Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And Bairstow .Ravi Rampaul seamer.

Need a spinner.

Love it cant wait .

Will be a sell out .
    It is a sell out.

Re: The 100 draft (Cricket)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Dreadful kits with crisp logos on the front?

Further erosion of the notion of belonging to where you come from?

A clear and stated gender pay gap?

An understandable format for people who cannot count to six?

But you do raise a good point and I question whether they've gone far enough with this new format. I'm not sure we need a new format - I think what we need is essentially a new game. Why not make it 10 runs for clearing the boundary and call it something stupid like the CPL has done, where it is seemingly known as a "hero maximum"? Why not allow RHBs to elect to bat LHB for up to 5 deliveries with any runs they score counting double? Why not have 4 stumps instead of 3, and allow the wicket keeper to place the "extra" stump in a position of his choosing in a defined area behind the batter? Why not do away with LBW and instead of being given out, the batter is simply not allowed to stand on whichever leg is hit by the ball for the rest of the over? Why not allow each team to field an MLB pitcher to deliver up to 10 balls, baseball-style? Why not allow batting teams to field an NFL linebacker in the outfield, and allow him to block/tackle any fielders trying to retrieve the ball? After a no-ball, why not blindfold the bowler for the rest of the over rather than making him retake the delivery?

I've no issue with The Hundred really (apart from the kits which are simply unforgivable). It's something else to do with your mates rather than go to the pub and I've been quite enjoying the CPL. But the only reason that cricket matters is test cricket - everything should be geared towards improving the international side and as The Hundred clearly will not, I don't really see why it needs to come under the umbrella of cricket at all. They may as well invent a new game.
    What it really needs is celebrity players (Ant, Dec and Cordon would be up for it!), and maybe Diana Ross bowling a over of off breaks to start the whole thing off?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It is a sell out.
    We don't get to see the best in the world playing in any sport in Cardiff ,now we do , bring it on it looks a great format and idea , for the negative amongst us it will bring in crowds , money ,jobs and provided a platform for youngsters who want to see and play the game as well as the obvious commercial aspect , for Glamorgan it could save them financially and pull in interest from non cricket fans to see and support the game ,nice to see the ladies version alongside it .

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Anyone watching this?
    So American it’s unreal, piss take or a good idea?
    It’s not for me.
    Manufactured teams , destroys the one day game and we already have T20 which is a world wide hit.
    I give it a couple of years at best before the plug is pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What it really needs is celebrity players (Ant, Dec and Cordon would be up for it!), and maybe Diana Ross bowling a over of off breaks to start the whole thing off?
    Id pay to see Jofra Archer bowl at Cordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    It’s not for me.
    Manufactured teams , destroys the one day game and we already have T20 which is a world wide hit.
    I give it a couple of years at best before the plug is pulled.
    This.

I normally try to get to T20 so will most probably give this a go ..... although as said earlier I can’t see people making the journey across the bridge to cheer a team called Welsh Fire also I am sure I heard Women’s team will play their games at Bristol and Taunton so they won’t actually be playing in Wales

My initial reaction was i wouldnt watch this and its a stupid idea. Everything should be done to protect Test Cricket and the 4 day game. When this was announced i said i wouldn't be going.

However ive changed my mind totally. A chance to see the best players in the world. Big crowds hopefully and a great bit of entertainment. Paricipation in cricket is falling. If this gets kids wanting to get involved in the game then its got to be a good thing.

Its not ' proper' cricket but who cares if it brings out the crowds and gets people wanting to get involved in the game.

One is thing I found a bit odd was the very visible stating of salary bands. How much time is this competition going to take up?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    One is thing I found a bit odd was the very visible stating of salary bands. How much time is this competition going to take up?
    The salary band and auction format is similar to what is used in the ipl. Its very popular there and is quite an event.

Here you had players effectively saying i will play for 100k and nothing else, and not getting selected and players with no reserve getting big money because managers wanted them in their team, the bands allowed for teams to only have so many top stars in their team.

The competition will take place over 5 weeks after the counties play the T20 blast.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The salary band and auction format is similar to what is used in the ipl. Its very popular there and is quite an event.

Here you had players effectively saying i will play for 100k and nothing else, and not getting selected and players with no reserve getting big money because managers wanted them in their team, the bands allowed for teams to only have so many top stars in their team.

The competition will take place over 5 weeks after the counties play the T20 blast.
    Fair enough - in that case the pay makes sense.

I've seen criticism of the Welsh side because it is top heavy with batsmen, this article paints a more optimistic picture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50119549

http://cricviz.com/2019/10/cricviz-a...n-t20-cricket/

I thought smith was a strange top pick at the time. Can’t help thinking his selection- and most of the welsh fire ones were informed by players they could market and how well known they are than by their performances.