+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxing.

Boxing.

Watched the Hearn interview and couldn’t help but think that he was shedding crocodile tears. The gravy train is being threatened

Feels like extreme exploitation to me.

Re: Boxing.

I think he's sincere. He makes a hell of a lot of money from it but he also absolutely loves the sport.

Boxing isn't going to change to a point where he, other promoters and indeed the fighters themselves aren't making money.

Eddie Hearn has already killed boxing. Derek Chisora v David Price on Box Office. Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Eddie Hearn has already killed boxing. Derek Chisora v David Price on Box Office. Jesus wept.
    We’ve had this discussion before.
    I am a big boxing fan. I go to a lot of live shows.
    I also pay to watch it on the TV.
    Nobody is forced to pay for it, just as nobody is forced to pay sky or virgin to watch any other sport.
    You might think paying for Chisora Price is a farce.
    Others like me, if I can’t make it to the event, think it’s value for money as you get front row seats for the main event and also every other fight on the card..

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We’ve had this discussion before.
    I am a big boxing fan. I go to a lot of live shows.
    I also pay to watch it on the TV.
    Nobody is forced to pay for it, just as nobody is forced to pay sky or virgin to watch any other sport.
    You might think paying for Chisora Price is a farce.
    Others like me, if I can’t make it to the event, think it’s value for money as you get front row seats for the main event and also every other fight on the card..
    We already paying for it in our sky sports subscription.

We already paying for it in our sky sports subscription.
    Quite right.
    If WT wants to pay extra on top of his already expensive Sky subscription that’s up to him.

However, it’s embarrassing that Sky are trying to sell this as something major when both of these boxers are quite frankly, shite.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Quite right.
    If WT wants to pay extra on top of his already expensive Sky subscription that’s up to him.

However, it’s embarrassing that Sky are trying to sell this as something major when both of these boxers are quite frankly, shite.
    Box office started off as the odd big world class fight and we had maybe 2 a year. Now theres one every month.

Chisora was good value in both fights against Whyte but David Price? Do me a favour.

None of the fighters on the bill will be getting box office purses. Its all to line Hearns pockets.

Box office started off as the odd big world class fight and we had maybe 2 a year. Now theres one every month.

Chisora was good value in both fights against Whyte but David Price? Do me a favour.
    Spot on. Every fight now seems to be box office - it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Quite right.

I can see where you and JR are coming from, but I am and always have been a genuine boxing fan.
    You may think Chisora and Price are shite, and I agree neither are world beaters, but I have time for both of them. As for paying the extra cash, for me personally it’s a lot cheaper than getting to the actual venue.
    I’ve seen plenty of shite down the city over the past 40 yrs, but I keep going and paying my hard earned because I’m a City supporter.

I can see where you and JR are coming from, but I am and always have been a genuine boxing fan.
    You may think Chisora and Price are shite, and I agree neither are world beaters, but I have time for both of them. As for paying the extra cash, for me personally it’s a lot cheaper than getting to the actual venue.
    I’ve seen plenty of shite down the city over the past 40 yrs, but I keep going and paying my hard earned because I’m a City supporter.
    You wouldnt pay EPL ticket prices to watch City if we were playing in the Welsh Premier League!!!!

Theres not even a discounted rate for this b-tec box office event. Still £20 ffs!!!

I have a lot of time for any fighter that steps into the ring. Both my father and uncle were professional boxers. Its easy to critisicse from behind the ropes.

But this card is never a "Box Office" event in a million years.

Ive seen better cards on local Saniger events.

You wouldnt pay EPL ticket prices to watch City if we were playing in the Welsh Premier League!!!!

Theres not even a discounted rate for this b-tec box office event. Still £20 ffs!!!
    You are missing my point. I am agreeing with you that there is too much PPV when it comes to boxing
    What you don’t seem to understand though, is if I could afford it and afford to take more time off my work, I’d go to that show.
    I can’t, but I can afford to pay £20 to watch the whole show from the comfort of my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Spot on. Every fight now seems to be box office - it's a joke.
    On Sky Sports in the last few weeks weve got to see a brutal fight between Golovkin and Derevyanchenko , and Errol Spence Jr vs Shawn Porter was an absolute cracker.

