+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: NW "Charitable Defending"

NW "Charitable Defending"

That's all very well Neil but maybe some self reflection on your summer signings may be more appropriate. You've paired probably the slowest central defenders in the league. You can get away with one of the two as long as you have someone with a bit of pace alongside them, but the two together was always going to be unsustainable as is being proven. Most fans called it.

I hear Flint is still in London turning to watch Bradshaw zip past him.

Flint and Morrison may have worked years back when the quality and pace of the league was different but this is 2019 not 1989.

Re: NW "Charitable Defending"

It does make it quite easy for opposition managers, don’t try and turn the game into an aerial battle (those days are gone anyway, bar here) just put your sharpest forward up front. Hypothetically if we were playing Cardiff City I’d put Hoilett as our central striker and instruct him to run them every opportunity.

Defence is a large part of it but having done some quick wiki research Warnock in his three pre seasons and January windows here has spent £55 million on this squad.

Sadly about £50 million of that money has not made the squad or has had a chance and been left out (see Glatzel this season).

I'm all for congratulating Warnock on his promotion but this team should be better than it currently is. It looks a team nobbled together in one window rather than by a man who has had 6 (maybe more) transfer windows and that amount of money.

Warnock’s quote after the Reading game:

"We've been poor at the back, really poor. It was the same at Wigan (where Cardiff lost 3-2) when we should have won that game.

"You can't really cater for the goals that we've let in. I don't think it's been an individual really. Quite a few of them have been making mistakes and we've been punished for them.

"You've got to defend better than we did today. We're in the Championship and some of our defending was really poor. When you're defending as badly as we are, it doesn't matter whether you're playing in the U13s or in the Premier League, you're going to lose games."

Pretty reads the same as his comments after the Millwall game, yet the back 4 has remained the same. I appreciate you defend from the front but a lot of the goals given away haven’t been due to lack of cover, they’ve been down to repeated individual mistakes. I would give Nelson a chance at CB, probably alongside Morrison as it would offer more balance.