+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The " 'diff "....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The " 'diff "....

Invented by students and visitors like ‘Chippy Lane’.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Invented by students and visitors like ‘Chippy Lane’.
    No it wasn’t, used by locals in 50’s and 60’s.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No it wasn’t, used by locals in 50’s and 60’s.
    I never heard it then, ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I never heard it then, ever!!
    Well it was commonplace with the young and older generation that I knew.

never heard of it as a reference

International

The other thing I hate is when people, usually youngsters are relating a conversation, and every thing said by each individual is prefaced with, "She turned round and said...." "and I turned round and said..." " Then she turned round and said...."

I can't concentrate on what I'm being told as I have this vision of people revovling in the middle of the pavement or the pub or where ever

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The other thing I hate is when people, usually youngsters are relating a conversation, and every thing said by each individual is prefaced with, "She turned round and said...." "and I turned round and said..." " Then she turned round and said...."

I can't concentrate on what I'm being told as I have this vision of people revovling in the middle of the pavement or the pub or where ever
    Funny, I've always associated that with people older than me, because the only time I ever heard it used when I was a child was by grown ups.

As for people using the diff fifty years and more ago, I never heard it in Grangetown, Fairwater or Pentrebane, the areas I lived in during my sixty years plus living in the city - I only became aware of it in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Funny, I've always associated that with people older than me, because the only time I ever heard it used when I was a child was by grown ups.

As for people using the diff fifty years and more ago, I never heard it in Grangetown, Fairwater or Pentrebane, the areas I lived in during my sixty years plus living in the city - I only became aware of it in the last decade.
    Exactly, the answer to ‘What’s the diff?’ Would never have been ‘A city in South Wales’

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I agree about older people when I was young, but I've heard conversations between teens going into town on the bus and every single thing that is related from a conversation is begun with that phrase.
    with you on the diff thing. Llandaff North Gabalfa and going to school with kids from all over the city, drinking in town in my teens I never heard 'The diff' .