+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are our players technically better than 'hoof ball'?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Are our players technically better than 'hoof ball'?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    When sides drop off and leave us space as Wednesday did in the 2nd half we have more room and can pass it around in front of them, but without time on the ball I just don't think we have Championship standard footballers in the centre of midfield. Tomlin,yes, but starting with Ralls, Pack and Bacuna you've probably got the least skilful trio in the division. Everything comes from the middle, and wingers, forwards, they all need good service. We just don't have the ability at this level. We were dire for 45 minutes on Friday..
    Our manager's frequent use of the term "bread and butter" players when talking about the central midfield area gives his feelings on that area of the pitch away, so I tend to agree - our squad has less skill and/or technical ability than average for this division, individually, they all have some ability they wouldn't be able to make careers for themselves at this level if they didn't), but, collectively I feel it falls short of what you get elsewhere.

Another very telling example of the squad's limitations came against Fulham when faced with the prospect of playing against ten men for the last quarter of the game. Fulham, who had been almost completely dominating possession, decided to hang on to the point they had and, suddenly, we had a situation where we had far more of the ball and the onus was on us to force the issue.

I think it's true to say that the classic way to play when up against ten men is to move them around by maintaining possession and making full use of all areas of the pitch, but all we did was pump high balls forward - could it be that Fulham knew we were incapable of wearing down in the classic manner and so felt they would be comfortable if they just concentrated on winning second balls, because that's how things panned out?

Re: Are our players technically better than 'hoof ball'?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our manager's frequent use of the term "bread and butter" players when talking about the central midfield area gives his feelings on that area of the pitch away, so I tend to agree - our squad has less skill and/or technical ability than average for this division, individually, they all have some ability they wouldn't be able to make careers for themselves at this level if they didn't), but, collectively I feel it falls short of what you get elsewhere.

Another very telling example of the squad's limitations came against Fulham when faced with the prospect of playing against ten men for the last quarter of the game. Fulham, who had been almost completely dominating possession, decided to hang on to the point they had and, suddenly, we had a situation where we had far more of the ball and the onus was on us to force the issue.

I think it's true to say that the classic way to play when up against ten men is to move them around by maintaining possession and making full use of all areas of the pitch, but all we did was pump high balls forward - could it be that Fulham knew we were incapable of wearing down in the classic manner and so felt they would be comfortable if they just concentrated on winning second balls, because that's how things panned out?
    Probably Monk's thinking as well during the second half...