+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three More Years

Re: Three More Years

Why does Boris want an election? Does he not accept the democratic vote of the people from 2017? Why is that vote less relevant than an earlier vote from 2016?

Because we don't elect governments open endedly, whereas a referrendum is a straight answer to a question with the expectation that it will be acted upon

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Conspiracy - "a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful"

I'll just leave that there.

There are many meanings to the word, and that's not even the correct legal definition . In any case you can't dodge the complaint because you think the wrong word was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why does Boris want an election? Does he not accept the democratic vote of the people from 2017? Why is that vote less relevant than an earlier vote from 2016?
    Different type of vote.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    There are many meanings to the word, and that's not even the correct legal definition . In any case you can't dodge the complaint because you think the wrong word was used.
    Lots of wrong words being used at the moment, like traitor and surrender.

Ultimately, what we are seeing is a government with a majority of -40+ trying to push through rather extreme legislation. No conspiracy, parliament doing its job.

I think they've been needlessly obstructive so often and for so long that we must conclude that they're putting their heads together to thwart the public vote. Many many people agree with me, but it's ultimately a matter of opinion at one level .
    On another level, we must wonder how many supporters of the process blockers know they're cheating but are happy to go along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I think they've been needlessly obstructive so often and for so long that we must conclude that they're putting their heads together to thwart the public vote. Many many people agree with me, but it's ultimately a matter of opinion at one level .
    On another level, we must wonder how many supporters of the process blockers know they're cheating but are happy to go along with that.
    They haven't thwarted the vote. I'll remind you:

The result of the referendum was to leave the EU. It didn't say when it would happen, how we would leave or what the future relationship would be.

They aren't obliged to ram through any old brexit because Boris set a deadline and honestly, you might want politicians that buckle when blackmailed, but I am glad number 10's tricks haven't worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    They haven't thwarted the vote. I'll remind you:

The result of the referendum was to leave the EU. It didn't say when it would happen, how we would leave or what the future relationship would be.

They aren't obliged to ram through any old brexit because Boris set a deadline and honestly, you might want politicians that buckle when blackmailed, but I am glad number 10's tricks haven't worked.
    Brexshit supporters can't seem to grasp the fact that the 2016 referendum was not legally binding; it was purely advisory.

Therefore there is no obligation on any MP to accept the result if he or she opines it is against the national interest. Yes the Brexshit lot keep on piling on this moral indignation because Parliament will not bow to the "will of the people" whatever that might be; however, our elected representatives have a duty to make decisions to the best of their judgement and as their consciences allow. They are not merely in Parliament to rubber stamp public opinion, otherwise we could save their huge salaries and get any old Tom, Dick and Harry to do that.

Do you think M.Ps are terribly clever people then, cause they're really not.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Different type of vote.
    Indeed the Brexit vote clearly crossed political lines .

Boris believes hes a more popular choice than May .

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Brexshit supporters can't seem to grasp the fact that the 2016 referendum was not legally binding; it was purely advisory.

Therefore there is no obligation on any MP to accept the result if he or she opines it is against the national interest. Yes the Brexshit lot keep on piling on this moral indignation because Parliament will not bow to the "will of the people" whatever that might be; however, our elected representatives have a duty to make decisions to the best of their judgement and as their consciences allow. They are not merely in Parliament to rubber stamp public opinion, otherwise we could save their huge salaries and get any old Tom, Dick and Harry to do that.
    Wasnt there a commitment statement on the ballot paper along the lines the goverment will inact the decision.?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wasnt there a commitment statement on the ballot paper along the lines the goverment will inact the decision.?
    Not on mine. But then mine didn't have the options of 'remain' or 'no deal' either - unlike several others on this board!

Ref ballot paper.jpg

I believe it was printed on the leaflet which the government sent to all voters. We were also told this by the PM - I don't have to post links to that do I ?