+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The " 'diff "....

Re: The " 'diff "....

I hate it, never heard anyone from Cardiff call it "the diff". Same goes for "Chippy Lane/Alley"

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I never heard it then, ever!!
    Well it was commonplace with the young and older generation that I knew.

never heard of it as a reference

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Does anybody on here actually use this term to describe Cardiff? Where exactly did it come from?
    Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It might have been all that was left when K..R was unceremoniously removed from our chant of the 70/80s

As The Smith's once said 'What difference does it make?'

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As The Smith's once said 'What difference does it make?'
    I suspected Morrisey was behind this?

Get with the times you grumpy old farts!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The other thing I hate is when people, usually youngsters are relating a conversation, and every thing said by each individual is prefaced with, "She turned round and said...." "and I turned round and said..." " Then she turned round and said...."

I can't concentrate on what I'm being told as I have this vision of people revovling in the middle of the pavement or the pub or where ever
    Funny, I've always associated that with people older than me, because the only time I ever heard it used when I was a child was by grown ups.

As for people using the diff fifty years and more ago, I never heard it in Grangetown, Fairwater or Pentrebane, the areas I lived in during my sixty years plus living in the city - I only became aware of it in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Funny, I've always associated that with people older than me, because the only time I ever heard it used when I was a child was by grown ups.

As for people using the diff fifty years and more ago, I never heard it in Grangetown, Fairwater or Pentrebane, the areas I lived in during my sixty years plus living in the city - I only became aware of it in the last decade.
    Exactly, the answer to ‘What’s the diff?’ Would never have been ‘A city in South Wales’

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Do they take shortcuts as well ??
    They probably also see strange West Indian women at some point

I suppose it sounds hip, cool. Probably comes from the same crowd who always describe any area with pubs, bars, and restaurants as 'vibrant'.

On a slightly different note, my 'generation' have always referred to 'Tudor Road', not 'Street'. Not sure of any historical context re. this oddity..

It might have been all that was left when K..R was unceremoniously removed from our chant of the 70/80s
    I see what you did there

Top banana

I see what you did there

Top banana

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I agree about older people when I was young, but I've heard conversations between teens going into town on the bus and every single thing that is related from a conversation is begun with that phrase.
    with you on the diff thing. Llandaff North Gabalfa and going to school with kids from all over the city, drinking in town in my teens I never heard 'The diff' .

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No it wasn’t, used by locals in 50’s and 60’s.
    That just isn’t true. Lived in Ely, Roath and Canton since the early 60’s and never heard one person Use that term, till a few yrs ago.

"Work colleagues"
    "Eroding away"
    "Reversing back"

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    "Work colleagues"
    "Eroding away"
    "Reversing back"
    Superfluous tautologies?

The 'diff is cringe. It's an English student thing.
    I use 'chippy lane' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Superfluous tautologies?
    Never heard that one growing up in Cardiff either.

As much as I would never use "the diff" I can't harbor any grudge against someone who loves Cardiff enough to set up a website about it.

There are plenty of other terms that the kids come out with that we don't get parochial about, I can never see myself saying "yeet" but that in no way should stop the youth from moving the language onwards.

Here in the valleys we do get, when lads meet each other......"Wos 'appenin". Hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Here in the valleys we do get, when lads meet each other......"Wos 'appenin". Hate it.
    Very valleys

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Nelsonca61 is no student. See #56 on the Traffic Queue Jumpers thread. Shocked me that did.
    I saw Sham69 in the Students Union, the originals, although I wasn't involved the riot at the premature end of gig dust up

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Imo, anyone from Cardiff, or living in Cardiff who uses the terms Diff and Chippy Lane, should be banished from our great city for ever!!
    Let’s get some perspective here. They should be kept in our great city.....and thrown in the Taff!!😋