+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makita Cordless problem

Makita Cordless problem

Any ideas? I've got a Makita cordless that's only a few years old and is only used for odd jobs around the house.

It spins but there is absolute no torque whatsoever. It's brushless aswell so its not that.

(Thinly veiled, make this a five-pager).

Re: Makita Cordless problem

A really obvious point, but have you checked the torque setting is not on something low?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    A really obvious point, but have you checked the torque setting is not on something low?
    Yes. All the obvious reasons have been checked. Battery is good, chuck is tight, proper bits etc.

It's been looked after too.

Don't want to hammer this home but I dont think there's enough diy puns around to make this a 5 pager.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Don't want to hammer this home but I dont think there's enough diy puns around to make this a 5 pager.
    B Oddie is screwed then.

Bosch will fix it for £99:

Where did you get it from and when? Screwfix are pretty brilliant with returns.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bosch will fix it for £99:

So it's definitely not the battery and definitely not the clutch? If your battery and charger are still good, you can pick up a brand new drill with no accessories on eBay for cheaper than it would cost to get it repaired.

Have you looked on YouTube?

Just chuck it out.

(obligatory pun)

Think you've nailed it there

International

Is it a drill or a screw driver? It won't help solve the problem, I'm just nosy.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Any ideas? I've got a Makita cordless that's only a few years old and is only used for odd jobs around the house.

It spins but there is absolute no torque whatsoever. It's brushless aswell so its not that.

Chuck it away ,( no pun intended).
    I've had every expensive brand name cordless , but the one I use most came from Aldi for £39 or something. I do a lot of heavy work with it because I do property development and build all sorts of stuff such as log cabins for fun in my retirement. I don't generally buy cheap tools, but this was bought for an emergency job and it's become my first choice.
    Pop into Aldi then, but in any case my experience is that once these things go wrong they're not worth the time buggering about to try and fix them so replace it.

Mate of mine had a tool hire/repair business, he eventually had to wrap it in, we’re a chuck away society now, very often cheaper to buy new rather than hire or get repaired.

Showing my age here, but when I first started in the building trade, I used to use a ratchet screwdriver. What a god send battery tools have been.

My lads have their own carpentry company so I've repaired a few of these for them.As you say not much that can go wrong which leads me to believe that the trigger switch is faulty.The repair cost varies with the model number but is fairly straightforward to do.Before you go down that road though check the drill with different battery first.

Mate of mine had a tool hire/repair business, he eventually had to wrap it in, we’re a chuck away society now, very often cheaper to buy new rather than hire or get repaired.
    I share your regret for this, but we've got to accept reality unfortunately, and this guy just needs to get the job moving asap with least cost and delay , so it's dusty bin for the Makita I'm afraid !

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Showing my age here, but when I first started in the building trade, I used to use a ratchet screwdriver. What a god send battery tools have been.

I've still got a set of Yankees in oil cloths waiting for the chance to go back into action ! I've always said that the invention of power drivers was the greatest thing in speeding up jobs. Jobs which take half an hour could have taken a week in the oast

Torque is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Torque is cheap.

Very good !
    You should sell that line to an advertising firm.

Strange as its top end equipment try e mail Makita

Any news?

I have a lot of Makita gear, so I'm interested to hear how this pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Any news?

The washing machine is fixed is the only good news that I can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Any news?

I've been advised that it's possibly a worn leaf spring but I haven't checked it out myself yet. I'll have a look over the weekend. I hope it's that because it's a 50p fix.

The washing machine is fixed is the only good news that I can offer.
    Well that's good to know.