+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who has been the best performing striker under the reign of Warnock?

Who has been the best performing striker under the reign of Warnock?

I think, the way way we play, even Ronaldo & Lewendoski would struggle to look good for us.

So, who has been the best?

Zohore during that purple patch?
    Pilkington didn't do bad as it wasn't his position

We've certainly had some right stinkers!

Re: Who has been the best performing striker under the reign of Warnock?

You say that, but the way the team plays, with a man up front expected to do the heavy lifting, whilst the rest are holding off the opposition doesn’t really go hand in hand with big scoring strikers and the evidence is there with the distribution of goal scorers - and the amount scored by each...

lets be honest ...he hasn't managed to produce a real goal scorer during his time with ccfc.

The answer is Zohore with 12 goal in 2016/17. He then got 9 in 2017/18.

To touch on a point I made in the Glatzel thread about strikers in our team being seen as nothing more than a battering ram who is to hold up the ball and win free kicks with the rest of the team chipping in with goals especially from set pieces - While Zohore, our lone striker in most games, got 9 goals in our promotion season of 2017/18, Morrison, a centre half, wasn't far behind and got 7. Paterson got 10 in that season and Hoilett got 11.

Warnock Cardiff City teams do not seem to play to the strengths of a striker and the striker, not being overly picky on who it is that does the thankless task, is meant to do two simple jobs - hold the ball up long enough to bring the midfield forward and to win free kicks so we can send the big lads forward en masse for a ball lumped in to the box.

To say it is depressing to watch a team set up primarily to stop the other team playing rather than attack ourselves is an understatement. We hardly play with any endeavour and entertaining fans seems to be very low on the agenda.

I'm grateful to Warnock for the promotion but we also got relegated and aren't a world away from where we were when he came in. I'd go as far as to say we were more attacking before he came but it isn't hard.

Zohore. No question. But he hardly set the world alight.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Zohore. No question. But he hardly set the world alight.
    He didn't at all and scored roughly 1 in 4 and just under in some seasons.
    It is roughly where Glatzel is at the moment.

The question I ask is will Warnock change up things to create more for any striker or play two up top?
    Given that his teams set up for anti football, in that he sets up to stop opposition teams playing any meaningful football and gives City very little licence to knock the ball around, I can't see it any time soon.

In terms of what Warnock wants from a striker, Danny Ward? Scored a couple of really good Championship goals, scored our first Premier League goal and his away performance against Chelsea was probably what Warnock wants any striker to do.

If we can include wingers Holilet for me, he has been a consistent player scored 15 just 7 behind Ken and probaly supplied many more goals for others.

I don’t really understand our plan when attacking. We don’t get quality crosses into the box and we also don’t play in behind.

It’s just a war of attrition

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don’t really understand our plan when attacking. We don’t get quality crosses into the box and we also don’t play in behind.

It’s just a war of attrition
    Totally that.

It seems most of our goals come from a defensive blunder (see Boro home), a good deal of fortune (see the goal last Friday against Sheff W) or seems to be the law of averages with set piece balls into the box where it is like land of the giants from our point of view.

I am actually surprised if we score from open play due to simple good play these days. Glatzel's goal at Hull was poetry in motion for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    In terms of what Warnock wants from a striker, Danny Ward? Scored a couple of really good Championship goals, scored our first Premier League goal and his away performance against Chelsea was probably what Warnock wants any striker to do.
    Camarasa scored our first goal back in the Premier League not Ward. Ward scored the second.

https://youtu.be/WnDVctd0EdE

Dare I suggest Paterson, who scored 4 in 14 in the Premier League. That was a better return per game than we had from Zohore the season before.

Definitely zohore. we were actually a good side when he was playing well

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    The answer is Zohore with 12 goal in 2016/17. He then got 9 in 2017/18.

To touch on a point I made in the Glatzel thread about strikers in our team being seen as nothing more than a battering ram who is to hold up the ball and win free kicks with the rest of the team chipping in with goals especially from set pieces - While Zohore, our lone striker in most games, got 9 goals in our promotion season of 2017/18, Morrison, a centre half, wasn't far behind and got 7. Paterson got 10 in that season and Hoilett got 11.

Warnock Cardiff City teams do not seem to play to the strengths of a striker and the striker, not being overly picky on who it is that does the thankless task, is meant to do two simple jobs - hold the ball up long enough to bring the midfield forward and to win free kicks so we can send the big lads forward en masse for a ball lumped in to the box.

To say it is depressing to watch a team set up primarily to stop the other team playing rather than attack ourselves is an understatement. We hardly play with any endeavour and entertaining fans seems to be very low on the agenda.

I'm grateful to Warnock for the promotion but we also got relegated and aren't a world away from where we were when he came in. I'd go as far as to say we were more attacking before he came but it isn't hard.
    It’s actually depressing to read how we play.

Has Warnock ever had a stiker score 20 goals in the league while he was managing?