were only two starters who were under 16 and that was Josh Edward's from Swansea and Aiden McNamara from Cardiff.

Well done to Taylor Jones who started all 3 games and I believe the other Cardiff lads selected are all u16 like McNamara.

Huge achievement for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    In international football and football on the continent the age grading is different to our domestic football.

In our domestic football the age grading follows the school calendar so a kid would be year 11 etc but in Europe it's year of birth (2004 etc).

It's interesting that there were only two starters who were under 16 and that was Josh Edward's from Swansea and Aiden McNamara from Cardiff.

Well done to Taylor Jones who started all 3 games and I believe the other Cardiff lads selected are all u16 like McNamara.

Huge achievement for all involved.
    I saw Taylor Jones score for the Under 18s in a 2-1 win over QPR last season

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/great-...-of-the-table/

when we had to field a very young side due to injuries and call ups to the Under 23 side - Cian Ashford, who I think was fourteen at the time, scored the winner late on. Taylor has played a few times for the Academy team this season and has looked quite at home, while Cian has made the occasional substitute appearances and I think McNamara may have been a sub as well, but the other three names who were in the Under 17 squad mean nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

when we had to field a very young side due to injuries and call ups to the Under 23 side - Cian Ashford, who I think was fourteen at the time, scored the winner late on. Taylor has played a few times for the Academy team this season and has looked quite at home, while Cian has made the occasional substitute appearances and I think McNamara may have been a sub as well, but the other three names who were in the Under 17 squad mean nothing to me.
    Taylor Jones has been playing well I have been told.

I know Aiden McNamara has started a few games for the u18s this season, and I'm not sure if you're aware of this but they went up to Manchester United a couple of weeks ago in the midweek and beat United 5-0! He has had some terrible bad luck with freak injuries over the years but he's a very good player and his attitude and mindset are spot on.

I haven't always regarded this years 16s as the strongest age group but it has produced some really cos players (perhaps because the depth of the whole group not being so strong)

Ashford looks some player and seems to be someone who can play any style of football.
    He's still only u15s but he could play u18s comfortably.

I hope the club finds a way of getting the best out of these kids and they're not destroyed by our club in typical fashion!

I'm buzzing that these kids now have a chance to test themselves against the very best at international level against elite nations.

I don't know if you've heard of him but Xavi Simons was playing for Holland on Saturday. He has always been considered an outlier for Barcelona in their youth system but this summer he moved to PSG for 3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Taylor Jones has been playing well I have been told.

I know Aiden McNamara has started a few games for the u18s this season, and I'm not sure if you're aware of this but they went up to Manchester United a couple of weeks ago in the midweek and beat United 5-0! He has had some terrible bad luck with freak injuries over the years but he's a very good player and his attitude and mindset are spot on.

I haven't always regarded this years 16s as the strongest age group but it has produced some really cos players (perhaps because the depth of the whole group not being so strong)

Ashford looks some player and seems to be someone who can play any style of football.
    He's still only u15s but he could play u18s comfortably.

I hope the club finds a way of getting the best out of these kids and they're not destroyed by our club in typical fashion!

I'm buzzing that these kids now have a chance to test themselves against the very best at international level against elite nations.

I don't know if you've heard of him but Xavi Simons was playing for Holland on Saturday. He has always been considered an outlier for Barcelona in their youth system but this summer he moved to PSG for 3 million.
    Thanks for that, seems to me I must have seen more of McNamara than I thought then.

That's some result against Man United and reminds me of the time we beat them 5-1 in the early days of our Academy - Jon Brown was excellent that day, but he disappeared off the radar for me after being released by us after playing a couple of first team matches.

I've still not seen a great deal of Ashford, but he looks to be someone with the physique to go on and play as a target man type striker, but he also seems to be able to fit into the passing game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

We saw McNamara come on at half time against Leeds recently. Niklas Haugland had given Pritchard a tough time in the first half but was nowhere near as effective after McNamara had come on.

Harry Pinchard made his debut for Wales u-19s in a friendly against Austria last week (Sam Bowen played in both games, a bit of a forgotten man here at present).

Cameron Coxe and Mark Harris played for Wales under-21s in a 2-1 defeat in Moldova, George Ratcliffe pulled out before the start through illness. Sion Spence was on the bench.

great news lets hope they kick on

Qualification at any age group should be celebrated. Congratulations/Llongyfarchiadau to those involved.

Congratulations and well done to the youngsters.
    Spedger