+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 100 draft (Cricket)

The 100 draft (Cricket)

Anyone watching this?
    So American it’s unreal, piss take or a good idea?

Re: The 100 draft (Cricket)

Steve Smith picked for Welsh Fire

Mitchell Starc for the Fire decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Mitchell Starc for the Fire decent.
    Impressive signings to date fair play.

Smith and Starc at Sophia Gardens next year so I say it's a good thing regardless of how it comes about.

Watched a bit. It's very different but creates a bit of drama so it is what it is.

And Bairstow .Ravi Rampaul seamer.

Need a spinner.

Love it cant wait .

Will be a sell out .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Anyone watching this?
    So American it’s unreal, piss take or a good idea?
    I like the idea im no cricket fan but its intriguing. Id love football to something similar

We got 3 wicket keepers ??

Not a competition that interests me. Will it be a success?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Not a competition that interests me. Will it be a success?
    If you like cricket , you get to see some of the best in the world playing for you , I think it will be a success, it might effect Glamogans 20/20 though.

We got one of the best batsman in the world playing for us, I think that’ll be enough to draw the crowds in.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If you like cricket , you get to see some of the best in the world playing for you , I think it will be a success, it might effect Glamogans 20/20 though.
    I just don’t see the attachment. It’s not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    We got one of the best batsman in the world playing for us, I think that’ll be enough to draw the crowds in.

I just don’t see it as “us”. One Glammy player. No Welshman. More Glos players than Glammy.

I just don’t see it as “us”. One Glammy player. No Welshman. More Glos players than Glammy.
    I think the "us " is far removed from most sporting franchises these days .

You could argue our own club is about being about the highest bidder attracting players .

The Premiership is just that with some teams who hardly got a handful of British players in thier first eleven and are run by wealthy owners ?

Glammy captain Chris Cooke playing for Birmingham.

I don't understand it, but then I don't understand cricket rules and formats as a whole either and never have. I enjoyed listening to the Ashes in the summer on the radio however.

Glammy captain Chris Cooke playing for Birmingham.
    That is going to be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    ..I was at the Oval...44 all out..can't affect it enough for me.

I really hope this joke of a tournament fails. The Welsh side should be interesting to watch mind, very good batting lineup, but starc and harmer aside what an absolutely shocking bowling lineup. should be 200 plus scores most weeks

What I don't get is what will a 100 ball an innings game give us that a 120 ball an innings game does not?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What I don't get is what will a 100 ball an innings game give us that a 120 ball an innings game does not?
    It gives you the opportunity to have a new format, and the buzz around that, it give the chance to try the franchise system in this country. Will Wales fill out Sophia Gardens, because Glamorgan can't.

Because T20 is the cash cow for Counties they want a longer window thus the star players cannot come, there needed to be a structure outside the counties hands to experiment.

This country had an opportunity to do something like this when T20 was introduced, it didn't, it played safe. The IPL and the Big Bash overtook the English structure, and are now stronger brands.

As a traditional cricket fan, i'm not a massive fan of this, but cricket in the UK certainly needs something like this, and even if it fails it is worth the try to answer the franchise question alone.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It gives you the opportunity to have a new format, and the buzz around that, it give the chance to try the franchise system in this country. Will Wales fill out Sophia Gardens, because Glamorgan can't.

Because T20 is the cash cow for Counties they want a longer window thus the star players cannot come, there needed to be a structure outside the counties hands to experiment.

This country had an opportunity to do something like this when T20 was introduced, it didn't, it played safe. The IPL and the Big Bash overtook the English structure, and are now stronger brands.

As a traditional cricket fan, i'm not a massive fan of this, but cricket in the UK certainly needs something like this, and even if it fails it is worth the try to answer the franchise question alone.
    I often see full houses at televised T20 games, the fact that Glamorgan cannot attract full houses for the competition is a sign that the South Wales cricket fan is more discerning than those in the rest of the country . Seriously, your answer is all about money, but this gimmick deserves to fail - can you really see people driving to Cardiff from Taunton and Bristol to support a team that is supposed to be representing them and is called Welsh Fire?

I often see full houses at televised T20 games, the fact that Glamorgan cannot attract full houses for the competition is a sign that the South Wales cricket fan is more discerning than those in the rest of the country . Seriously, your answer is all about money, but this gimmick deserves to fail - can you really see people driving to Cardiff from Taunton and Bristol to support a team that is supposed to be representing them and is called Welsh Fire?
    Its not all about money, its about attracting a new base of fans to the game.

I work with 5-8 year olds in cricket and at that age group and their parents have no knowledge of the sport in any form at all. Cricket research has shown that if you go into schools with photos of international cricket players the children do not recognise them. That paints a bleak picture of the sport in this country.

What we have is established cricket areas which attracts a hardcore of fans, and can sell out their stadiums for T20.

Are there too many counties, which dilutes the product. Are the young fans of today not associating with Counties like Northamptonshire, Glamorgan, etc, and would prefer a City based system. There are loads of questions that are open in cricket today, that the 100 is trying to answer. It will certainly be interesting to see the response.

I cannot see many driving from Taunton or Bristol, ideally their fans will continue to support the counties that still exist.

What i would like to see is the Welsh Fire to attract new Welsh cricket fans.

Dreadful kits with crisp logos on the front?

Further erosion of the notion of belonging to where you come from?

A clear and stated gender pay gap?

An understandable format for people who cannot count to six?

But you do raise a good point and I question whether they've gone far enough with this new format. I'm not sure we need a new format - I think what we need is essentially a new game. Why not make it 10 runs for clearing the boundary and call it something stupid like the CPL has done, where it is seemingly known as a "hero maximum"? Why not allow RHBs to elect to bat LHB for up to 5 deliveries with any runs they score counting double? Why not have 4 stumps instead of 3, and allow the wicket keeper to place the "extra" stump in a position of his choosing in a defined area behind the batter? Why not do away with LBW and instead of being given out, the batter is simply not allowed to stand on whichever leg is hit by the ball for the rest of the over? Why not allow each team to field an MLB pitcher to deliver up to 10 balls, baseball-style? Why not allow batting teams to field an NFL linebacker in the outfield, and allow him to block/tackle any fielders trying to retrieve the ball? After a no-ball, why not blindfold the bowler for the rest of the over rather than making him retake the delivery?

I've no issue with The Hundred really (apart from the kits which are simply unforgivable). It's something else to do with your mates rather than go to the pub and I've been quite enjoying the CPL. But the only reason that cricket matters is test cricket - everything should be geared towards improving the international side and as The Hundred clearly will not, I don't really see why it needs to come under the umbrella of cricket at all. They may as well invent a new game.