Then we are being asked to pay £20 to see Chisora v Price Theyve got more losses on their records than Cardiff City in a premier League season ffs!!!

You are missing my point. I am agreeing with you that there is too much PPV when it comes to boxing
    What you don’t seem to understand though, is if I could afford it and afford to take more time off my work, I’d go to that show.
    I can’t, but I can afford to pay £20 to watch the whole show from the comfort of my living room.
    Go to that show if you werent working my arse.

See this is where anonymous posters and MB’s fail. You know absolutely nothing about me.
    I travel all over the country with a good mate of mine, when we can, to boxing shows. I’ve been to more bouts than you’ve had hot dinners.
    If you don’t believe that, then it’s absolutely no skin off my shit.

See this is where anonymous posters and MB’s fail. You know absolutely nothing about me.
    I travel all over the country with a good mate of mine, when we can, to boxing shows. I’ve been to more bouts than you’ve had hot dinners.
    If you don’t believe that, then it’s absolutely no skin off my shit.
    Course you do.

Why not? It's live sport, thousands will be there. There are also many tiny venues where people pay to get in consisting of fighters I haven't heard of, far from any of the glitz and glam.

I've paid more for some awful football matches.

I like chisora, if I was working in London this week I may well have gone. Also worth noting he wasn't the main bout even with Parker as his opponent.

Should it be ppv? Not for me but you know the deal when you renew your sky subscription, they clearly make money from it so why wouldn't they do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Why not? It's live sport, thousands will be there. There are also many tiny venues where people pay to get in consisting of fighters I haven't heard of, far from any of the glitz and glam.

I've paid more for some awful football matches.

I like chisora, if I was working in London this week I may well have gone. Also worth noting he wasn't the main bout even with Parker as his opponent.

Should it be ppv? Not for me but you know the deal when you renew your sky subscription, they clearly make money from it so why wouldn't they do so.
    I like Chisora too but I dont believe the Flowerman would travel a couple of hundred miles to the O2, spending a few hundred quid, to watch a b-tech event.

Yes I know Prograis v Taylor is the main event but the fact theyve had to champion a fight that isnt even the main bout to try and sell the event is proof that this is not, and should never be, PPV.

And then, that bout they were relying on to sell the event has had to change with a month to spare and they have drafted in a journeyman to fight another journeyman makes an even bigger mockery of it.

Course you do.
    You really are making a James Hunt if yourself here, and it’s needless. There must be a deeper rooted problem with you.
    You always seem to show a lot of bitterness.

You really are making a James Hunt if yourself here, and it’s needless. There must be a deeper rooted problem with you.
    You always seem to show a lot of bitterness.

Ah bless. Dont take the internet so serious mun. Isnt that your mantra?

Ah bless. Dont take the internet so serious mun. Isnt that your mantra?
    It is indeed. Just go with the flow. You’ll find it easier. 😁

I get that it’s cheaper to pay the 20 quid than it is to go watch it.
    It’s cheaper than spending money out at the pub to watch it as well.

I didn’t think that was the argument.

People pay £30+ a month for sky sports already, the PPV events really need to be something for them to charge £20.

They could even charge £20 for the better ones and shit like this card could be 9.99... it should be free mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I get that it’s cheaper to pay the 20 quid than it is to go watch it.
    It’s cheaper than spending money out at the pub to watch it as well.

I didn’t think that was the argument.

People pay £30+ a month for sky sports already, the PPV events really need to be something for them to charge £20.

They could even charge £20 for the better ones and shit like this card could be 9.99... it should be free mind.
    In football terms its like charging £30 for a months worth of football and then charging £20 just to watch Bolton v Blackpool.

In football terms its like charging £30 for a months worth of football and then charging £20 just to watch Bolton v Blackpool.
    Be worth it to see Mortensen’s hattrick

Exactly.

I’m not sure what’s not to get here tbh!!